• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fire on the George Washington

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
A big fire below deck has to be about the scariest thing I can think of.

I thought that as well, until we had a fire in our torpedo mag!:eek::eek:

My buddy after everything was done got pissed because I didn't wake him up prior to the "drill." I informed him that it was real, he damn near passed out.

Redux

Nowadays, it's
MAN OVERBOARD
at 02 or 03 in the morning because of:

a) Disgruntled employing chucking CHEM lights in the water making the whole ship suffer
or
b) Some lazy bastard chucking his trash over the side from the O-3 level because he's to lazy to walk down to the trash sponson.

Nothing worse than just getting to sleep, when you have to re-dress and go to muster!:icon_rage

-ea6bflyr ;)

Actually there are worse things, RACE RIOTS. These happened on several carriers in 72 that I know of. These really pissed one off after pulling 18 hours plus, XO, Marines and M 14's at the time. Some really stupid stuff going on and a LOT of court martials which I think were conducted in the PI.

I say worse because it was some blacks against some whites and totally unnecessary.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Actually there are worse things, RACE RIOTS. These happened on several carriers in 72 that I know of. These really pissed one off after pulling 18 hours plus, XO, Marines and M 14's at the time. Some really stupid stuff going on and a LOT of court martials which I think were conducted in the PI.

I say worse because it was some blacks against some whites and totally unnecessary.

Wow. So even as late as the 70's the Marines were being used for one of their little talked about primary purposes when they were formed...To keep sailors under control. I thought that was an age of sail thing. At any rate, I'm glad things are different.

Redux

Wow. So even as late as the 70's the Marines were being used for one of their little talked about primary purposes when they were formed...To keep sailors under control. I thought that was an age of sail thing. At any rate, I'm glad things are different.

Yeah, things like that weren't necessary especially aboard a warship in a war zone. Since it hasn't hit the news that I know of fortunately they're a thing of the past. PROGRESS is a good thing. :D

hscs

pilot
Nowadays, it's

Nothing worse than just getting to sleep, when you have to re-dress and go to muster!:icon_rage

-ea6bflyr ;)

It's even worse when you have to man up an aircraft (SAR Helo) because of said as-hole......

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
And when we got underway on summer cruise 2 years ago the KH had a fire at least once a week and either toxic gas or flooding a good 2 times a week. (No not GQ drills.) Ever since there have been numerous fires, flooding, gas, fuel oil leaks, and smoke every time she gets underway. Good to know the GW is on track with all that.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ea6bflyr said:
Nothing worse than just getting to sleep, when you have to re-dress and go to muster!

Three times in one night... about 20 min apart. Top that. Although... after the Captain's silly little immature tirade on the 1MC after #2, my disdain for the chem-lite perp turned to admiration.

The "re-dressing" isn't a big deal.. shorts, t-shirt, flops. It's the walking to the other end of the damn ship to the RR to muster that is the painful part.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The "re-dressing" isn't a big deal.. shorts, t-shirt, flops. It's the walking to the other end of the damn ship to the RR to muster that is the painful part.

We just use the phone to muster and go back to bed.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Actually there are worse things, RACE RIOTS. These happened on several carriers in 72 that I know of....
Kitty Hawk ... the Marine Det put down the out-of-control riots -- no matter how the "official" PR on behalf of XO Ben Cloud tried to"color" the situation ... the beauty of the Marine Det when called into action was there was NO color involved -- only Marine Green and who would not disperse.

They started at the bow and moved to the stern. Riot over ...

snake020

Contributor
Kitty Hawk ... the Marine Det put down the out-of-control riots -- no matter how the "official" PR on behalf of XO Ben Cloud tried to"color" the situation ... the beauty of the Marine Det when called into action was there was NO color involved -- only Marine Green and who would not disperse.

Before I was in the Navy, some air force EO TSgt who was giving one of those many mandatory briefs used that as an example and said it was the first mutiny in the US Navy. I promptly corrected him that there has never been such a thing in the US Navy but he stood by his statement.

/slight threadjack: And then there was the medic TSgt who said my good to bad cholesterol ratio was too low and I needed to raise my bad cholesterol. "Technical" experts my ass.

Redux

I was at my favorite time aboard Sara, Mid Rats eating my favorite hockey pucks when the shit hit the fan. Looked like "FOOD FIGHT" in Animal House with fist a flying in the galley. Same thing, Marines arrive with XO, end of riot.....happened two or three times total, I forget. That didn't upset me as much as I had to get my ass up out of my rack.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Wow. So even as late as the 70's the Marines were being used for one of their little talked about primary purposes when they were formed...To keep sailors under control.
And even as late as the early 90s, the Marines were being used for another of their little talked about primary purposes for which they were formed....serving food and drinks during receptions in foreign ports. "Sunset parades" the MARDET CO called it - he said it sounded better then "playing waiter".

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The good news of the story is that the crew did an awesome job putting the fire out and then everyone on board pitched in to help out. The dirty shirt fed the entire ship the first day, and the airwing pilots took over cooking and cleaning for the next 3. By time I left on Tuesday, it was almost back to business as usual.