• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fighting in Georgia

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Ukraine is a completely different story.

Brett

Ukraine? Ukraine is weak!

33608094.jpg

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Someone did this once before using a similar rationale -- in Europe in the '30's -- you know, to "protect" the folks ... or was it the "volks" ... ??? :)

1938obsazeni_sudet_nemci2.jpg

If you are unable to LEARN from history, you're gonna repeat the same mistakes again ... and that's a fact, jack. :)

Could these fellas have been right all along??

Maca1.gif

patton.jpg

curtis_lemay.jpg

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
A4s:
You are right-on, good buddy. And I have to go get this Geronimo flick, as I haven't seen it yet. Duvall, Hackman & Wes Studi - what a lineup. Can never forget Studi from Last of the Mohicans as "Magua" (sp?). One incredibly mean & determined dude. If I had seen Studi in an indian movie as a child, I'd have wet my pants for sure. FWIW, Studi is a Viet Nam vet who apparently spent 18 months in-country with the US Army.

And don't forget HEAT. Studi is the reason I bought the Mossberg 590. BA.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Appreciate the 'Moskva' pics and link. Are the pics file, or recent? On the vid, the port side isn't shown. It is in one of your pics, and it's fine, which is why I wanted to know how recent they were. Also, I ran through the vid quick, but the narrator mentions Moskva about to go in for 8 months of repairs. I'd double check, but I'm headed out.
I'm not sayin', just sayin'...может быть.

Those pics are good.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Could these fellas have been right all along??

Maca1.gif

curtis_lemay.jpg

An insubordinate soldier of supreme arrogance and a guy who almost started WWIII on his own several times? Two of the greatest examples of why it is good to have civilians in charge. ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, they are enclaves with large ethnic minorities, but are they not still part of Georgia, as NATO and most Western nations recognize? Or do we allow Russia to arbitrarily re-draw the map with impunity? (I'm not suggesting we go to war over this, but it's a slippery slope)

I'm not condoning it, just pointing the differences between the two scenarios.

Brett

Flugelman

Contributor
An insubordinate soldier of supreme arrogance and a guy who almost started WWIII on his own several times? Two of the greatest examples of why it is good to have civilians in charge. ;)

Lyndon Baines Johnson and Robert Strange McNamara come to mind...:icon_rage

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
If Russia recognizes South Ossetia and Abkhazia, shouldn't they also recognize Chechnya? Seems hypocritical to me.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lyndon Baines Johnson and Robert Strange McNamara come to mind...:icon_rage

A few more come to mind, but at least the American people can kick 'em out, not so with military leaders.

Power to the people! ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If Russia recognizes South Ossetia and Abkhazia, shouldn't they also recognize Chechnya? Seems hypocritical to me.

Chechnya is not an independent country. Doesn't justify what the Russians did, but there are significant differences.

busdriver

None
I see a lot of people trying to moralize things in international politics. Every nation will act in it's own perceived best interest. Russia acted to protect it's territory in Chechnya, and acted to poke the west and Georgia(and all other break away FSU states) in the eye with a stick over South Ossetia. We're supporting Georgia, despite the fact that they ham-fisted their response to Russian bullying since they're western friendly and at least somewhat democratic. We're poking Russia back. The trick is to play the game and decrease the international political capital of our competitors, while preserving our own without escalating things to an actual war.