• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Finishing Up!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Well, I qualed at the boat, flew back here early tuesday morning and walked right into the brief for my first Multi-plan low level. Talk about being ill prepared and un-motivated... As it turns out my partner and I did pretty well because we knew they weren't expecting too much of us. Its a lot of fun - you could get a better narrative from one of Matt's posts. I flew three times today, for 2 X's. The first one we had to come home early incomplete because of jet malfunctions, talk about a let down. We just wanted to see enough of the route to complete it and move on but we had to go back out later and then again later for another - a pretty long day. The good news is that I have my last one tomorrow. Myself and my partner go out as solos with an IP as chase. When I get back from that I'll get the traditional spraying down with the fire hose and put on a new name tag, one that has wings on it.

I thought I would be more giddy and excited, but I'm just more relieved than anything. The past three weeks have been very busy and more than anything I just want to not work and play some golf :) The actual winging ceremony is next friday and I should find out early next week what my selection is.

jec

gunnerdd972

Hey Jack,
What was the number of the plane you did your quals in? The reason I am asking I was looking at the Navy.mil web-site and under current photos there is a pic of a T-45 #259, about ready to take off from the Harry S. Truman. That would be cool if it was, just though you might want to know.

GM2(SW) Hosehead

Jack

I got 'soft winged' on Thursday. What a nice feeling of relief. My partner and I finished up our last multi plane onav early in the morning and came back for the traditional fire hose spray down. After a good weekend in Florida I'm back here this morning to find out what I got. Anything with a pointy nose... I'll post it when I get a chance.

jec

beau

So how does it feel? Sounds like a relaxing period after a big test........but on a much bigger scale. I cant imagine that feeling of accomplishment you must have right now. Same to all winged aviators. A major challenge conquered.....moving on to the next! Hats off to ya.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Jack

Well, I guess I shouldn't have been making those jokes a few months ago to Maj Frumby about the family truckster. As it turns out I'm headed to Whidbey to fly it. Our class had NO super hornets, two west coast hornets, one tomcat, my prowler, and a hoover. I ended up with the prowler by having average to slightly above average grades throughout and then doing well at the boat. I guess I should have boltered a few time to get myself that hornet lol I'm pretty excited, the prowler was definitely a suprise and I'm looking foward to seeing an entirely different part of the country.

jec

Dave Shutter

Congrats on your selection! If half of what our class Officer told us about the Truckster community is true you're in for a hell of an experience! Sounds like you had a really small class, is that size average? I'm NPQ'd from the Prowler but if I was in your shoes I guess that would make me a Tomcat selectee, no problems there, but does anything determine if you get put in a Hoover or is it luck of the draw? I've read it's one of the easier aircraft to bring aboard (if there's such a thing!) Thanx and good luck!

Dave Shutter

Patmack...Frumby's the man to talk to but I've been told/read that there's about 120 of them total for USN at Whidbey and USMC at Cherry Point NC. Its a High Value Unit, about 100mil, tough to land and mid-air refuel, essential for every hop over indian country; including for the AF, and has some operating limitations due to age and wear. Maintenance can be challenging, especially with a wing section replacement program that sqdn's have been cycling through. There's an E/F replacement on the way with a flying prototype but it's 8-10 years from being operational. A Tomcat nugget may feel a lot of pressure flying with a salty RIO behind him but a Prowler nugget has three of them. A very small, tight-knit community that's very busy and sees a lot of action. My class Officer said that there isn't a Prowler crew anywhere in the world who's been on deployment and not been shot at. Just the gouge I've gotten though so don't quote me. Read IRONCLAW, a great book even if your not interested in the plane.

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 05/24/2002 14:07:52

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Jack,

Congrats on the Prowler. I happen to be one of the few in the Navy that like Prowlers. If you're interested in a good read about a guy's tour as a prowler pilot, check out "Ironclaw". You may have heard of it, maybe not...either way, it gives a no holds bar on what this pilot did during the Gulf war...and what you will be doing very, very soon.

I'm detaching from the VALLEY FORGE on Tues (May 28) and then headed out to do some camping in Yosemite, Redwood, Glacier Park, Grand Tetons before I check onboard the ABRAHAM LINCOLN up in Everett, WA. So if you'd like to get together to have a beer or what not, drop me a line. It's been interesting hearing of your progression throughout training. I can still remember our days back in Construction Drawing at UF and wondering if you were ever going to go to class. Again, congrats and good luck!

--Steve

Jack

Steve. I'll have a beer with you anytime, we'll just have to use this site as a means of communicating until I get a place to live. By the way, that class sucked...

jec

Jack

Someone mentioned a book entitled IRONCLAW. I have since done some research on said book and found that it has been out of print for quite some time/years. If anyone has this book and would not mind parting with it for a few weeks I would much appreciate it. I'ld like to buy it from someone or just borrow it and send it back. If anyone can help out please let me know. Thanks.

Jack

jec

Shepherd

http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/oopbooks/oopresults.asp?userid=15QC838NR0&mscssid=0J2KB1H6CG5S9K1XU6U45UT8C672A4GD&title=Ironclaw;+A+Navy+Carrier+Pilots+Gulf+War+Experience&author=Sherman+Baldwin

If this link works it might be what you're looking for. I wanted to add that I love the Prowler. Just something about it..

A posteriori

Edited by - Shepherd on 06/06/2002 19:54:57

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
quote:VT-22 navy - 1 sur(sp?) grad, 1 superH, a bunch of f-14's, 1 prowler (Jansky), 1 s-3

Is that typical to have that many tomcat spots because i thought they were slowing down??

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Jack,
Welcome to the "Black" world. You will be in the "know" much more then any of your bretheren. Having flown a hornet, I can guarantee that Prowlers just ain't as much fun but you will always be in the "SH#t!" Remember, the last three bronze stars that were given to aviators were given to Marine EA6 pilots in Kosovo.
Maintenance is a HUGE problem for the EA6. For every 1 hour of flight time there is 40 hours of maintenance. The good thing for you is that the Navy flys the newest Prowlers. Remember, the last EA6 came off the line at Bethpage in 1990. It wasn't really mass produced until '78. Unfortunately, the same problems that hindered the A6E are being realized in the EA6 (wing cracks). People would like to believe that there will be a EF/A-18 but most realize that the SuperBug just doesn't have the gas to do the mission. We'll see. Good luck at Whidbey. Head down to Coupeville for me to Toby's Tavern and have some Penn cove mussels and beer for me. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Dave Shutter

Hey Frumby...clean out your Yahoo mail, your maxed out on storage and can't get new messages. I say this because your old pal Major Butcher is down here in P-cola and trying to send you messages. He gave our API class a CRM brief the other day and told us one of his Rikers Island Prison guard stories. A very funny gentleman.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey Dave,
Tell Butch that I received his email and did email him back. I just got back from 29 Palms so the box has been full. Its clean now so tell him to email away. I can't believe Butch gave you a class on CRM. That's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one!
Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.