• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

Areum

quick question. i know this thread probably isn't the best place to ask, but once i get my date for OCS, do i have to buy my own plane ticket or will that be provided by the navy?

jcharles

PRO REC Y 11603 SWO-IP 30AUG13
Lol, I feel your pain guys...but I was Pro-Recd for supply in JUNE....I'm still waiting for my FS to be signed lol...good luck to all
Wow. Glad I'm not the only one waiting that long. I was Pro-Y SWO-IP last August and still waiting for my FS.

theghettodefendant

None
With all these new military cuts that are going to be happening, will it have any effect on our final select letters or OCS dates or is it already set up and funded?

I totally understand the desire to know, know, know. You've got your life to plan and the Navy isn't meeting a basic level of information that would help you figure out when to put in your notice for work or even when to pick up a job waiting for OCS. At some point you just have to stop worrying about the things out of your control, brother. If the FS letters are delayed a few months, think of it like another few months of gearing up and also an opportunity to try something new.

I totally understand the desire to know, know, know. You've got your life to plan and the Navy isn't meeting a basic level of information that would help you figure out when to put in your notice for work or even when to pick up a job waiting for OCS. At some point you just have to stop worrying about the things out of your control, brother. If the FS letters are delayed a few months, think of it like another few months of gearing up and also an opportunity to try something new.
That's a great point. I'm taking the time to get physically ready for OCS. I'm also working on turning things over and spending time with the fam.

Spookcumber

That's a great point. I'm taking the time to get physically ready for OCS. I'm also working on turning things over and spending time with the fam.

Yep, I'm doing the same exact thing. I'm wondering if it'd be smart to start working on my end of tour to have it ready to go, since the turn around time for leaving can be so quick. Thoughts?

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
I wouldn't quite classify myself as in "FS Purgatory" quite yet, since I only got my Pro-Rec Y less than a week ago, but I'm starting to think about how I'm going to "wrap up" my civilian life before heading off to OCS. One big question is what to do with my house. Is/was anyone else in this situation? Any advice? Rent it, or try to sell? Or just leave it empty until after OCS and deal with it then?

theghettodefendant

None

True but my lease will be ending in the next couple months and I would like it if I could just get some kind of idea, and not knowing anything is incredibly frustrating. I know they don't owe me anything but if I could just get some kind of heads up so I could know whether to sign another lease or not would be great.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
True but my lease will be ending in the next couple months and I would like it if I could just get some kind of idea, and not knowing anything is incredibly frustrating. I know they don't owe me anything but if I could just get some kind of heads up so I could know whether to sign another lease or not would be great.
I would say, ask your landlord/landlady if you can pay month-to-month when the lease expires. SCRA lets you break the lease upon entering service, so even if you renew the lease, they can't really hold you to it. But let him/her know your situation, that you're waiting to ship out and don't know when yet, but might not get much notice when you do.

VQIW31

Yep, I'm doing the same exact thing. I'm wondering if it'd be smart to start working on my end of tour to have it ready to go, since the turn around time for leaving can be so quick. Thoughts?

Absolutely, though I'm not certain when the FS letters will be rolling out either...I have a rolling brag sheet ready to fire, but I fear we may be waiting until FY-15 quotas are released before we'll hear anything. It's funny, a few of the selects from the Dec IW board have already been processed and have orders in hand. It's almost as if they had a few openings for OCS that were a "first come, first serve" basis. I finshed up my checklist (Security pre-screen and PQ) and then....nothing. I've been patiently waiting for the past few weeks and now I'm trying to focus on using the extra time to get myself physically and mentally prepared for OCS/transitioning/etc. There are some folks on here that have been waiting a lot longer than us so I use this to keep things in perspective and realize that my time will come!

ironhead79ltc

So for us SWOs if we become fy15 does that mean we won't report until after October or can report July time frame with a after 1 October commissioning date?

VQIW31

Absolutely, though I'm not certain when the FS letters will be rolling out either...I have a rolling brag sheet ready to fire, but I fear we may be waiting until FY-15 quotas are released before we'll hear anything. It's funny, a few of the selects from the Dec IW board have already been processed and have orders in hand. It's almost as if they had a few openings for OCS that were a "first come, first serve" basis. I finshed up my checklist (Security pre-screen and PQ) and then....nothing. I've been patiently waiting for the past few weeks and now I'm trying to focus on using the extra time to get myself physically and mentally prepared for OCS/transitioning/etc. There are some folks on here that have been waiting a lot longer than us so I use this to keep things in perspective and realize that my time will come!

Its seems as though my most recent posting here conincidentally aligned with my notification for final selection! Good luck to all and I'll see you in the Fleet!