• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

February 2012 SNA OCS Board

JEP

I know I could post this in another thread as well but just curious...... Everyone talks about getting flight hours but I won't be able to get any hours in by submission. I will be able to start ground school though. Will this have any value in my package?
To be honest what you learn in any ground school you can learn yourself. Ground schools are really just a way for flight schools and instructors to make more money and help you better understand where you are at before flying and after flight lessons in aircraft. It does help but does no good just to take ground school lessons if you aren't flying. Don't go waste your money on ground school lessons if you aren't planning on logging hours, or working towards a rating.

Sonog

pilot
He's right about this. You can learn a ton in 5 hours of flight time. Granted that's $600, but it could be the best money you ever spend if it gets you in. Furthermore, there have been people who step in an airplane and the moment it leaves the ground, they freak out. Others get up there for the first time and just plain don't like it. I recommend picking up a Jeppesen Private Pilot book online, reading through it, and taking a couple of flight lessons. That should help a lot.

Yea remember your first time driving and merging onto a busy highway for the first time? It's like that x1000 and you're flying through the air. Definitely not for everyone.

The best is landing your first solo, "oh shit, I'm about to land an airplane..." I thought it was awesome.

AT3Macklin

Commissioned 17 AUG 2012
Thanks guys! I know I studied a bunch a few years ago before taking the ASTB but since then I have worked as a tron and am intimately familiar with navigation systems (VOR, TACAN, ARN-151, CNS/ATM and blah blah blah). Most of it probably won't help with a PPL but certainly VOR/ILS would. I guess I'll just get with the flying club and see what they require before I start flying! Thanks again guys!

Sonog

pilot
Some ground is straight up required. It's been something like 2 hours of ground for every 10 hours of flight for the school that I'm learning at.

Back to thread: Proposed board dates for SNA/SNFO/SWO at the end of January and April. My bet is only one of those will happen.

AT3Macklin

Commissioned 17 AUG 2012
I bet you are probably right unfortunately. At least if recent boards are any indication! However I don't think this will really hold any bearing on how many are selected and when OCS dates will be. It just might increase the wait time to find out......Still sucks though

Okie3

OCS NAMI CASUALTY=INTEL..I'll take it.
Figured I'd get in on this thread, because this one will probably be as long as the August 2011 one come January or Febuary. I'm a non-select from August.
Was hoping I'd get lucky and get selected on my first try, but it didn't happen. I'm still determined though. Hoping the fact that I will have my degree done and in hand for the next board will help my chances. Saw some of you guys talking about ground school and stuff. I recently got all the ground work and knowledge test done for my PPL and have 7.5 hours. My major is in physical education so I need any kind of aviation background I can get. I'm hoping they see my coaching degree as a leadership quality and not a big black mark.

I've had to watch t-6 trainers from Vance AFB (some navy up there i think too) fly over everyday while i'm student teaching/coaching at the school this semester, and for the past 1 year or more had to watch them fly low and fast over the ranch where I live. IT'S TORTURE haha

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Figured I'd get in on this thread, because this one will probably be as long as the August 2011 one come January or Febuary. I'm a non-select from August.
Was hoping I'd get lucky and get selected on my first try, but it didn't happen. I'm still determined though. Hoping the fact that I will have my degree done and in hand for the next board will help my chances. Saw some of you guys talking about ground school and stuff. I recently got all the ground work and knowledge test done for my PPL and have 7.5 hours. My major is in physical education so I need any kind of aviation background I can get. I'm hoping they see my coaching degree as a leadership quality and not a big black mark.

I've had to watch t-6 trainers from Vance AFB (some navy up there i think too) fly over everyday while i'm student teaching/coaching at the school this semester, and for the past 1 year or more had to watch them fly low and fast over the ranch where I live. IT'S TORTURE haha
Post your stats.

Okie3

Post your stats.

22 M 5'9" 140 lbs.
Physical Education major graduate in Dec.
3.87 gpa
graduating from East Central University...in OK (no loans, and it was cheaper)
played basketball freshman year of college at Oklahoma Christian Univ.
transferred to Univ. Central OK sophomore year, but was still Program manager for basketball sophomore year at OC
LOR- from coaches in HS and College. College coach has all time win record for college coaches in OK if that matters. Both are great coaches in Oklahoma.
Honor rolls throughout college
Transferred colleges a few times for financial reasons, don't know if it hurts or helps my causes. Kept good grades and kept on great terms with people at the 3 schools.

Assistant Basketball Coach at my old high school during junior/senior years college.

7.5 hours on my PPL. Got the book and test part of it done. That stuff hurts the wallet haha. $$$
Work on horse breeding ranch for my dad during college and since I was a little kid. Talked about long irregular hours on motivational statement with that. Mentioned how I've had to be in charge when my dad or other people are gone looking after 100-150 horses. Starting colts in my spare time now for extra cash for flying hours actually. You're on somebody's horse that could have cost them 5,000-250,000 to buy as a colt. The horse could grow into a stud that cost about 6 million someday if they're lucky. Compared that to flying for Uncle Sam as far as being a responsible person.

ASTB- 5 6 5 50.... probably didn't help me much.

T

Triangles

Hey peep's. Don't know why you think there is going to be a board in Feb 12'. Last time I checked there is no board scheduled.

I see that you guys post comments on here about flying jets... That's cool and all, but the fact is... The Navy isn't looking for the next top gun. They aren't looking for jet pilots. Take a few minutes to think about what I just said, and if this confuses you... maybe you should message me for the answer. Maybe there is a reason you haven't been selected if you have already tried. Also, if you have a degree in Criminology.. Last time I checked.. The Navy is looking for someone to operate a multimillion dollar aircraft with a degree in criminology. I personally don't know anyone with that degree serving as a pilot.. Maybe a SWO, or Supply Officer.. What math or physics skills does a person in Criminology or physical education have?? Not here to be negative ladies and gentleman, just being honest with you so that you can be honest with yourselves.

I am prior enlisted, I have been selected SNA, and I don't have jet posters hanging up in my room... I fly a Pitts S-2 out at the airfield.

T

Triangles

22 M 5'9" 140 lbs.
Physical Education major graduate in Dec.
3.87 gpa
graduating from East Central University...in OK (no loans, and it was cheaper)
played basketball freshman year of college at Oklahoma Christian Univ.
transferred to Univ. Central OK sophomore year, but was still Program manager for basketball sophomore year at OC
LOR- from coaches in HS and College. College coach has all time win record for college coaches in OK if that matters. Both are great coaches in Oklahoma.
Honor rolls throughout college
Transferred colleges a few times for financial reasons, don't know if it hurts or helps my causes. Kept good grades and kept on great terms with people at the 3 schools.

Assistant Basketball Coach at my old high school during junior/senior years college.

7.5 hours on my PPL. Got the book and test part of it done. That stuff hurts the wallet haha. $$$

____Friendly Advice.. Go back to college and minor in something hard.. math, physics, or engineering. Get B's or higher in all those courses, and get that license. 4.0 GPA in physical education doesn't hold its weight against a 3.0 in Engineering/Physics/Math.. I got selected with a 3.4 GPA and 54 OAR.. Don't worry about loans, take them!! You can pay them off later.________

egd33

pilot
Contributor
Hey peep's. Don't know why you think there is going to be a board in Feb 12'. Last time I checked there is no board scheduled.

I see that you guys post comments on here about flying jets... That's cool and all, but the fact is... The Navy isn't looking for the next top gun. They aren't looking for jet pilots. Take a few minutes to think about what I just said, and if this confuses you... maybe you should message me for the answer. Maybe there is a reason you haven't been selected if you have already tried. Also, if you have a degree in Criminology.. Last time I checked.. The Navy is looking for someone to operate a multimillion dollar aircraft with a degree in criminology. I personally don't know anyone with that degree serving as a pilot.. Maybe a SWO, or Supply Officer.. What math or physics skills does a person in Criminology or physical education have?? Not here to be negative ladies and gentleman, just being honest with you so that you can be honest with yourselves.

I am prior enlisted, I have been selected SNA, and I don't have jet posters hanging up in my room... I fly a Pitts S-2 out at the airfield.

http://nyusn.blogspot.com ---> Their is a board scheduled in January and another in April.

You say you are not here to be negative, but basically everything you just said came across as both negative and condescending. I do not know what value a degree in criminology or PE have, but with the amount of people having those degrees that I have seen post their stats on here, I am sure some have been selected at some point or another. What I do know is that a ton of people get selected with non technical majors (myself included, though not exactly criminology) and do just fine in flight school. The school/major/GPA is just one aspect of the application and can certainly help or hurt ones chances, but that alone cannot get somebody selected.

TheBirdy

pilot

There are plenty of applicants that have been picked up with non technical degrees. But, going off what you said, you're basically stating that a SWO that operates a MULTI-BILLION dollar piece of equipment is allowed to have a criminology degree, but a pilot is not? Are you stating that being a SWO or SuppO doesn't require the skill level of a SNA? I am sorry, but that is a dumb statement on you part. The Navy accepts people on their credentials and then molds them into whatever they need be, whether they have a degree in mechanical engineering or underwater basket weaving.

You're contributing to the statement under your avatar.

mjv305

ENS SNA
http://nyusn.blogspot.com ---> Their is a board scheduled in January and another in April

great news may just await me on the horizon.. Quick question to the senior members of this forum. I have messaged/emailed 2 congresswomen of florida, the mayor of my city and both senators of Florida and i never ever get a response. Am i missing something?

Okie3

Looks like I started something by saying I have a PE degree haha. Yeah its non-technical, but I plan on letting THE NAVY teach me the skills that I need to fly "jets, helo, heavies" whatever I get. I've got the background on being able to dedicate myself to something otherwise tell me how a 5'9" 140 lbs white boy gets to play a little college basketball. I know how to acquire skills I just need the navy to show me what skills I need to acquire. Basically I just need to get my foot in the door like other non-technical major people.

Yeah if somebody ask me what's your first choice of what you want to fly I'd probably say JETS like everybody else, but the truth is I'll take what they think I'll be best at. Its kind of like being a team player on a basketball team. Might be the star in high school. Might be the last guy off the bench in college. You still work toward your goals.

On the upside might be looking into getting a job as a mechanic apprentice/lineboy in the mean time until the next board. Maybe I can learn some hands on technical stuff then. One of the kid's I coached this year his dad was an f-14 mechanic when he was active duty. He told me there are all types who are pilots.

Lucy

Okie(and any other newbies)- Ignore the post above. While yes, not everyone can fly jets, comments like his do nothing to help anyone other than the poster feel better about themself.

And hey, I'd want helos if I could fly.

Triangles- You have been on here long enough to know that tone and attitude will only cause trouble. If you are going to contribute, do so with some level of professionalism instead of giving other priors a bad rap.

Mjv- Not sure why you didn't get a response, but just as a fyi, letters from congressmen and the like that do not know you personally are rarely worth more then the paper they are on. In fact, the manual specifically discourages them for OCS apps. It's not like the academy where each senator gets so many spots to give out. LORs from people who know you and your skills will go a lot further. If you are going to make connections get in touch with people in your desginator. They will count for more, and those connections will help you in the long run. :)