• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fired up 13 year old looking to join ranks of USMC Pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarish1

Account won't be used 'til further notice...
Do you approx. how many people wash out of pilot training overall if there is a correct answer to that?

Hey. I'm 13 right now and am considering one of two things. Either being a US Recon Marine, or becoming a USMC fighter pilot. Right now I'm leaning more towards being a pilot and I need some info like how to get into API and the training overview and maybe how many people wash out of pilot training overall. Thanks. I'll hopefully hear from some of you soon maybe. By the way I'm really nervous about the ASTB and I need someone to walk me through that because I'm kinda nervous as to what to do. And maybe some info as to how to be a commissioned officer. Although I read somewhere that being a warrant officer lets you have a better chance of becoming a pilot overall.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
You are 13 and worried about the ASTB???

I am not going USMC but Navy and I can tell you at 13 I had no clue what I wanted to do. As of right now you can:

1) Get excellent grades
2) Participate in extracurricular activities
3) Find a good pre-military group such as JROTC/CAP/Scouts etc...
4) Don't be stupid and get yourself in trouble by breaking the law

Other than that you are well ahead of your peers by showing initiative. Peruse around the site a bit...

Tovarish1

What kind of extracurricular activities. Because I'm doing okay in school. Mostly B's, one C, and a 100% in PE but... After all, Marine stands for: Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Not Essential... just kidding right there but you know. I'm kinda different from all the other kids. I like to do my research and talk to the real professionals who've done this already.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Sports especially, but worthwhile clubs are beneficial too. Look into JROTC/CAP also, they are both great programs for someone your age.

And while mostly B's are fine at a college level while taking a harder curriculum, you should strive to get all A's in high school. The competition heats up the further along you go. I know you are kidding but to be an officer in the military intelligence is everything. Think of it that way when you are striving for those better grades.

Tovarish1

I get it yeah. All A's is gonna be tough but I'm probably gonna go for a BA degree. See what comes out of it. Striving for the best here.

How do you get to JROTC/CAP?

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
13?
Here's the deal,
when I was 13 I was completely convinced that I was going to be at Norwich to become a Naval officer trying to fly F-14's pretending I was Maverick with my best buddy Goose as my best man at my wedding.

Now I'm 21, at a state school, applying for PLC for the Marine Corps.

Moral of the story, things change. Therefore worrying about some things now are basically trying to run before you can walk.

However, here is some advice that can help your end game regardless of what it may end up being.

JROTC: it's a highschool thing, so look into it before going to highschool. All I can stress as far as this, is to enroll your freshman year. There is no sense waiting.

Advice number two.
You are in a prime age to join the Civil Air Patrol (CAP). As a 13 year old you wont be far behind the age curve, and if you are really motivated to become an officer in the military, you will do well in the CAP and you will learn some great skills as well as have a beaming section on your resume.

As for how to join these organizations:
check with a guidance counsellor for your local high school for options with JROTC.
And if you're really interested in flying go to www.gocivilairpatrol.com for info on where to find a local unit.

If you need any more information on JROTC or CAP you can personal message me for down low on both,
I've been through both programs and I have found them to be an excellent source of knowledge.

But it has been said so far. Your biggest job as a 13 year old, is to just Stay out of trouble

be smart, and good luck!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You won't be taking the ASTB for at least another 5 years, if not more; now is not the time to be worried about that. If I were you I would:

1) Stay in school and graduate
2) Don't do drugs and don't get in trouble with the law
3) Find a commissioning program that interests you and apply
4) Get into a university/service academy/etc

The rest of it is well into the future for you. If aviation is something that interests you, get familiar with it to some extent. Not saying you should go out and get a private pilot's license, but at least start learning things about it and maybe brush up on some aviation history while you are at it. A basic familiarity with flying will only help you if and when you make it to flight school.

**edit: Oh yeah, stick around this forum and try and learn as much as you can. Lots of good info here, especially for applicants and those not yet in the training pipeline.

Tovarish1

Thanks all of you. You've been a great help. I think I'm gonna go into the fighter pilot MOS.

lol I use to be a boy scout. But then my Den number became inactive and people stopped coming and yeah...

Oh hell yeah. This forum is chock full of pro pilots.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
lol I use to be a boy scout. But then my Den number became inactive and people stopped coming and yeah...
We can't all be perfect. :)

A thought: if you want that link in your signature to show up as the actual image, put
before and after it.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tovarish1 said:
Hey. I'm 13 right now and am considering one of two things. Either being a US Recon Marine, or becoming a USMC fighter pilot.

Both worthy goals, just don't expect to be both. Either one requires your full attention.

Right now I'm leaning more towards being a pilot and I need some info like how to get into API and the training overview and maybe how many people wash out of pilot training overall. Thanks. I'll hopefully hear from some of you soon maybe. By the way I'm really nervous about the ASTB and I need someone to walk me through that because I'm kinda nervous as to what to do. And maybe some info as to how to be a commissioned officer. Although I read somewhere that being a warrant officer lets you have a better chance of becoming a pilot overall.

You're young enough to pick any one of several paths that lead to flight school:

US Naval Academy (USNA) where you compete to be a marine and for flight school

Platoon Leaders Class (PLC) during college with aviation contract

Officer Candidate School (OCS) after college with aviation contract

You can also enlist and try for a USNA or OCS slot, but Warrant Officer option is not a USMC path to flight school (don't confuse USMC with Army that features a majority of Warrant Officers that do bulk of flying)

Don't sweat the ASTB. Check out the threads here and the study guides. You have 5 years or so to get ready and if you use that time wisely, you'll ace it.

Like others said, get into sports, team sports and look at PFT threads. If you're not a strong runner or done many pull-ups, get on those as soon as you can.

Tovarish1

Yeah thanks. I'm probably gonna do whatever it takes for the USMC but today I'm gonna ask if I can join CAP. I don't know I've never felt this kinda excitement in my life but... lol.

Oh well then yeah I'll go to USNA. Thanks for the help. Talk to me later or now if you have anything else to say =).

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
The biggest thing you need to worry about is your grades. If you have good grades, then it is one less thing (THAT YOU CAN'T GO BACK AND FIX) to worry about. If you don't make it because you didn't quite cut it physically in your app, then you can always work harder. You can't take back wasted years in high school and college.

My GPA is barely above the minimums right now for pilot and I have 1 year of college left. I have to work my butt off just to bring it up to something acceptable because I didn't have the maturity to put my effort into school before. Whatever you do, don't think that talking about being a pilot and dreaming about being a pilot is in anyway going to help you be a pilot.

Hardwork, determination, and perserverance are going to be the way to go. Don't blow off the easy stuff and accept sub-par efforts from yourself.

You have a lot of time before any of this is even possible and it's great that you're looking so far ahead. I wanted to be a pilot since I was 8 years old. But I didn't start doing what was necessary until it was almost too late. It's much easier to put the extra effort in earlier than kill yourself with trying to make yourself more representable.

There are a lot of great people on the forum that don't mind helping you out with your questions. Best of luck to you. Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.