• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

priorguy

Thanks for the info. Would this mean I might get a "tentative date" at some point in the near future, though?
There is no information as to when SWO applicants will go to OCS. There's a good chance your FINSEL has been sitting at the PM for at least 6 months now, awaiting signature.

Here is my intuition on the matter of SWO:
I think that they are putting in a very high amount of Pilots and NFOs because the drop out rate is very high, so they are playing a numbers game; that is, if they put in a high amount of aviation folk, they are bound to hit there quota for qualified pilots. At the same time, when those aviation folk fail out or drop out of aviation school, they are reclassed into a SWO designator. Thus, the Navy is able to fill two position with "one stone". Thus, SWO applicants get pushed to the side. My LT has not been able to get an answer from her COC, so all we can do is speculate.

Moreover, the reason why it is difficult to get a summer OCS class is due to college graduations, where the Navy is looking to ship off Nuke applicants ASAP. Nukes are in such a high demand and can also fill SWO duties (as most JOs did on my last ship). Lastly, the Navy invests so much money for Nuke candidates, which also makes them a number 1 priority to ship them off. This poses another threat to our OCS "spots" because graduation is right around the corner as classes for MARCH are starting to fill.

It's a shame that the Navy refuses to release any information for SWO applicants - especially when people are declining other opportunities for a job that is "promised", yet not completely guaranteed. I hope I'm wrong about all of this but I doubt it.

exNavyOffRec

There is no information as to when SWO applicants will go to OCS. There's a good chance your FINSEL has been sitting at the PM for at least 6 months now, awaiting signature.

I think that they are putting in a very high amount of Pilots and NFOs because the drop out rate is very high, so they are playing a numbers game; that is, if they put in a high amount of aviation folk, they are bound to hit there quota for qualified pilots. At the same time, when those aviation folk fail out or drop out of aviation school, they are reclassed into a SWO designator. Thus, the Navy is able to fill two position with "one stone". Thus, SWO applicants get pushed to the side. My LT has not been able to get an answer from her COC, so all we can do is speculate.

Moreover, the reason why it is difficult to get a summer OCS class is due to college graduations, where the Navy is looking to ship off Nuke applicants ASAP. Nukes are in such a high demand and can also fill SWO duties (as most JOs did on my last ship). Lastly, the Navy invests so much money for Nuke candidates, which also makes them a number 1 priority to ship them off. This poses another threat to our OCS "spots" because graduation is right around the corner as classes for MARCH are starting to fill.

It's a shame that the Navy refuses to release any information for SWO applicants - especially when people are declining other opportunities for a job that is "promised", yet not completely guaranteed. I hope I'm wrong about all of this but I doubt it.

Many aviation drops go home some do redesignate, the issue is there has to be a spot on a ship for a SWO, not for a Pilot or NFO, some ships are being decommissioned early, so some of those SWO's are moving to other ships, those are spots that can't be filled, so that is another potential delay.

SWO nukes are driven by spots on carriers, some non nuke ships have many, some have few, they are not used to fill SWO spots when they are short they are only there for a specified time to qualify or get a check in the box, in most cases a SWO nuke will transfer shortly after getting their SWO pin.

priorguy

Word on the street is there is some kind of meeting taking place in a few weeks to discuss the SWO situation - maybe @NavyOffRec or @RUFiO181 can shed some light on that? I also heard from a friend, who is getting ready to graduate OCS, that there are so many pilot candidates that many of them are on backlog because there are no orders for them, which prevents them from becoming commissioned. Maybe this might open up some spots for other designators??

exNavyOffRec

Word on the street is there is some kind of meeting taking place in a few weeks to discuss the SWO situation - maybe @NavyOffRec or @RUFiO181 can shed some light on that? I also heard from a friend, who is getting ready to graduate OCS, that there are so many pilot candidates that many of them are on backlog because there are no orders for them, which prevents them from becoming commissioned. Maybe this might open up some spots for other designators??

RUFIO would have the current info, but this happened in the past and no one was prevented from commissioning, they were just stashed for months at a time at various places.

It wouldn't open up any other designators, there are a set number of billets to fill for each designator so SNA having a backlog won't create more billets for other designators.

Chop Shop

I am in the same (speculation-proned) boat. Somedays I dream about my packet sitting at the "PM Desk" amid a clutter of other documents, a few empty fast food containers, and an eclectic assortment of useless debris. That is usually when I wake up from this nightmare in a panic-induced sweat. Other nights I dream about my packet being hand-navigated from big-wig to big-wig, in a fast-paced network of bureaucratic channels that us civilians aren't aware of, and during each stage is given the respect and urgency that such a critical, life-altering document deserves. The latter is when I wake up with a smile and tell myself to be patient, as this is how I hope my Navy operates. :)

On another note, is their anyone else from the June Supply board that has not yet received a proposed OCS date? As of the 14th of this month it will have been 6 months since the board. One can't help but be concerned as to what is causing the holdup.

Chop Shop

I'm pretty sure that is a cyclical precipice that our government finds itself on. That is why I only accept gold billions as tender for all my financial transactions.:)

otejay

I am in the same (speculation-proned) boat. Somedays I dream about my packet sitting at the "PM Desk" amid a clutter of other documents, a few empty fast food containers, and an eclectic assortment of useless debris. That is usually when I wake up from this nightmare in a panic-induced sweat. Other nights I dream about my packet being hand-navigated from big-wig to big-wig, in a fast-paced network of bureaucratic channels that us civilians aren't aware of, and during each stage is given the respect and urgency that such a critical, life-altering document deserves. The latter is when I wake up with a smile and tell myself to be patient, as this is how I hope my Navy operates. :)

On another note, is their anyone else from the June Supply board that has not yet received a proposed OCS date? As of the 14th of this month it will have been 6 months since the board. One can't help but be concerned as to what is causing the holdup.

I've had the same nightmare more than once....I miss the good ol' days when I used to dream about serial killers and demonic possessions. At least I could wake up and tell myself that it never happened

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

It's just a rumor for now but yes we have heard the same thing for the recruiting side.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The SWO pipeline has changed as of recent. Back in the day all SWO's graduating OCS will do a 3 week baby SWO school in Newport and check in with their first ship. The USNA/NROTC folks go straight to the ship. Now, the SWO Intro course is an I-stop (or should be) for all ascensions including OCS, USNA, and NROTC, meaning everyone attends the 2-month school and then report to their first. The school is either in San Diego or Norfolk. My guess is that there's a backlog from the course due to amount of folks being commissioned.