• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fighting in Georgia

yea, I think somebody needs to lay off the crackpipe ... here's a video of the Moskva returning to Sevastopol. (nothing exciting, but you can see there's no visible damage)

Some pics ... the most disturbing is the last one. It's good to see the Russian and American squids have something in common ... :D

S/F

Appreciate the 'Moskva' pics and link. Are the pics file, or recent? On the vid, the port side isn't shown. It is in one of your pics, and it's fine, which is why I wanted to know how recent they were. Also, I ran through the vid quick, but the narrator mentions Moskva about to go in for 8 months of repairs. I'd double check, but I'm headed out.
I'm not sayin', just sayin'...может быть.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
^Fog....are you that dude from the movie "Falling Down"?? Sometimes I think I could be that pissed too!

Gee, I hope neither of us is that guy. I'm not a big movie-goer nowadays [IMHO 90% of Hollywood movies are special-effects w/ no apparent plot or redeeming social value], but Douglas kinda lost it in that movie. My attitude towards contemporary popular culture is hopefully one of bemused tolerance.

My more extreme social thoughts?
(a) Today's Congress - Maybe the 9-11 Hijackers picked the wrong targets!;
(b) Britney, Lindsay, Paris, et al - Maybe the Taliban are onto something!
(c) Nancy P & Harry Reid - Do we have the national will to do anything more than pose for TV cameras anymore?,
(d) US Secondary Public Schools - Most dysfunctional & inefficient expenditure of property tax funds in the history of the world; and
(e) Europe & the USA - Rank the new world order in 2050 & guess who won't be there.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....IMHO 90% of Hollywood movies are special-effects w/ no apparent plot or redeeming social value..... + an excellent list follows ....
[threadjack/course deviation]

I agree ... and for the sake of comparision -- a glaring exception to this time-tested theorem would be a movie I recently rented: Geronimo -- An American Legend.

Granted, it's now dated @ 15 years +/- ... but it had some of the finest horsemanship I've seen in any movie for a long, long time. No special effects -- just Apaches, calvary, guns and horses gettin' it on .... honor, duty, and comradeship. All good stuff.

A GREAT cast, too -- but then, anything by John Milius rates a look-see in my book. :)

geronimoaj3.jpg

BTW ... the Indians really, really got shit upon by the good ol' US of A ...
[/threadjack/course deviation]

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
A4s:
You are right-on, good buddy. And I have to go get this Geronimo flick, as I haven't seen it yet. Duvall, Hackman & Wes Studi - what a lineup. Can never forget Studi from Last of the Mohicans as "Magua" (sp?). One incredibly mean & determined dude. If I had seen Studi in an indian movie as a child, I'd have wet my pants for sure. FWIW, Studi is a Viet Nam vet who apparently spent 18 months in-country with the US Army.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Studi is a Viet Nam vet who apparently spent 18 months in-country with the US Army.
Roger that: drafted, spent a whole bunch of time in-country down in the Delta w/ the 9th Infantry Division during the bad days .... hard core.

Good actor, donates a lot of time to Indian charities, has written two children's books, and plays in a rock band. If only the rest of the Hollywood elite could do as well .... :)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^Didn't realize he was a 'nam Vet.... I first remember him as a Pawnee warrior in Dances w/ Wolves....and Magua was great too, (Mohawk warrior I think)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
This is pretty ridiculous, even if its only one article. I understand that we don't have the boots on the ground capability to make the russians pull out, but pulling our ships out? Ridiculous. We are the superpower, the russians took a week to kick the equivalent of South Dakota National Guard's asses (no offense to the South Dakota National Guard), if we want to use warships to unload goods in an open port, who the hell are they to influence us? I'm sure this is wayyyyy over any of our paygrades, but pandering to Russia is not the way to handle them. They understand brute force and intimidation better than anything else. Standing toe to toe with them for forty years after playing kiss ass worked one time. Avoiding the kiss ass period and going straight to eyeballing them might have better results the second time around. Harsh words don't mean a whole lot to the nation that threatened to bury us. Kicking them out of the G-8 would be a good start, and scooping up old warsaw pact nations that enjoy freedom and not being a part of Russia into NATO would be a better follow on.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I got the pics & the link for the video from a .ru forum that focuses on the Russian navy ... they were "supposedly" taken within the last week as the ship pulled in from its "deployment". So yea, since I didn't take the pics or shoot the video, I can't vouch for the validity of them ... they could be file stuff from the past.

oh, here's a link to a Reuter's article stating the Moskva pulled back out to sea on 25 Aug ... a quick turn on repairs, eh.

Like anything else open source & from a war zone, take it all with a grain of salt ... "just sayin'"

S/F

Appreciate the 'Moskva' pics and link. Are the pics file, or recent? On the vid, the port side isn't shown. It is in one of your pics, and it's fine, which is why I wanted to know how recent they were. Also, I ran through the vid quick, but the narrator mentions Moskva about to go in for 8 months of repairs. I'd double check, but I'm headed out.
I'm not sayin', just sayin'...может быть.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
South Ossetia and Abkhazia have a large minority of people who want to break-away from Georgia. Ukraine is a completely different story.

Brett

Yes, they are enclaves with large ethnic minorities, but are they not still part of Georgia, as NATO and most Western nations recognize? Or do we allow Russia to arbitrarily re-draw the map with impunity? (I'm not suggesting we go to war over this, but it's a slippery slope)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
My understanding is that the 2 DDGS will still be pulling in tomorrow unless I am totally oblivious and missed something since this afternoon.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
(South Ossetia and Abkhazia) .... are enclaves with large ethnic minorities.....do we allow Russia to arbitrarily re-draw the map with impunity? (I'm not suggesting we go to war over this, but it's a slippery slope)
Someone did this once before using a similar rationale -- in Europe in the '30's -- you know, to "protect" the folks ... or was it the "volks" ... ??? :)

1938obsazeni_sudet_nemci2.jpg

If you are unable to LEARN from history, you're gonna repeat the same mistakes again ... and that's a fact, jack. :)