• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

brogdawg32

That is completely understandable. The community aspect of Crossfit is probably it's biggest asset. I have been an athlete my whole life but I did it while being overweight and at like 25+% bf and being weak. I literally never consistently lifted weights until this last August. Had never deadlifted before and had maybe squatted twice before.

Eventually I made friends in the gym with more experienced lifters who have helped fine tune my form more, but the first 6 months or so I was on my own, I definitely see where you are coming from.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
lets not make purgatory more of a hell than it has to be by clawing at different training methods. If it's a shit program it will always expose itself. If people don't focus on injury prevention it will surface later. If they don't know how to Olympic lift, again, it will surface down the road. No need to defend on way or another on this thread. Do some research and see if the program fits the path to the goals you're trying to accomplish. If your trainer doesn't have a strong background in kinesiology, chances are they are repeating something the heard from a guy who knew his stuff and trying to replicate/make it harder which is where you run into problems. If you worry about throwing your back out or tearing ACL/MCL remember there's a difference between being good at exercising and being physically fit and sound; utilize a program that focuses on injury prevention over anything else.

If it made you forget about being in purgatory for an evening, then mission accomplished! We'll be back to our regularly scheduled programming of "Where the @%!# is my FINSEL!?!!??" tomorrow...

Yup. OR said BC was good and just waiting on FINSEl. They should name it the FINALLY select letter.

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot
Does anyone else in purgatory currently own their home? My wife and I keep asking ourselves when is the right time to put the house on the market. I'd love to hear some insight from others in this current situation. Last I read I believe there is still an 8-13 week recruiter assistance between OCS and API; is this current? Has anyone that's been in the Navy a while PCS'd while still trying to sell their home? How much more difficult is selling the house from across the country?

AndreasW

Does anyone else in purgatory currently own their home? My wife and I keep asking ourselves when is the right time to put the house on the market. I'd love to hear some insight from others in this current situation. Last I read I believe there is still an 8-13 week recruiter assistance between OCS and API; is this current? Has anyone that's been in the Navy a while PCS'd while still trying to sell their home? How much more difficult is selling the house from across the country?

I'm in the same situation. Not sure when I should start listing my house, or even when/if I should talk to a realtor. Are you going with a realtor or doing FSBO? My thinking was to put it on the market when I leave for OCS and have the closing date (if it sells) when I get back. Might rent it out for a bit if we can't find a buyer in time.

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot
I have spoken with a Realtor but haven't signed any paperwork. FSBO would be great if all would work our accordingly. I have learned however that even if you attempt to sell without a Realtor but the buyer has a Realtor, the commission fee is paid to the Realtor and any potential savings from the FSBO route are forgone. If true, that's quite disheartening.

exNavyOffRec

I have spoken with a Realtor but haven't signed any paperwork. FSBO would be great if all would work our accordingly. I have learned however that even if you attempt to sell without a Realtor but the buyer has a Realtor, the commission fee is paid to the Realtor and any potential savings from the FSBO route are forgone. If true, that's quite disheartening.

Real estate laws differ a bit from state to state, so see what applies to you.

There are advantages and disadvantages to using a Realtor, the few guys I know that did FSBO and were happy with it were in no hurry to sell, but each area and market is different.

Bradicus

Ensign, SNA
My parents sold a house when the navy transferred my dad across country. It wasn't too bad, as I remember. They spent a long time finding a realtor they could trust.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
Yup, I own my place. I figure that trying to sell my house while at OCS, especially while I have no access to phone/Internet, would be difficult at best. I also had a former student go to Air Force OTS, and she got medically separated due to a heart issue that came up about halfway through her time there. That sort of thing worries me, but I figure once I get through OCS, I should be in the clear. So my plan is to leave my house empty during OCS and then put it up for sale once I'm through.

Here's a question, though: Will I have any time "off" between OCS and IWBC? If so, how much? I assume that it varies depending on when IWBC classes start up, but I'm just curious about getting a ballpark.

jander12

pilot
Does anyone else in purgatory currently own their home? My wife and I keep asking ourselves when is the right time to put the house on the market. I'd love to hear some insight from others in this current situation...
Same boat... although in my boat we're leaning towards renting the place via a property management company. The value of this may be dependent on where your house is though. Mine is 15 miles from Ft. Belvoir and 10 from Quantico (Northern VA) so there will always be renters in the area (read: military families coming through).

Another thing we've considered though is renting/selling the house now and then renting an apartment during this transition.

BlackAce

VT-9 Trying to sick less everyday...trying
I've toyed around with the VRS, pretty sick but it sucks how limited FSX is when it comes to weapons employment. A group is coming out with a Rhino for DCS and that would be unbelievable. A high-fidelity F-18 sim combined with the Oculus Rift would bring chair-flying to a whole new level, and I imagine it would be a great tool for training.

You need to check out the TacPak that they have released. It pretty much turns FSX into a DCS level sim. Lots of fun, great for passing time.