• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feeling Ill

pdx

HSM Pilot
Everybody above has given really good advice (chairfly chairfly chairfly).

Just to point out something else, don't feel too stressed. Your IP knows if you are trying hard and putting in the necessary work. Even if you completely jack yourself up, he can tell by your briefs and your improvement from day to day. Try not to make the same mistakes twice, and that is impressive enough. If you can rattle off your EPs on the ground, then you will (eventually) be able to do them in the aircraft. All you need is to acclimate to your environment and calm down.

Some people feel great after C4004, some feel like they are hanging on by the tail feathers. From what I saw, however, it was not much of an indicator of how well they did. Maybe that's why the Navy doesn't even count those first four flights into your score.

I was not the hottest stick in the world, especially at the beginning. But I nailed the briefs and always tried to stay teachable in the aircraft. In the end, I still got my second choice (54 got me helos, not jets), but I did as well as I could so I am proud to be where I am. Also, I am having a blast.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Gatordev, rep points to you, great post.

Gracias.

To the others that mention doing your procedures while distracted... GREAT ADVICE! Can't believe I forgot that part. That really is key.

@Chunks:

I thought Pink Sheet had been around longer than that. When did you start Primary?

pdx

HSM Pilot
I don't think Pink-Sheet is at VT-6 anymore. I selected out of 6 a few months ago, and I don't know who he is.

Or maybe he has changed his ways. Or maybe I was just lucky and oblivious to my surroundings (bad SA!).

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Ok, so this thread allows me to ask a related question...or not, depending on your mood :icon_tong

So, what do you guys do if you have to puke in the cockpit? Are there air sickness bags or a dedicated place to let it roll?

Let me apologize for the thread jack in advance.

pdx

HSM Pilot
So, what do you guys do if you have to puke in the cockpit? Are there air sickness bags or a dedicated place to let it roll?

There is no built-in puke receptacle, if that is what you are asking.

There are airsickness bags readily available at gear issue, but I highly suggest investing in a few gallon size ziplock bags. You can fit your whole face in it, and you can seal it up afterward. I had never experienced motion sickness or sea-sickness before, so I figured I was not susceptible (HA!). I felt very sick on FAM1 and even worse on FAM2. I did not actually puke, but I started carrying the ziplock. It was a good habit, because I got quite sick on my first aerobatic flight. After that, it was smooth sailing.

A buddy of mine got sick without a bag. He tried to keep most of it in his flightsuit:sick_125:, but he still managed to get some on the seat and the right hand avionics console. He had to abort the flight and go home, plus he had to clean up the cockpit. It isn't meant as a punishment, but the maintenance guys are NOT going to do it for you. I can think of better things to do than spend two hours in the blazing sun trying to scrub vomit out of the crevices of a T-34.

Maybe in the AF, they would just throw the plane away and buy a new one. Uh oh, what's the Puke EP ... eject!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, so this thread allows me to ask a related question...or not, depending on your mood :icon_tong

Let me apologize for the thread jack in advance.

Everyone I know still carries an airsick bag with them on their flights, even if they've never puked or gotten sick before. Better to have it and not need it. If you don't have an airsick bag... well... puke in your nav-bag... helmet-bag... flightsuit... anywhere but all over the cockpit.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Thank you for the answers! I was wondering, since I get motion sick pretty easily. I plan to stay on the ground as much as possible, but if I get called to active duty, I may be flown around someplace. :)

GMan1976

Banned
Just landed FAM 4!!! Not a hint of sickness (was pretty incapacitated for most of 1, a tid bit of 2, and a smidgen of 3)! The best flight yet... Whew...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just landed FAM 4!!! Not a hint of sickness (was pretty incapacitated for most of 1, a tid bit of 2, and a smidgen of 3)! The best flight yet... Whew...

You may find that, from FAM 4 on, there's just way too much for you to do that you don't worry about getting sick. I think that's why some guys get over it until PA 1, and then it comes back or hits them the first time. PA1 is a lot of show and tell, so the stud isn't kept as busy.

pdx

HSM Pilot
You may find that, from FAM 4 on, there's just way too much for you to do that you don't worry about getting sick. I think that's why some guys get over it until PA 1, and then it comes back or hits them the first time. PA1 is a lot of show and tell, so the stud isn't kept as busy.

That's exactly what happened to me. Having the instructor at the controls demonstrating maneuvers absolutely destroyed me.

Snacks

Everyone leave, I have to poop. NOW!!!
Me too. I FILLED two bags, with the hot mike accidentally on...:sick_125: