• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Female Jet Pilot

bikegirl

Two legs, two wheels, one big smile.
I'm interested in joining the the Navy to become a jet/fighter pilot. I have read on this forum (and heard from other sources) that it is incredibly difficult to be selected to fly jets. Is this true? What could I do to make myself more marketable in order to be selected to attend flight training school and get through OCS? I'm a dual major in Aerospace Engineering and Geology with a 3.75 GPA, I'm a competitive cyclist and active in a large number of organizations. But I have no flight experience at this point.

Also, if there are any female Naval aviators out there, could you give me a little insight into what it's like and what it takes to excel in that career?

Thanks!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dont know if there are any female aviators on the forum. As with any selection it all comes down to many factors almost none of which you ahve any control over. If you are number one in your primary class you are ALMOST guaranteed jets-that is waht you ahve some control over i.e. do well. The overriding factor is THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE THAT WEEK, if they are short P-3 guys there might be a big prop draft and everyone get those or Helos or there might be a jet draft on. Noone here can tell you what your chances of getting into OCS, through flight school or to a particular platform are. Just apply, do well see what happens, if youa re fortunate enough to wear Wings of Gold I promise you will love whatever platform you get.
Good luck

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know this might sound a bit jaded, but I don't mean it to be. If you are able to pass the requirements for application to OCS (medical, academic, physical), then on paper, as a female, you probably have a better chance than the average bear. Wink (another user here) will probably chime in w/ more educated information, but a female dual-major engineer w/ good grades and (based on what you wrote) in good physical shape has got to be a recruiters dream.

Now, that with that out of the way, as Skid has said, once you have your foot in the door, it's up to you. Do well, work hard, and you've got a good shot. But in the end, it's up to the needs of the services.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
One of my good friends (female) from OCS selected jets not too long ago. Like was said by skidkid, just concentrate now on applying to OCS. You sound like you have a pretty competetive package, so go for it. Nothing you do now (except developing good study habits) will make you more competitive for a jet slot coming out of Primary. Primary is a stand-alone evaluation. I'm not an expert or anything, but what I saw coming out of Primary was not quite as dim as skidkid's view of selection (at least not for the Navy. Admittedly the Marines right now have a really hard time getting jets). If you want jets, and you're willing to work hard for it, no one is going to stop you. If for some reason you don't get jets, then you'll know you did your best in Primary and you can go kick butt in whatever you do select. Or, if like me you start primary wanting jets and (wisely:) ) change your mind and start wanting helos about half-way through primary, you'll still be on the road to success. Give it a shot. You've nothing to lose.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Listen to those above, good info. I will say though, if you really have your heart set on being a fighter pilot, the Navy may not be the best bet. Meaning there is more of a chance on not being a jet jockey than being one. I think around 35% of all navy pilots fly jets, you do the math. You might want to consider an Air Guard unit that fly's F-16's or F-15's. If you are accepted to that particular unit, make the grade in flight school, you will fly the aircraft specific to that gaurd unit. If you want to be a Navy fighter pilot, then go for it and set your goals but understand it's a possibility you may fly helo's, P-3's or the ugliest of the bunch, COD's :eek: Good luck.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
Search the forum... there's more info on the site about being a female aviator. A recent one even had info about attitudes in the various communities and random stuff about the female flight suit, harness, and other safety equipment issues.

bikegirl

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to go ahead and try for jets. I am of the opinion that if you work really hard, you can do anything! Maybe a little naive but it has been true for me so far.

I will check out the other posts on the forum to get more details on what it's like for a female pilot.

highflyer

I don't know where you are in school. But if you haven't graduated with a degree yet, you should look into the Bachelor Degree Completion Program(BDCP). Through this program you can secure a flight spot prior to graduating. You have to attend OCS and meet all the requirements, then its up to you to perform the best you can to determine the aircraft you fly.

I too am female and hope to achieve jets. Like you, I believe that this progam gets my foot in the door and the rest is up to me to work hard.

bikegirl

<But if you haven't graduated with a degree yet, you should look into the Bachelor Degree Completion Program(BDCP).>

You know, I was thinking that too. I've still got two more years of school left (it's taking me six years total to finish my undergrad, this being my 4th year....I did a year-long internship and am studying abroad so it slowed things down a little) so I'm thinking it might be wise for me to sign up early and get a jump on things.

I read a bunch of the other posts regarding being a female aviator. Quite interesting. It seems that there is still a lot of controversy about women in the military in general, and especially for being in combat posts like fighter pilots. I would guess that the controversy on this forum is probably an accurate representation of the debate in the rest of the miliary right now. Seems to me that the only differences between men and women would be in hand-to-hand combat situations, not so much in flying an aircraft...

On a related note, are the physical requirements for being a Naval aviator the same for men and women, or are they different? I personally would rather have them the same, but that is just me. Does anybody know if there is there lots of exercise built into your daily regime or if you have to find time outside of work for it (like in civilian life)? If I can't exercise I start to go crazy....that is why i ask.

Thanks for all of the tips.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the ring side tag gatordev
Bikegirl,
What we don't know is your age. That is a big thing now. Much over 23 or 24 and your chances are compromised. A double major in engineering and hard science with your GPA is great. If you do have more then a year to graduate then look at BDCP NOW! Do not deplay. Your best chance for selection is through BDCP. It also comes with the most dough . Sounds like your physical condition is good, mecial and legal issues are unknown and can shoot you down faster then anything. See a recruiter ASAP. The process takes months and if you were to be slected for BDCP you will lose thousands of dollars for every moth you delay.

Physical requirements at OCS are different for females. Touchy subject for some guys, me included. Fact is, that is the case throughout the military. But it has been that way since I went through AOCS with one of the very first classes with female candidates in it. Good luck!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If, by physical requirements, you mean such things as scores in physical fitness tests, women are scored differently in both the Navy and Marines. Of course, requirements like height and weight are also adjusted for gender. For example, a 6'2" man is required to be less than 214lbs in the Marines, while a 6'2" woman is considered just plain scary.

Unfortunately, physical training pretty much comes out of your own time. It's something of a hose-job in that the military, well, at least the Marines, expects you to be in shape, but doesn't allow time to work out. Just one of those things you're expected to do.

As far as selection, always work towards your dreams, but keep an open mind to everything. You may find that props or helos are right up your alley, once you progress a little further and learn a little more. Perhaps not, but don't exclude any possibilities until you have the chance to get a little more exposure to them.

bikegirl

Thanks again for the feedback. As for my age, I turned 21 a few months ago. What exactly is the age requirement for joining the Navy as an aviator? I was thinking about getting an advanced degree before becoming a pilot, but from what i've read on the forum i'm starting to second-guess that thought. Do you think it would be better to pursue a masters after joining the Navy rather than before?

I still have 2 years before i finish my undergrad, but it's not that far away when you think about it! Gotta start planning early!