• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Finish up college and apply to OCS, or enlist now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DestinedAviator

Hey Guys!
spin_125.gif
I'm currently a second semester freshman at San Jose State University and I'm majoring in aviation. Right now I'm really close to joining the Navy with the delayed entry program and finishing up my second semester and then shipping out in the summertime. Hopefully I'll get a job in the aviation field and work my way up to get into the Seaman-to-Admiral program and ultimately become a Naval aviator.
captain_125.gif
Just like most of you, it's been my dream ever since I can remember. Tomorrow I go to the hotel and Friday I'll get my physical at MEPS. What I'm wondering is...what would be better? Going into the Navy now and then working my hardest to get into the Seaman-to-Admiral program, or finishing up my degree since I'm already in college now? The big factor is that I definately would need a waiver for my eyesight and my recruiter has told me that when you're in the Navy it really doesn't matter because they already know you're a qualified candidate for flight besides your eyesight, and you've already shown your leadership skills and learning ability while being an enlisted sailor and doing your job the best you possibly can, so they usually go ahead and give you the PRK surgery. Whereas if I waited till I got my degree and then applied to OCS, they wouldn't give me a pilot slot because of my eyesight and I'd have to become an officer in a different community and try to transfer over to a pilot slot later. Basically...I just would like you guy's input...maybe some of you guys who are enlisted now can give me some advice or some of u guys who worked your way up from being enlisted and are officers now...or know someone who has, any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is a huge decision and I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing because right now I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go ahead and join, and it feels right for the most part. Thanks a lot!
thumbup_125.gif

bigwillystyle

No! No! No! Do not enlist. Ask that recruiter about NROTC-make the Navy pay for your education. There are people with outstanding records, grades, recommendations that get rejected for commissions everyday. There are some who would say prior enlisted make better officers. There are also others that spend four years cleaning floors, toilets, and whatever other disgusting/demeaning job junior guys get stuck with (and you'll be junior for a considerable part of those four years). Let's not mention sleeping three guys/gals high across from some guy/gal that hasn't showered for the entire six months you've been deployed! Let's not talk about working parties (chain gangs) lugging 40lb bags in the bowels of the ship in the middle of the Persian Gulf. Not to mention waiting in line for 45 minutes up five flights of stairs for chow some disgruntled MS did something unmentionable in.
I love my country and do not regret my decision to serve. However, I do want those who come after me to fully understand what it is they're signing up for and not leave them at the mercy of the recruiter or the MTV wannabe recruitment video.

Sincerely
Electornics Technician (Nuclear) 3rd Class

erabe07

In my opinion, it leaves you with more options to finish school now. Since you've already started college & you may not get an ROTC scholarship, I'd investigate the BDCP program. With a technical degree you can get 3 years of E-3 salary for nothing other then going to school & keeping up your grades. Whatever you do, make sure you have concrete information and understand exactly what you are getting in to. I would think very carefully before enlisting in the hopes you can finish school and apply to the officer program later on. For me, this would be very hard to do. Although I somewhat agree with the statement that once you're in the Navy, they are more flexible dealing with medical issues (including vision correction), I would first investigate college & a PRK waiver, leaving enlistment and progression to the officer ranks as a last resort. It should be noted however that I have no practical experience serving in the Navy (even though I am in the BDCP program with SNA designation) and this opinion is based only upon what I have read and learned in my own research.

bcw

I would finish school. The older you get the harder it is to finish. If you transfer some of your credits may not be accepted. ( I lost 69 hours) I would definately talk to an officer recruiter about the BDCP program. Beware of enlisted recruiters. I was told that I did not need a degree to fly or be an officer if I enlisted first.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
yeah...enlisted recruiters are all about quantity, the OSO's want quality. Go to school and develop your skills...

JKD

I enlisted in 1992. The recruiters at MEPS were pushing a 6 year NUC program (nuclear engineering). I wanted to work on aircraft, and took a 2 year airmen program. I don't think this program is still available, but it offered a basic aviation course after boot camp, then off to the fleet.

The posts above are correct in that you will be at the bottom of the totem pole when you get in. I flew out to the carrier and met her in Palma, Spain. After a brief indoc with my squadron I reported to the galley for 2 months of Temporary Assigned Duties (TAD). TAD sucks, but everyone does it. After that I started working with the squadron, and was on the flight deck as a non-rated airmen (line division).

I would trade any of it for the world!

Some of the reasons I enlisted: to get a taste of the military, learn a little about military aviation, I didn't have the money to go to school.
I did well as a sailor. First in my class out of airmen school, plain captain quals on the F-14, and made 3rd class petty officer within the 2 years.

I applied for a NROTC Scholarship about 1 year into the enlistment. I was a non-select. My Educations Service Officer wanted me to reapply the next year, but I was set on getting out and finishing school full time. My state VA pays for full tuition an fees at any state school for veterans who return to the stat (Illinois).
I went to school for a year (astro/aeronautical engineering major), lost my focus, and left school. I found a job, got married, had a child... 10 years later (and many dollars in school loans - because I left the state), I'm finally finishing my degree. I'm pushing the age limit for NFO, even with the 2 year active duty waver.

If you chose to enlist, pick a job you would like, even if you didn't get selected for an officer progam. I loved my enlisted time (so much I re-joined the reserves recently). Try to keep in school part time, at least a class or 2 at a time (after boot camp and A School). You will get college credits for your military job as well (it cut a year off my school - not that you can tell by the amount of time it took :)

I'm not telling you one way or another (and I'm not sure this story has a point...). But enlisting can be fun and an adventure, but there are some of the low man jobs to do.

sorry to be so long winded... As Abraham Lincoln once said, "Sorry for the long letter, but I didn't have time to write a shorter one."

DestinedAviator

Thanks so much for you guy's input!! My parents and pretty much everyone in my family are telling me to stay in college and get my degree first before I do anything else...but I really have a thirst for some adventure and to be able to get more disciplined and responsible (even though I already consider myself pretty well disciplined for the most part). I just have always dreamed of being in the military and I sort of wouldn't mind working my way up because like dsweeney said, you get a taste of the military life and get to see what the naval aviation community is like and everything and just to be around those planes and know that I'm serving my country and everything...I think that would be awesome! I know that enlisting and then trying to get into the officer programs will probably take a little longer and will most likely be somewhat difficult, but I really do believe if I set my mind to it I can definately do it. My recruiter said that he didn't even want to be noticed at boot camp...he said all he wanted to do was keep his mouth shut, do what he was told, and blend in with the crowd. Doing that actually got him noticed because he said that there will always be someone who will talk back and complain about the job they're asked to do. After two months he ended up getting told that the Navy is looking for people like him to become officers. After about...9 months I think, he applied for the Naval Academy and got in the first try, however he decided to get married so he turned it down. Basically, what they're telling me is that if I just do my very best and stay focused, there's no way that they won't want to recommend me for the officer programs out there. Maybe they're just telling me what I want to hear, but it does sound cool! But I do definately agree with you guys that said to stay in college as well because that way I'd at least have a degree to fall back on if things didn't work out with trying to get a SNA slot after college...but then again...I'm so ready for the adventure that I'm just ready to explode! lol! Well, after my classes for today I'm going to the hotel and then the next day go to the MEPS station for the physical and all of that. Then they'll let me know what jobs I qualify for...and I probably won't qualify for aircrew because of my vision. So...if I don't find any jobs I like, or even if I do find one I like, I'll definately take time to think about my options and not rush. Thanks again for you guy's input, and I'd appreciate any more advice you have for me!! FLY NAVY!

JKD

Another tip about MEPS (it has been awhile since I've been there), I went in thinking I was just going to take the test and see what I qualified for. I walked out with a signed contract. They put on a good sales pitch, complete with the "I think I just have one or two of these slots left..." statement.
To paint a balanced picture from may last post, the recruiters are telling you what you want to hear. They are not wrong, but they sometimes leave out things that are not asked. There are a lot of applicants for enlisted to officer programs. This is not to say you wont make it, but it is harder when you are already in (my opinion only).

When you go to MEPS, make sure you are making the decisions, and not being talked into something you don't want. The same job openings (or at least similar openings) will be there later.

Good luck...

twidget

Deskaholic
It is far more difficult, in my opinion to be selected for a commissioning program as an enlisted, than to finish your degree and come in with a commission. If your back-up plan is to take courses along the way, while you are trying to get into STA-21, and you just crave the adventure so much you can't possibly finish college first, be forewarned. You may be stationed on a ship for your first 4 years in the Navy - a small ship with no instructors for college courses underway - a busy ship that's not concerned so much about the local school's schedule as they are with operational commitments. You may only be able to finish a handful of lower level correspondence courses over that 4 years. It's not a sure thing that your follow on shore duty will allow you to complete your degree either, especially if you're married with a child or two by then.
Just some things to consider.

Knowing what I know, I would tough it out in school and then get a commission. The sea will always be there, but the opportunity you have to go to school right now may be MUCH less down the road.

GO NAVY!...just wait a few years.

Maybe you could watch Top Gun a few more times, then go bungee-jumping or play paint ball. It may be enough adventure to keep you sane. How about simulating General Quarters with your academic career? Take 24 credits a semester, and try to get straight A's. You'll get about as much sleep as an engineering watchstander underway, you'll finish your degree in no time, and you'll come out on the other end bald, with a coffee cup in one hand, and cigarette in the other, just like a real sailor!
shake_125.gif

jca320

STAY IN SCHOOL!

College has been the best 6 years of my life. It is great. I know how you feel, I talked to the enlisted recruiters when I started Jr. College. I took the advice of my father, a former Navy officer, and stuck with school. Just focus on school. Trust me, it works.

John
UCSD Computer Science

rgla

i am enlisted in the navy, i had the same idea as you, sign up now and get into a commisioning program later. it is not as easy as you think, and your recruiter probably does not know much about any of the officer programs, he is telling you want you want to hear so he can make his quota. i would agree with everyone else on the board, stay in school, get into a nrotc program, and then see what your options are.
if you are set in being enlisted first, be careful, what bigwilly said about the boat is true. i did a 6 month deployment last year. know what you want to do before you go to meps, dont let them sell you something you dont want. as far as aviation jobs, air traffic control is the best one, more than likely you will get shore duty and if you do go to a ship you wont be working near as hard as everyone else. you will be sitting in a nice cool radar room while most of the other aviation rates are sweating on the flight deck in the gulf. there is good and bad with everything. air traffic controllers and alot of other shore duty people work rotating shifts, squadrons go on deployments, and if you have sea duty you will be at sea doing work ups 1-2 weeks out of the month. it is hard to go to school.
be careful and good luck whatever you decide to do, i just hope you take everyones input into consideration if you havent already signed.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
If you decide to go the Marine Corps route to Naval Aviator, you might want to consider doing the PLC program and go through officers training through two 6 week sessions during two seperate summers, or one 10 week combined summer session WHILE YOU'RE STILL IN SCHOOL!! You'll be a 2nd Lt. right out of college, (already contracted as an aviator if that's what you want)and be able to go to TBS and then flight school...a good few months ahead of any of us OCC guys who are doing everything now that we're done with college. It's a faster route, and you still get some military experience while graduating from college at the same time. NROTC, as the other guys suggested is a good idea as well, since I believe you are also commissioned upon graduation, and can go straight to Navy OCS (again with Aviator contract in hand). There are a lot of options for you, and different ways to get into the fleet as an officer without having to work your way up from the bottom of the pile. There's nothing wrong with wanting to do that, but it's definately not the most efficient route to becoming a Naval Aviator, or an Officer. Good Luck with what ever choice you make. (P.S. You want adventure in college, get a bunch of guys together and go skydiving!)

Status
Not open for further replies.