• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Finish up college and apply to OCS, or enlist now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
My husband can speak better on this than obviously I can- I don't know much about the BDCP or ROTC programs. He and I can tell you that it is hard to go from enlisted, to commissioned officer. It is a bit of a double edged sword. He has the experience of being enlisted- and know how those 'ropes' work and has the respect for them- but also, he struggled through working full time while in the reserves to get his degree just so he could turn around and get back in. Let's just say, because of finances, and some of life's joys (sarcasm), it took him 10 years from the day he went off to boot camp as enlisted to the day he went in for OCS, and because of his age- he almost didn't get back in. (He had his fun share with recruiters. ) I know that is longer than normal- but that is why I added the 'life's joys' part. There are always those little kicks in the butt that come along your way.

I think if he had it to do over again- I'm not sure he would give up those years of being enlisted. He got to see that side of the fence for himself- and not what others portray that lifestyle to be like. But then again- it wasn't easy. The great benefit is he has 8 years towards his retirement rather than a few months- like others coming out of OCS. I wish he were here to write more on this- as mentioned- he could write a book on this subject. I'll have him add his 2 cents when he returns.
icon_smile_wink.gif

Heather

DestinedAviator

Well guys....thanks again for all of your advice! I wish I could've gotten a chance to see your posts sooner, but I was at MEPS! Turns out I went ahead and got a contract as an aviation machinist's mate and I don't go to boot camp for another year...so I'll still be able to finish two more semesters of college. All in all I feel pretty confident because it's going to be a great experience no matter what...and I know I'll become a better person in the end. I'm a little nervous, but for the most part I feel confident and assured that I'll have the chance to excel and reach my ultimate goal of becoming a naval aviator, no matter how long it takes! With my college credit I'll move up to an E-3 and so that'll be cool. Also got the Montgomery GI bill for $50,000 so that's cool too. Wow...I can't believe it...I'm in the Navy now!!! However I'm still going to focus on my classes and shoot for straight A's. My recruiter said if I get tired of waiting to go to bootcamp I can request the job of airman apprentiship and I'll pretty much get it and leave within the earliest being 2 weeks to about...2 months tops. But I'm pretty sure I'll go ahead and finish off these next two semesters...at least this next coming one for sure! Well, once again, thanks for all of you guy's great advice and I wish I could've seen it before I went to MEPS, but unfortunately I didn't get to! Wish me luck guys. Thanks!!

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Dude..that was quick!! you posted this thread only two days ago!!! Well, what's done is done..good luck with everything, hope it works out!

cricechex

Congrats, man. When do you leave? Doesn't that waite suck. It will go by faster than you think though. I signed in August, and I leave in less than four months! Also, continue school as much as possible. That is what I chose to do. I could have applied to move up my date but you probably don't want to do the apprentice thing. It is even more grunt work from what I've heard. So, hopefully we'll meet up in the fleet someday and talk about our journey's to geta commission and those gold wings.
Cricechex
AME2STA2USNA

mlj0215

Just don't go to apprenctice school...you'll go to the fleet undesignated and that would be bad. Good luck and have a blast at boot camp....it's actually pretty fun!

JKD

I was a non-rated airmen, but only had a 2 year obligation. If the enlistment is the same (4 years) I would defiantly wait for the class.

Can you earn retirement points while in DEP like you can in the IRR (by doing courses?). I'd ask, you will have to do the courses anyway, and if you can get 50 points in the year, it will count towards retirement, that is if you go the reserve route later (I didn't know I could do that during my 6 years of IRR).

Just a thought, and congrats on the enlistment. Good luck.

DestinedAviator

Thanks for the congrats, guys! I leave for bootcamp January 4, 2005.
bouncy_125.gif
Man it sure does suck that I'm gonna have to wait for about 11 months! If I'm gonna do this thing I just want to go ahead and get started now!! haha...but it is cool that I'll be able to finish off two semesters before I go. And yes, they do have it to where you can advance and take classes towards your retirement I believe...so I'll definately see about doing that! And yeah, Cricechex, see you in the fleet, shipmate! Maybe we'll be flyin' off the same carrier someday.
captain_125.gif

cjohnson1

Keep in mind that even if you do enlist, there are education programs available wherever you go. You can knock out some classes and apply to Seaman to Admiral, and if you get selected, you will get PAID active duty pay to go to school. NROTC scholarship guys only get about $300 a month.

I enlisted in 1992 as an undesignated airman and was assigned to V-1 division on the ship. I passed up too many opportunities to take classes aboard ship. I was lucky on shore duty when my chain of command made me go to school. I got an assosiates degree and applied to the Enlisted Commissioning Program and got selected. I spent the next 2 and a half years getting paid to go to college full time as an E-6...lots of fun. I just finished API in pensacola.

So, if you choose to enlist, start taking classes as soon as you hit the fleet, otherwise prepare to be a poor NROTC midshipman.

DestinedAviator

That's awesome, deckape2! I'll definately make sure I take advantage of any schooling I can get my hands on. Thanks for sharing your story! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.