• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fire on the George Washington

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Thankfully nobody's dead.

It reminds me of what I think every time I watch or read something about ships getting hit...A big fire below deck has to be about the scariest thing I can think of.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was on the Constellation for FRS CQ when it caught fire in 88 off SoCal.

Scary stuff.

Fred

I wonder what the Japanese reaction will be? They were already so leery of having a nuke carrier home ported over there.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was on the Constellation for FRS CQ when it caught fire in 88 off SoCal.

Scary stuff.

Fires are scary, and so it sinking. I was on the Big E when we hit Bishop's Rock off SoCal..."FLOODING, FLOODING". We were drinking JP-5 bug juice for a month. The nice 50 foot gash down the side of the ship was huge!!

We were at Hunter's Point dry dock near SF for a month. What a miserable month!
rx-060403-drydock.jpg

-ea6bflyr ;)

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fires are scary, and so it sinking. I was on the Big E when we hit Bishop's Rock off SoCal..."FLOODING, FLOODING". We were drinking JP-5 bug juice for a month. The nice 50 foot gash down the side of the ship was huge!!

We were at Hunter's Point dry dock near SF for a month. What a miserable month!
rx-060403-drydock.jpg

-ea6bflyr ;)

The E has sure taken some hits.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
My guess would be that it was the skipper on that float that took the real hit.

Will a discriminating evil eye be cast upon the GW skipper because of the fire, or is it just one of those things that happens?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder what the Japanese reaction will be? They were already so leery of having a nuke carrier home ported over there.
Given that the reactor didn't melt down, how is it different from having a fire happen on the Kitty Hawk?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Will a discriminating evil eye be cast upon the GW skipper because of the fire, or is it just one of those things that happens?

A discriminating eye is always cast on those in command. Not always evil; but a fact of life in this business. I imagine the incident will be fully investigated and resolved with the GW continuing on it's mission to replace the KH.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....Will a discriminating evil eye be cast upon the GW skipper because of the fire, or is it just one of those things that happens?
We used to hear ... "now all away the in port (or) at sea fire fighting team to such-and-such compartment(s)" ... at least once a week, or certainly bi-weekly. It seemed to happen w/ great regularity.

And what's with all the "KHK" and "KH" stuff ???!! :eek: BLASPHEMERS !!!! :eek:

It's "The Hawk" or perhaps, in extremis, the "Shitty Kitty" ... :D

The Hawk is my ship , as we were wont to say ... :)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We used to hear ... "now all away the in port (or) at sea fire fighting team to such-and-such compartment(s)" ... at least once a week, or certainly bi-weekly. It seemed to happen w/ great regularity.

And what's with all the "KHK" and "KH" stuff ???!! :eek: BLASPHEMERS !!!! :eek:

It's "The Hawk" or perhaps, in extremis, the "Shitty Kitty" ... :D

The Hawk is my ship , as we were wont to say ... :)

Nowadays, it's
MAN OVERBOARD
at 02 or 03 in the morning because of:

a) Disgruntled employing chucking CHEM lights in the water making the whole ship suffer
or
b) Some lazy bastard chucking his trash over the side from the O-3 level because he's to lazy to walk down to the trash sponson.

Nothing worse than just getting to sleep, when you have to re-dress and go to muster!:icon_rage

-ea6bflyr ;)