• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

Tbeny

I don't know why there is such a backlog? My OR told me that the navy is in need of SWOs. So I would assume we would be sent to OCS as soon as possible.

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
I don't know why there is such a backlog? My OR told me that the navy is in need of SWOs. So I would assume we would be sent to OCS as soon as possible.
It's never safe to assume anything in the military. You could have a FINSEL and orders in-hand, yet be pushed to a later date a week before you ship.
You also have to remember how many other designators are also vying for those limited number of class seats, as well as those folks who need to get there before you (age-critical and the like).
As has been stated many times before in this thread, SWO is not as high of a priority as SNA for example. From what I've read, prospective aviators have a pretty good chance of washing out during training. Couple this with the sheer length of their training in comparison to SWO candidates, and those selections will be given priority for OCS seats; they're planning to fill needs years in advance, as opposed to just months for SWO requirements.
It's no knock on the designator; the Navy will always need new Surface Warfare Officers. It's just not the topping the priority list right now.

ClassyGent23

It's never safe to assume anything in the military. You could have a FINSEL and orders in-hand, yet be pushed to a later date a week before you ship.
You also have to remember how many other designators are also vying for those limited number of class seats, as well as those folks who need to get there before you (age-critical and the like).
As has been stated many times before in this thread, SWO is not as high of a priority as SNA for example. From what I've read, prospective aviators have a pretty good chance of washing out during training. Couple this with the sheer length of their training in comparison to SWO candidates, and those selections will be given priority for OCS seats; they're planning to fill needs years in advance, as opposed to just months for SWO requirements.
It's no knock on the designator; the Navy will always need new Surface Warfare Officers. It's just not the topping the priority list right now.

That makes sense. A distant family friend, he works closely with DoD stuff, said that also the financial cutting will probably be affecting it. He said he wouldn't be surprised if things spark up again near the end of the FY.

Tbeny

Besides from training and getting into top physical shape, while we wait for our OCS dates, is there anything else we can do to prepare for OCS? What can we study to prepare ourselves on the written examination portion of OCS? Naval History? Ranks? Etc

bluehens15

Besides from training and getting into top physical shape, while we wait for our OCS dates, is there anything else we can do to prepare for OCS? What can we study to prepare ourselves on the written examination portion of OCS? Naval History? Ranks? Etc

If you go in the OCS website there's a PdF file of everything you should know before you get there. Don't have the link off hand cuz I'm on my phone

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
It's called Appendix B, and it's strongly recommended that you memorize it word-for-word prior to reporting.
As stated above, it can be found on the official Navy OCS website. I'd post the link, but I think it's important for you to go there yourself if you haven't already.