• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

Chop Shop

I think so we are all dispersed between the December to February classes from what I've seen but most of us are in the January class

Well then, either my recruiter is not conducting his due diligence, or I have become a pariah; akin to the ostracized leper. :-/

If you are still waiting from the June board then those of us from the November board have no hope.

Well, I wouldn't worry about that just yet because your board was pretty recent and I appear to be somewhat of an anomaly. You can at least seek solace in knowing that you are not not alone. "Misery loves company", or so they say.

jmeff

Well then, either my recruiter is not conducting his due diligence, or I have become a pariah; akin to the ostracized leper. :-/

Well, I wouldn't worry about that just yet because your board was pretty recent and I appear to be somewhat of an anomaly. You can at least seek solace in knowing that you are not not alone. "Misery loves company", or so they say.

I sense a philosopher in our midst.

torpedotor

When this happened before people just waited, some up to 2 years to go to OCS
Do you know what caused such a long delay? And could it be that long this time? That's a really long time to be left in limbo--never knowing when we'll be leaving... You don't think our ORs would be able to give us an estimate at least?

priorguy

The SWO pipeline has changed as of recent. Back in the day all SWO's graduating OCS will do a 3 week baby SWO school in Newport and check in with their first ship. The USNA/NROTC folks go straight to the ship. Now, the SWO Intro course is an I-stop (or should be) for all ascensions including OCS, USNA, and NROTC, meaning everyone attends the 2-month school and then report to their first. The school is either in San Diego or Norfolk. My guess is that there's a backlog from the course due to amount of folks being commissioned.
I found a list of the school dates: https://www.netc.navy.mil/centers/swos/_documents/1500.pdf
I believe page 3 is what you are referring to?

If there a way to contact the school house to find out the status of the classes, i.e. backlog info?

exNavyOffRec

Do you know what caused such a long delay? And could it be that long this time? That's a really long time to be left in limbo--never knowing when we'll be leaving... You don't think our ORs would be able to give us an estimate at least?

the last time it was due to redesignations, over-selections, etc....

probably not as that time was what I was told not seen before.

this time maybe, last time nope, you never know what is going to happen at OCS for redesignations.

the dedicated ones will wait it out, my NRD didn't lose a single person that was waiting.

torpedotor

the last time it was due to redesignations, over-selections, etc....

probably not as that time was what I was told not seen before.

this time maybe, last time nope, you never know what is going to happen at OCS for redesignations.

the dedicated ones will wait it out, my NRD didn't lose a single person that was waiting.
No fear; I want this. I'm just trying to gather information so that I can plan the best possible course of action for the interim. Thank you for your help! If you hear anything on your side (even rumors), we would love to be kept informed (though I'm sure you already knew that). Thanks again!

otejay

It's definitely a test of dedication but I also don't think it's that simple. Although those of us whose lifelong dream has been to join the fleet will ride this out, there are factors that would make this decision more complex than what it seems. Like probably many of us, I put myself through college on my own and have collected a large amount of loans that keep collecting thousands in interest. Not the end of the world but the fact that many employers of decent paying jobs require several years of commitment leaves us working three jobs at a time to get by. I understand this is the situation of many Americans in general and I'm in no way asking for a pity fest. I just wanted to point out that this is not simply a waiting game.

However, I've waited my whole life for this so I'll do whatever it takes to keep afloat until I swear in and get my butterbars.

Chop Shop

It's definitely a test of dedication but I also don't think it's that simple. Although those of us whose lifelong dream has been to join the fleet will ride this out, there are factors that would make this decision more complex than what it seems. Like probably many of us, I put myself through college on my own and have collected a large amount of loans that keep collecting thousands in interest. Not the end of the world but the fact that many employers of decent paying jobs require several years of commitment leaves us working three jobs at a time to get by. I understand this is the situation of many Americans in general and I'm in no way asking for a pity fest. I just wanted to point out that this is not simply a waiting game.

However, I've waited my whole life for this so I'll do whatever it takes to keep afloat until I swear in and get my butterbars.

Everything you said resonates with me, and I'm guessing with a lot of people currently playing the waiting game. If you are a non-prior candidate then the only thing you can really do is be patient. Having a recruiter who genuinely cares about you and is an active advocate is pretty much the only thing that will help in this situation. My previous recruiters bed-side manner (for lack of a better term) left a lot to be desired, but my new recruiter seems to be a lot more empathetic and personable. He told me something today that renewed my faith. He basically said that he undertood that it was a long wait and that I might feel powerless in the dark, but that it would all be worth it once I am in the Navy and have a life-long CAREER that I will absolutely love. Believe me, as someone who finds it a bit difficult to relinquish control, and who is a firm proponent of self-advocacy (from my days mentoring hundreds of college students), it is hard to just have blind trust in someone, especially when it comes to life-altering decisions. But I suppose this is our first lesson in trusting the Chain of Command. Have faith and trust that it will be worth it once you are in. :)

Tasha

No fear; I want this. I'm just trying to gather information so that I can plan the best possible course of action for the interim. Thank you for your help! If you hear anything on your side (even rumors), we would love to be kept informed (though I'm sure you already knew that). Thanks again!

Hang in there fellas!

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
So this seems super weird considering the recent conversation and how long most SWO selectees are waiting but I just received my final select letter. Not going to look the gift horse in the mouth. Classing up February 8. Was Pro Rec'd Nov 13. I guess I am checking out of purgatory. Good luck everyone.

Is SWO/OCEANO considered an IDC designator?

exNavyOffRec

but the fact that many employers of decent paying jobs require several years of commitment

They may make you think that, but unless you are saying "I am only going to be here for X months" they won't know, and there really isn't anything they can do unless they give you a bonus or some type of compensation tied to an employment time.