• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm In

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't know the details of thisguy's story, but I'm guessing they didn't make him a chief, they made his pay equal to an E-7. Big difference. Unless this guy was prior enlisted.

Ex Rigger

pilot
gatordev said:
I don't know the details of thisguy's story, but I'm guessing they didn't make him a chief, they made his pay equal to an E-7. Big difference. Unless this guy was prior enlisted.
I gotcha......but even then what is the point. What exactly is the Navy getting in return for giving a guy Chief's pay throughout college. It costs alot more than paying for someone's college i.e. NROTC and certainly more than putting someone through OCS. Not meaning to thread jack or offend BDCP guys. It's a great deal, just wondering why the Navy has the program.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Ex Rigger said:
I gotcha......but even then what is the point. What exactly is the Navy getting in return for giving a guy Chief's pay throughout college. It costs alot more than paying for someone's college i.e. NROTC and certainly more than putting someone through OCS. Not meaning to thread jack or offend BDCP guys. It's a great deal, just wondering why the Navy has the program.

The guy wasn't BDCP, he was NUPOC. NUPOC is basically BDCP on steriods, it's only Nukes, and you get the money even if you're out of college. Basically, the Navy need nukes, and it may seem like a lot to sink E-7 pay into a college kid, the Navy takes it out of his ass after he does a three year tour on a sub.

nugget81

pilot
Ex Rigger said:
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly does the Navy get out of this program?
I can't tell you the exact reason behind the program. It appears to be just another avenue of getting qualified individuals into an all-volunteer force. The military has used education/scholarships/money for college as a recruiting tool for some time, so it seems to fall in line with that line of thinking.

My next best guess is that it affords individuals an opportunity to apply for an officer position well before graduation. They can get the education they choose from their school of choice (not all schools have NROTC) while still getting the aforementioned "college money". I like to think of it as a scholarship with flexibility. It can pay for tuition, lab fees, flight costs, or even a spring break trip to Tahiti (I wish). Point is, it is just another option for those who want to be in the Navy.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
nugget81 said:
I can't tell you the exact reason behind the program. It appears to be just another avenue of getting qualified individuals into an all-volunteer force. The military has used education/scholarships/money for college as a recruiting tool for some time, so it seems to fall in line with that line of thinking.

My next best guess is that it affords individuals an opportunity to apply for an officer position well before graduation. They can get the education they choose from their school of choice (not all schools have NROTC) while still getting the aforementioned "college money". I like to think of it as a scholarship with flexibility. It can pay for tuition, lab fees, flight costs, or even a spring break trip to Tahiti (I wish). Point is, it is just another option for those who want to be in the Navy.
I'd always thought it was a way of planning ahead and managing the Needs of the Navy.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Thisguy said:
Not a shore tour, a 3 year sea tour
I mis-understood... the sea tour is what "takes it out of his ass," yes?? You said "after," so I thought you meant the shore tour, which confused me. I get you now.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ex Rigger said:

Oh, I gotcha. I misread. I thought he got E-7 pay right before showing up to OCS.

Wankertank

Free Hat!
Ex Rigger said:
Not meaning to thread jack or offend BDCP guys. It's a great deal, just wondering why the Navy has the program.

I was wondering the same thing a couple of months ago while talking to my recruiter. I was interested because people will apply for OCS anyways...so why do they give them money before hand??

He told me that BDCP was a program started when the Navy was hurting for officer candidates, and needed to give people a good deal in order to get numbers for OCS. He said as recruiting numbers picked up BDCP wasnt as necessary but the Navy kept it around anyways.

IMHO, the Navy probably doesnt need it anymore as I think people would apply anyways or go to NROTC. However, I am sure it is valuable in recruiting some of the best students around and is a great program.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Wankertank said:
IMHO, the Navy probably doesnt need it anymore as I think people would apply anyways or go to NROTC. However, I am sure it is valuable in recruiting some of the best students around and is a great program.

I concur with eddie that it fills spots a fiscal year or two in advance so they're not scrambling to fill quotas late in the FY. This is especially important to SC/RL designators because OCS is the primary commissioning source.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Ex Rigger said:
I gotcha......but even then what is the point. What exactly is the Navy getting in return for giving a guy Chief's pay throughout college. It costs alot more than paying for someone's college i.e. NROTC and certainly more than putting someone through OCS.

He's right... The navy uses the program to fill slots with qualified individuals between 1-3 fiscal years ahead of time. From what my old recruiter explained to me, the program greatly helps the Navy smooth out it's numbers.

And this NROTC being cheaper for the navy is definitely not true. Take embry riddle for example; a private college that costs 25 grand a year to attend (not including any flight hours, thats $100,000 for 4 years). The navy gives out full scholarships to Aeronautical Science folks here as well. Can you say $150,000+? Even a fully funded BDCP'er that gets in at the 3 year mark would only cost the navy roughly $80,000.

The chiefs pay is only for NUPOC guys. A standard BDCP'er can only make as high as e-5. One can earn a promotion for referring someone in to the program, and/or making the deans list 2 semester in a row.

T37Driver

Lone Warrior
Congrats to all the newbies into BDCP....It was definitely a great program. The money and the time in Service helps especially when you put on Ensign Bars and you're getting about $500/month extra then other Ensigns because of the 2-2.5 extra years you have. Also, not having to work at walmart garden centre was great too:p ....

Well, now just work hard at your academics and PT. OCS isn't bad and 13 weeks just seemed to fly by.

Good luck and best wishes with your Naval careers.

NightStalker62

congrats man. would you be able to tell me your scores and other things like gpa and major. it would hepl me out a lot since im just getting scared about never being able to get in but im only a freshman so i guess i have time.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Godspeed said:
And this NROTC being cheaper for the navy is definitely not true. Take embry riddle for example; a private college that costs 25 grand a year to attend (not including any flight hours, thats $100,000 for 4 years). The navy gives out full scholarships to Aeronautical Science folks here as well. Can you say $150,000+? Even a fully funded BDCP'er that gets in at the 3 year mark would only cost the navy roughly $80,000.

That's obviously the high end of the spectrum. Most large public schools have ROTC units, and even then out of state tuition is less than 15K/yr. It'd be interesting to see what the actual mean is once you factor in the different costs of school.