• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fighting in Georgia

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

Great video of the Fulcrum at work...plenty of these guys in action on CNN. Those pointy nose guys get to have all the fun:D

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I hope that Georgia comes out on top of this whole thing. Russia has been pushing a bit too far, and it wasn't exactly like the UN was going to step in and put a stop to it (UAV shoot down anyone?).

Georgia's president said 150 Russian tanks and other vehicles had entered South Ossetia.
Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili says he is willing to agree an immediate ceasefire
He told CNN: "Russia is fighting a war with us in our own territory."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7548715.stm

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I have to say, I'm a little skeptical of the media making Russia out to be the bad guy in this. At least wholly the offending party...this Ossetia is in the same region as Chechnya, and a lot of those people down there are not happy with each other. Some of the reports coming out of there have the Georgians allegedly killing civilians, there are some of the "ethnic cleansing" accusations going around, and if Russia really "just wanted Georgia" why didn't they do it when they were retaking Chechnya? They have the military power to do about anything they want in the region, and we won't stop them...

I'm not a regional expert, I'm just not going to jump on the "evil Red empire" bandwagon this time...Georgia has enjoyed a tenuous democracy, they hopefully won't overstep their bounds trying to force their way into Nato.

Aether

I agree you you picklesuit. I'm not so sure Russia is the 'bad guy' here. It definitely sounds like they were provoked (many of the people in Southern Otessia are Russian citizens, at least according to Fox, iirc). They've also been in the area as 'peace keepers' for some time, and a strong military incursion would either provoke two actions: 1) Russia getting the hell out of there, which they wouldn't do because they're too involved in the region, or 2) exactly what's happening. Stepping up military power in the region and fighting back.

Also, what's the deal with Georgia trying to get into NATO? Are the Russian's opposed to this because it'd drag the EU and the US into a conflict if they ever tried to retake the area?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have to say, I'm a little skeptical of the media making Russia out to be the bad guy in this. At least wholly the offending party...this Ossentia is in the same region as Chechnya, and a lot of those people down there are not happy with each other. Some of the reports coming out of there have the Georgians allegedly killing civilians, there are some of the "ethnic cleansing" accusations going around, and if Russia really "just wanted Georgia" why didn't they do it when they were retaking Chechnya? They have the military power to do about anything they want in the region, and we won't stop them...

I'm not a regional expert, I'm just not going to jump on the "evil Red empire" bandwagon this time...Georgia has enjoyed a tenuous democracy, they hopefully won't overstep their bounds trying to force their way into Nato.

One of the reasons that Russia has an interest here is that there is a significant minority of ethnic Russian people living in the embattled areas. These ethnic Russians speak Russian and have ties to the motherland and are seen by Georgians as a separate and undesirable group of people. They're treated as second class citizens and their rights are oftentimes trampled upon, so it's east to understand why they want to break away from Georgia and have solicited the help of Russia. There's an easy parallel to draw with the situation in the Balkans - another area where disparate groups of people were forced to live together under communist rule. Once that authoritarian system is gone, they're free to resume their miscellaneous ancient quarrels and to start killing each other.

Brett

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
^plus the oil pipelines running through the area...
I just hope this doesn't turn into another Bosnia

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
The Russian Cossacks have faught in the Caucusus since before Ivan the Terrible, and Ivan has alway been a bully down there. I think there are more ethnic groups concentrated in that region than anywhere else on the planet.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The Russian Cossacks have faught in the Caucusus since before Ivan the Terrible, and Ivan has alway been a bully down there. I think there are more ethnic groups concentrated in that region than anywhere else on the planet.

"Kosaken kommeni!"