• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

February 2012 SNA OCS Board

David Abreu

Okie, Im in the married Club with 2 kids, @ soon to be 28. Its awesome to have support and family to fight for. No matter what happens to our dreams, we have our loved ones to encourage us. So its AWESOME man!

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
Finally got to talk to recruiter again...said I'm not eligible until the APRIL board. Is that what you guys are hearing too that were August non-selects, because of the 6 month wait? Might try taking the ASTB again (5,6,5, 50) don't really want to but probably will. He said he could get some interviews lined up too. I'm planning on taking some of those interviewer appraisal sheets down to the airshow with me just in case(thanks edg33). Never know when one of the pilots or NFOs might have some time to spare before or after the airshow. I found out that the Senator LOR doesn't have to be on the standard NAVY LOR form either if anyone else was wondering. My OR said whatever he sent would be fine.

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
Finally got to talk to recruiter again...said I'm not eligible until the APRIL board. Is that what you guys are hearing too that were August non-selects, because of the 6 month wait? Might try taking the ASTB again (5,6,5, 50) don't really want to but probably will. He said he could get some interviews lined up too. I'm planning on taking some of those interviewer appraisal sheets down to the airshow with me just in case(thanks edg33). Never know when one of the pilots or NFOs might have some time to spare before or after the airshow. I found out that the Senator LOR doesn't have to be on the standard NAVY LOR form either if anyone else was wondering. My OR said whatever he sent would be fine.

Explain to me WHY you are not eligible? If it's the whole "six month waiting period" bs, get some changes on your application. be pro active to get that pro rec.

...heh.

flyman3456

Goshawk
Hey peep's. Don't know why you think there is going to be a board in Feb 12'. Last time I checked there is no board scheduled.

I see that you guys post comments on here about flying jets... That's cool and all, but the fact is... The Navy isn't looking for the next top gun. They aren't looking for jet pilots. Take a few minutes to think about what I just said, and if this confuses you... maybe you should message me for the answer. Maybe there is a reason you haven't been selected if you have already tried. Also, if you have a degree in Criminology.. Last time I checked.. The Navy is looking for someone to operate a multimillion dollar aircraft with a degree in criminology. I personally don't know anyone with that degree serving as a pilot.. Maybe a SWO, or Supply Officer.. What math or physics skills does a person in Criminology or physical education have?? Not here to be negative ladies and gentleman, just being honest with you so that you can be honest with yourselves.

I am prior enlisted, I have been selected SNA, and I don't have jet posters hanging up in my room... I fly a Pitts S-2 out at the airfield.

You better check that attitude at the door or you'll never make it through OCS. Nobody cares about your Pitts S-2. Pilots do have degree's in Criminology. And the Navy is looking for Jet pilots.

I'm not trying to flame, just trying to help.

Reactions: JEP

Okie3

Explain to me WHY you are not eligible? If it's the whole "six month waiting period" bs, get some changes on your application. be pro active to get that pro rec.

...heh.

He said the six month waiting period thing. If my OR is counting from August wouldn't January be six months....but April does let me have a little more time to change up my application so I didn't complain....(honestly wish there wasn't a 6 month wait rule) Said I need to get all my application stuff in to him by around Febuary for April.

Plus if I try January get Non-select again that knocks me out of April's board. I have been pro active, got one more LOR already, plan on interviews, he told me to start studying for the ASTB again, .....He did say something about looking for volunteer hours like soup kitchen, habitat for humanity, etc.....I started and led a youth sports fundamentals after school program in my hometown for 4th and 5th graders recently (lots of low income kids here)....thats something else to put on there for volunteer work. I've got other volunteer hours from college too. I'm out here in RURAL AMERICA so its kind of hard to find organized volunteer stuff. I did think about my local volunteer fire department. I'd get to learn some cool stuff, help people, and it might be some skills I could use later on.

I'm changing ORs probably in a few months he said too. He's only going to be doing chaplain applicants in a few months. Anybody else had to go through a couple of ORs?

marmoset54

There is a bit of strategy in resubmitting application. If you have a new LOR, interviews and some volunteering hours (dedicate a month), that's enough for a resubmission. You may submit for the Jan. board. I know this from experience.

Here's another thing that you could do in theory: While you should submit the best application you can, you might want to have an LOR up your backsleeve/some other volunteering hours. That significantly changes an application as well. You might look into (I have no idea...Lucy might) what constitutes a change.

Good luck.

AT3Macklin

Commissioned 17 AUG 2012
I agree. Not to shoot marmoset down but it seems like every post from him is negative to some degree. I'm not sure if you feel better than everyone because you are a final select, but in all honesty you should be out to give constructive criticism like any Naval Officer would do. Criticism and suggestions are great but they will not serve the intended purpose if they are percieved to be malicious.

Okie3

There is a bit of strategy in resubmitting application. If you have a new LOR, interviews and some volunteering hours (dedicate a month), that's enough for a resubmission. You may submit for the Jan. board. I know this from experience.

Here's another thing that you could do in theory: While you should submit the best application you can, you might want to have an LOR up your backsleeve/some other volunteering hours. That significantly changes an application as well. You might look into (I have no idea...Lucy might) what constitutes a change.

Good luck.

Yeah I saw the "if application has significantely changed" part of the six month period. I'm trusting my OR on what he is saying, but what you're saying is if my application changes between each board enough you can go for both January and April if need be....I'm 22 turning 23 in March. I'd like to get in without even getting close to the age limits...

My degree will be completely finished in December also, but the finalized college paperwork is out in middle of January. So it might be better if I go for April. If I had my way I'd get in both boards if I had to though. Airwarriors is turning into my new facebook, except you actually get some worthwile info on here.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
^^ If you are going to be conducting decent amounts of flight training that is also considered grounds for early resubmission. I signed up for an instrument ground school and obtained a certificate showing part 141 enrollment, as well as gave the board copies of logbook entries to show accumulation of flight hours. You'll also have to write a letter explaining why you think you should be eligible to resubmit early. Be tactful, but make yourself look good and show them you have something valuable to offer. Unfortunately I was still a non-select... so I'm re-taking my ASTB next month and submitting on the rumored january board. Hold your breathe and wait ;) good luck.

marmoset54

I agree. Not to shoot marmoset down but it seems like every post from him is negative to some degree. I'm not sure if you feel better than everyone because you are a final select, but in all honesty you should be out to give constructive criticism like any Naval Officer would do. Criticism and suggestions are great but they will not serve the intended purpose if they are percieved to be malicious.

AT3, I'm not going to get into an argument with you on this forum. The advice I have given is advice I wish someone had told me instead of the agonizing examination of my application. I was denied in September 2010, immediately began improving my application and submitted in November. Between my submission and news of my denial, I volunteered and made connections in the very real case I would be denied. Not only a resubmission, but maneuvering around a waiver as well. It's tough, but can be done. I went through hell and back to get this approved.

Okie3

^^ If you are going to be conducting decent amounts of flight training that is also considered grounds for early resubmission. I signed up for an instrument ground school and obtained a certificate showing part 141 enrollment, as well as gave the board copies of logbook entries to show accumulation of flight hours. You'll also have to write a letter explaining why you think you should be eligible to resubmit early. Be tactful, but make yourself look good and show them you have something valuable to offer. Unfortunately I was still a non-select... so I'm re-taking my ASTB next month and submitting on the rumored january board. Hold your breathe and wait ;) good luck.

The logbook copies are a good idea, and I finished my PPL book work and past the knowledge tests recently. Might try to get my CFI to make me up a certificate saying I've completed the knowledge part. I'm needing to look into getting my medical certificate done soon too just for PPL. Might add that in. It will be a third class probably just for now for my PPL to solo eventually, but it is something extra to add in.

CBR11

Seems like there are a bunch of people here from the Chicago NRD... I'm also trying to get an interview with the Great Lakes CO.

Applying for SNA
23/M/Civilian

8/8/8 61
BS in Neurobiology from an Ivy League school
(GPA was 3.0-ish)
Currently getting my MS in applied statistics

Varsity track and cross country in HS
I can speak a little Urdu and have a pretty vast knowledge of the Middle East and South Asia, which I 'm told is a plus
Bunch of assorted clubs/organizations/minor leadership positions
ER volunteer, Tutor
LORs from professors and hopefully Senator Kirk (IL)