• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fired up 13 year old looking to join ranks of USMC Pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarish1

Account won't be used 'til further notice...
But yeah I'm pretty dead on this. What bothers me is that I have friends who say that they wanna join the Green Berets, SEALs, one says he wants to be a Scout Sniper but they don't wanna do any of the required investigating and I'm kinda concerned if they'll make it into the Green Berets or SEALs or Scout Snipers.

Here we go again.....
?

gotta_fly

pilot
[Get your Eagle Scout...]

I second this; few items on your resume will stand out as much as Eagle Scout. When I was applying for my NROTC scholarship I was chosen for an additional interview for early selection and told it would be grueling and very challenging. The interviewer (a high-ranking Navy officer) took one look at my resume, then proceeded to chat with me about his and my Eagle projects for the allotted interview time. When the time was up he shook my hand and congratulated me without ever asking a single question.

I wouldn't worry about contacting any colleges or NROTC units until you're at least a sophomore or junior in HS. Getting good grades and staying off drugs (see a trend?) is all you ought to be concerned with now. Also, lose the Marines muscle brains whatever thing you said before. Marine pilots have to be some of the most intelligent people out there, just like aviators of every service. Getting good grades in P.E. doesn't mean anything in the long run.

Good luck to you and keep your eye on the prize! As someone who felt the way you did when I was your age I can tell you the time does fly by and before you know it you'll be flying. :)

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
But yeah I'm pretty dead on this. What bothers me is that I have friends who say that they wanna join the Green Berets, SEALs, one says he wants to be a Scout Sniper but they don't wanna do any of the required investigating and I'm kinda concerned if they'll make it into the Green Berets or SEALs or Scout Snipers.

Holy lord man. Worry about yourself. I don't know a 13 year old boy who wouldn't want to be a SEAL or Green Beret but worrying about whether your friends will be able to become one of them is just plain silly.

Things are going to change a lot for you and your friends in the next five years. In ten years you'll change even more. It's great that you think you know what you want to do with your life but take it a day at a time. Worry about how you're doing in school not the ASTB. You're worried about step #732 and you should be looking at step #10. Get good grades, stay out of trouble, play sports. The rest will take care of its self if your goals don't change in the next 5 years.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think you or your friends realize just how goddamned much work it is to accomplish any of those things. Not knocking you - few people do figure that out at your age, and I have plenty of flight students who still haven't figured it out. But it's not a matter of signing up and having them recognize your inherent awesomeness and hand you a sniper rifle.

Just sayin'...it's one thing to say you want to be a Recondo or Hornet pilot or Green Beret or pitch for the Yankees or first man on Mars or whatever, it's another to work for it. The goals you and your friends are talking about are tough to reach and very few people who try for it, make it. Don't let this discourage you, just saying that you have to want it bad, and be willing to work and sacrifice a lot, to make it happen.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I can't believe anyone hasn't specifically mentioned this yet.

DO NOT TRY DRUGS!

And do not worry about the ASTB. They could have a completely different test by the time you're old enough to take it. Or what is more likely is that they will have revamped it and starting to study for it now would be a complete waste of your time as a kid. Be a kid. Keep your doggone nose clean. And as always wrap it up.

gotta_fly

pilot
2) Don't do drugs and don't get in trouble with the law

I just want to emphasize to stay away from drugs. Some of your friends may start messing around with that stuff soon and the military wants nothing to do with a kid that's into that. I'm sure you know better, but peer pressure can be tough.

It may take you what seems a long time, people may make fun of you for being a "straight edge" (or whatever the term may be nowadays)... when someone thinks your idea is stupid, when one of the guys (or girls) thinks you're an idiot for not doing drugs... the mistakes they made then are costing them now.

Getting good grades and staying off drugs (see a trend?) is all you ought to be concerned with now.

I can't believe anyone hasn't specifically mentioned this yet.

DO NOT TRY DRUGS!

While the point definitely bears repeating, below on reading comprehension... ;)

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
I'll second what another on here said about joining CAP, don't do it unless you really want to. Find something that you really want to do and excel in that. It's stupid to join clubs just to add to your resume, and besides they're looking more for leadership positions in those activities rather than general membership.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's stupid to join clubs just to add to your resume, and besides they're looking more for leadership positions in those activities rather than general membership.

Excellent point and I'd add that any club, organization, or sport you are involved with would also lead to a letter of reference. In fact, just joining a club and not uding it for a LOR pretty much indicates to anyone reviewing your package that you weren't doing much significant or there was an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.