• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Female Jet Pilot

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
bikegirl said:
Thanks again for the feedback. As for my age, I turned 21 a few months ago. What exactly is the age requirement for joining the Navy as an aviator? I was thinking about getting an advanced degree before becoming a pilot, but from what i've read on the forum i'm starting to second-guess that thought. Do you think it would be better to pursue a masters after joining the Navy rather than before?

YES! Like Wink is saying, get started now. An advanced degree is admirable, but if flying for the Navy (and perhaps jets down the road) is your current goal, get going now. Besides, why pay for your Masters when you can get the Navy to help you out later. Sounds like you're sitting well on the age thing. The minimum limit for commissioning is 19 (I think). At my ROTC unit, we actually had a student who just turned 19 and then got commissioned. It was actually something they had to look up. But regardless, at 21 w/ 2 more years sounds like a good place to be to try for BDCP.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
But regardless, at 21 w/ 2 more years sounds like a good place to be to try for BDCP.
YUP! Get off the bike saddle for a day and go see a recruiter. Report back any problems or confusion.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I thought a 21 year old Ensign was clueless....I'd hate to see a 19 year old Ensign, brain child or not....

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Bike,

BDCP can be a timely venture. I have friends who took over a year from initially application to swearing in. If you have strong motivation or a lot of free time, I went from initial application to swearing in four months. BDCP is so sweet. Offered flight slot before commitment, two grand a month until graduation and no ROTC. I can't wait for OCS...

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Out of sheer curiosity, how many female midshipmen/OCs/officers do we have on these boards? I've only seen a couple, and as far as I can tell I'm the only female midshipman that I've seen.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
fc2spyguy said:
I thought a 21 year old Ensign was clueless....I'd hate to see a 19 year old Ensign, brain child or not....

Out of curiosity, was the 21 year old male or female? I know it shouldn't matter, but I've seen a VERY naive 22 year old female ensign join a ship, and by the end of her tour, her guys were VERY protective of her (think: very angry stares at our table full of aviators and all the female shoes). I'm not trying to turn this into another female/ability thread. It was just interesting to watch how a very naive (or young) Ensign gained their trust and loyalty.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
gatordev said:
Out of curiosity, was the 21 year old male or female? I know it shouldn't matter, but I've seen a VERY naive 22 year old female ensign join a ship, and by the end of her tour, her guys were VERY protective of her (think: very angry stares at our table full of aviators and all the female shoes). I'm not trying to turn this into another female/ability thread. It was just interesting to watch how a very naive (or young) Ensign gained their trust and loyalty.

Protective because she needed protection, or protective because they respected her and wanted to look out for her?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, she was at a table full of aviators........

Actually, they were protective because they respected her and were looking out for her. She got pretty loaded that night, but she was certainly in no danger from any of us. Did make it interesting when I had to drive through the base gate in a Navy van while she wouldn't shut up. And yes, I was the DD, so I was legal.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fc2spyguy said:

Good thing you weren't in the big one...(WWII) because there were all sorts of youthful officers...including George Bush Sr below age of 21 and at age 30 you were over the hill. There were plenty of aviators who were 0-2/3 in 42-43 who were O-5/6 by '45 and still not 30 yet.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
heyjoe said:
Good thing you weren't in the big one...(WWII) because there were all sorts of youthful officers...including George Bush Sr below age of 21 and at age 30 you were over the hill. There were plenty of aviators who were 0-2/3 in 42-43 who were O-5/6 by '45 and still not 30 yet.

Yeah, different time, people grew up a lot faster and there were many reasons for it.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Growing up fast

fc2spyguy said:
Yeah, different time, people grew up a lot faster and there were many reasons for it.

Maybe it was the unfiltered cigarettes they all smoked...kidding aside...I believe environment was a factor. Met one Wildcat ace who was a normal JG flying and fighting who in an instant became the XO after Battle of Coral Sea when a flight deck mishap ended the life of the original XO. How many JGs today would be ready for that? Butch O'Hare was a rock steady LT who waxed a bunch of Betty Bombers and got the medal for it (very deservedly...BTW - great display of a Wildcat and depiction of that episode at O'Hare airport if you are ever stuck between flights) and due to rapid expansion of Navy was CO and then CAG in short order before his untimely demise. How many LTs are ready for that?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Tough times bring out the best and worst in people. If the CO, XO, and every dept head in a squadron got whacked tommorrow, the next guy in line would stand up and get the job done. A couple guys will fold and get left on the wayside, but the majority will rise to the occassion. Of course, the dental readiness reports, SORTS, morning reports,etc, etc (and of course the dreaded TPS reports) might be left by the wayside too--and thank God for that. Sometimes I think going into a battle with a 50% casualty rate might be preferable to the sea of BS we wade through daily.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
Tough times bring out the best and worst in people. If the CO, XO, and every dept head in a squadron got whacked tommorrow, the next guy in line would stand up and get the job done. A couple guys will fold and get left on the wayside, but the majority will rise to the occassion. Of course, the dental readiness reports, SORTS, morning reports,etc, etc (and of course the dreaded TPS reports) might be left by the wayside too--and thank God for that. Sometimes I think going into a battle with a 50% casualty rate might be preferable to the sea of BS we wade through daily.

OUTSTANDING perspective, phrogdriver. Well said.