• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fighter Ace Robin Olds laid to rest

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
That would be 17 kills. I think he should have at least had a cameo in Iron Eagle III.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
He was the mastermind of Operation Bolo in Vietnam, I forgot how many NVAF MiGs they downed in that, but it was an amazing feat of deception and strategery.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
He was the mastermind of Operation Bolo in Vietnam, I forgot how many NVAF MiGs they downed in that, but it was an amazing feat of deception and strategery.

We claimed 7 and the Vietnamese claimed they lost 5. The NVA leading ace, according to our records, was brought down in that battle. They have 3 Mig-21 pilots that when matched with our records, are aces. The NAV pilot that day was Coc with 6 kills..our records (he claims 9).

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
That would be 17 kills. I think he should have at least had a cameo in Iron Eagle III.

Wikipidiea says 16, but he passed up several opportunities to get more because the running rumor was the AF was going to take him out of action when he got 17, and make some kind of publicity figure for the AF.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wikipidiea says 16, but he passed up several opportunities to get more because the running rumor was the AF was going to take him out of action when he got 17, and make some kind of publicity figure for the AF.

I don't completely buy that, I think he was an aggresive enough guy that he would have taken the opportunity if presented to him. I have seen several anecdotes that he allowed more junior guys to get a kill than him, that makes more sense. I would chalk it up as an urban legend unless you find a quote on it from him or one of his contemporaries.

badger16

None
The Dogfights they did on Operation Bolo included interview footage with him. Looked like, acted like, and talked like a superb leader and soldier. If you haven't seen that one you really should. It's one of my favorites.

Rest In Peace.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
Amazing pilot and amazing record.

Requiescat in pace.

My company sponsored him as the guest speaker at the Westfield Airshow last year. He was still the ultimate fighter guy. He drank scotch straight up, was arrogant and bossy and talked about whatever he wanted at the podium. I think he even made some off-color (in today's world) jokes.

God Bless America.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great news coverage of his internment at USAFA. Note variation of missing man fly-by; very appropriate

viet25.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dale Boggie, USAF (Ret) has penned this excellent recap of the Memorial Service for BGen Robin Olds at USAFA on 30 June 2007 and consented to posting it here

MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR BRIGADIER GENERAL ROBIN OLDS
USAF ACADEMY, COLORADO SPRINGS, COLORADO
30 JUNE 2007

The entrance to the Cadet Chapel was lined with the Cadet Honor Guards plus 50 Patriot Honor Guards who volunteer their services to honor fallen veterans.

At 1000 hours sharp, six members of the Honor Guard, bearing the beautiful, hand crafted bronze urn, with a spread-winged eagle atop, preceded the family of Robin Olds up the steps, under the raised sabers of the Honor Guard, into the Chapel. The choir sang the hymn, Lord Guard and Guide the Men Who Fly..

The ceremony began with the presentation of the colors, the National Anthem and opening words by the Chaplain. Then a series of eulogies were presented.

Robin’s daughter Susan led off with remembrances of being a teenager living at the Academy while Robin was Commandant of Cadets for three years. Robin taught her to drive on the Academy grounds and to ride horses at the equestrian center. She found out it was okay to date more than one Cadet at a time because no one would do anything untoward with the Commandant’s daughter.

General Ralph “Ed” Eberhart was next to stride up, salute the urn and speak of his experiences as a Senior Cadet and the Cadet Wing Commander when Robin arrived. He told the famous incident of Robin’s first meeting with the Cadet Corps. Robin had been directed to lose the handlebar mustache, which was his trademark as leader of the 8th TFW “Wolfpack”. On a given signal at the end of Robin’s speech, 4000 Cadets whipped out and donned black-paper handlebar mustaches and began stomping and shouting, Olds, Olds, OLDS! Robin rose to his full height, jaws clenched, eyes blazing – then extended his middle finger and flipped them all a big sweeping bird – with a huge grin on his face.

Colonel JB Stone was next to salute the urn and tell of the first time he met Robin Olds, who as the new Commander of the 8th TFW, called a meeting of all the pilots.
At the time, JB already had 60 or 70 missions over North Vietnam logged. He had an engine shot out from under him and several bullet holes here and there on some pretty hairy missions. Robin told the pilots, “I’m your new boss. I’ll be flying your wing for a couple of weeks and at the end of that time, I’ll be better than any of you.” JB muttered under his breath, “We’ll see.” It came out a little louder than JB intended. Robin heard it and immediately fixed JB with those steely eyes and forcefully repeated his statement. And, JB said he did exactly as he had said. He became the best and was a fearless leader. JB was later picked to help Robin plan Operation Bolo, wherein F-4s masqueraded as heavily bomb-laden F-105s to lure Migs to come up and fight. Seven Migs went down in flames. The Military channel has run the episode several times, titled “Ambush” in the “Dogfight” series.

BGen Bob “Earthquake” Titus then spoke of Robin Olds, the Man. He tried to explain the unique qualities that set Robin apart from other Wing Commanders he had known during combat in Korea and Vietnam. He boiled it down to the fact that Robin was a leader who led like no others. He was a warrior, dedicated to the mission, with audacious and selfless willingness to go where others dare not tread. He led the 8th Tactical Fighter Wing with skill and panache. He had the presence and conviction to lead the toughest missions. He inspired his troops to emulate him, and they fought to fly with him. He gave no quarter and asked for none. His planning and execution of “Operation Bolo” was a masterly deception and the most successful aerial battle of the Vietnam War. Seven Migs went down in flames against none from the 8th Wing. Titus also revealed another side of Robin as a writer able to weave spell-binding tales in a book he had started writing. Robin’s daughter Christina has vowed to finish the book for her Dad. Earthquake was obviously touched as he bid farewell to a man he greatly admired and was proud to call his best friend. He closed with a, Goodbye my friend, rest in peace and may a flight of Angels sing thee to thy rest.

Captain Jack McEncroe, a U.S. Marine fighter pilot spoke of his 30 year friendship as a nearby neighbor of Robin in Steamboat Springs. He paid tribute to a man whose courage, charisma, devotion to duty and fearlessness in expressing his beliefs has inspired us all. He characterized Robin as a “renaissance man” who was at the same time a renegade and a visionary; a poet and an assassin; an artist and deep thinker, yet a practical joker. He transformed the 8th TFW into the “Wolfpack”. “Go get them, men”, from the leadership was replaced by “FOLLOW ME!” Deadwood was sent home, tactics changed. Base services were available 24/7 to the men he was sending into combat around the clock. No more shutting off the hot water at midnight or closing the bar. Jack told of a pilot named Phil Combies who was gleefully celebrating a successful mission and managed to damage some of the Club furnishings and decor one night. He was ordered to report to the Wing Commander, Col. Robin Olds, at 0800 hours the next morning. He was there promptly. Robin however was dreading the chewing out he would have to administer for something he had himself been guilty of several times. Robin finally braced himself, put on his sternest visage and strode into his office at 0815. Combies saluted smartly and said, “Sir, you’re late.” That cracked Robin up. The long index finger waved, the smile broke out, damage to the Club got paid somehow, and another tale was added to the saga of Robin Olds. Jack and his wife Anita cherished their 30 years of friendship with Robin: 30 years of watching his god-awful backswing on the golf course; 30 years of skiing through the trees in fresh powder up to their knees; 30 years of listening to the Cross-Eyed Bull story. Jack gave a final salute to a man he dubbed the best aerial combat leader who ever lived.

Verne Lundquist, Hall of Fame sportscaster, neighbor and friend of Robin tried to demonstrate Robin’s backswing. It featured a couple of contorted pauses on the way up, then a mighty downswing. On one occasion the ball carried the par 3 green, bounced a couple of times and went into the cup. Verne shouted, “You got a hole in one! It went into the cup!” Robin said, “That’s the point isn’t it.”
When Robin was selected for induction into the College Football Hall of Fame as an All American on Offense and Defense, he asked Verne, “Is this a big deal? Do I have to go?” Verne told him, Yes, and he went and made a gracious acceptance speech. On another occasion he and Robin were hassled by some obnoxious guy who wanted to pick a fight with Robin. Robin stood up, squared his shoulders and said, “I’ve killed more people than you will ever know, for less reason than you are giving me right now! NOW SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!” While on a tour of Germany, Verne and Robin stopped at a tavern where there were some pictures of Luftwaffe aircraft on the walls. When they asked the proprietor about them he said he had been a pilot, but had been shot down. Robin started comparing notes on location time of day, cloud formations, tactics, etc., and at the end of the day after several drinks, they were convinced that indeed, it was Robin who had shot him down. A few months later, Verne and Robin were watching some of Robin’s gun camera film being shown on TV when Robin suddenly exclaimed, “That’s the guy!” As Verne said, “If the story is not true, it should be.”

Christina Olds and her daughter Jennifer Newman wrapped up the remembrances. Christina remembered Robin dropping her off at the Arnold Hall rec center for a date with some Cadet. Robin said he’d be back at 2200 hours to pick her up. Chris called about 2000 hours and asked Dad to come pick her up. The Cadet didn’t show up because of some infraction. Chris figured he ended up in bombers someplace – certainly not in fighters. When Robin’s health started failing, Chris quit her job and moved to Steamboat to take care of her Dad. She frequently took him for long drives through the mountains, often with a picnic lunch to share at some scenic spot.

Jennifer told of her Grandfather helping her set out a bowl of salad on the snow covered porch to feed Santa’s reindeer. Sure enough, the next morning the salad was gone and reindeer tracks were in the snow all over the porch. A long time later, Jennifer came across some wooden reindeer feet that Robin had carved to make those tracks.

Christina said that it was only in his last week or so that Robin started to get really tired. He still would tell people who called that he was just fine, just getting old. Chris was with him when he drifted off to sleep peacefully and after a few minutes drew his last breath.

Chris orchestrated every detail of the funeral service, the graveside ceremony and the flyby, of course with help from friends and splendid cooperation from the Academy Staff and the Silverwood Hotel where the reception and Fighter Pilot Wake were held.

For the wake, most of the participants changed into flight gear, sang the old songs, shared stories and reminisced with photos being shown and narrated by Susan and Chris as we heartedly drank from Robin’s Stash.
The flyby consisted of aircraft in trail at 30 second intervals: First, a T-33 representing the F-80 as the first jet Robin flew, and later flew as a member of the first all-jet aerial demonstration team.

Next came another T-33, representing the aircraft Robin flew to maintain currency while at the Academy. General Ed Eberhart told of the time Robin invited Chappie James to come to the academy as a guest speaker. Chappie flew a T-33 in and Robin was in another T-33 just waiting to bounce him in a surprise welcome. A big dogfight ensued right over the Academy.

Next a P-51 Mustang came across with the 1200 horse engine emitting a throaty roar as it did in the sky over Europe when Robin flew it in WW II.

Next came a flight of four F-16s from the Colorado ANG. Surely Robin would have made some comment about the formation being flown, as number three and four were a little late in closing up for their pass.

Next, a Mig 17, trailing smoke made a high speed pass. Robin shot down two of these aircraft during the Vietnam War.

Finally a beautiful flight of F-4 Phantoms in classic fingertip-four formation approached. The F-4’s, one from Tyndall and three from Holloman, are actually drones to be used in weapons testing. On this occasion they were flown by pilots and led by LtCol “ET” Murphy of Tyndall. “ET” is also a member of our “Aspenosium” group of active duty and retired fighter pilots who convene annually in Steamboat Springs for skiing, socializing and symposium presentations by those involved in fighter development, weapons and tactics. Robin was our leader and will be sorely missed.

The Missing Man formation was slightly modified for this special event. As the formation neared the cemetery, “ET” flying lead as WOLF ONE, Robin’s Call Sign, initiated a sharp pull-up to vertical and went straight up to a pin point directly over the gravesite. It was a spectacular and flawlessly executed maneuver. Robin would have been beaming with pride at the performance of his troops.

One final note reinforces the fact that Christina Olds is without a doubt her father’s daughter. It involved the presentation of the flag to Robin’s survivors. The first went to Susan, the oldest, the second to Jennifer, the youngest. The 3rd flag was destined for Chris, but she had directed that it be presented it to Colonel JB Stone, Robin’s comrade-in-arms. This unselfish and completely unexpected act, deeply touched JB and all of us who understood the bond between these two men.

It is the kind of thing Robin would have done.

Dale Boggie, Colonel, USAF Ret