• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Favorite run/pullup workouts

Ground&Pound

I was just wondering if anyone out there would like to share their workouts. If you have something that works for you maybe you can share it! I’ve been using the 5k run split from runner’s world that includes distance and intervals. The pull-up workout I’ve been using is pyramids and weighted pull-ups. As soon as I can get it typed I’ll put it up because it has really worked well for me. I'm curious as to what everyone else is doing in preparation for OCC 196 especially. The more detailed the better!!!:icon_smil

snake020

Contributor
Do a search on the forums for "Armstrong Workout". A number of people here including myself have had great success with it.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Ground and Pound,

Is your username referring to hamburger meat, some FemDom thing, or is that supposed to be like, "Turn and Burn" for Grunts?

Cheers,

Eddie

Ground&Pound

Ground&Pound refers to Mixed Martial Arts when one fighter takes the other to the ground, stands in his "guard" and pounds away at him. I train in MMA (Jiu-jitsu, Muay Thai, Wrestling etc.) and i'm going ground (Infantry I hope) so I thought it was fitting.

badger16

None
For a change up with pull ups I like to wrap towels around the bar where I grip it. Opens up the grip and works real nice at kicking the sh*t out of you.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Ground&Pound refers to Mixed Martial Arts when one fighter takes the other to the ground, stands in his "guard" and pounds away at him. I train in MMA (Jiu-jitsu, Muay Thai, Wrestling etc.) and i'm going ground (Infantry I hope) so I thought it was fitting.

Sweet! Learn something every day here!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
For a change up with pull ups I like to wrap towels around the bar where I grip it. Opens up the grip and works real nice at kicking the sh*t out of you.

Or, just drape two towels over the bar about shoulder width apart. Grab the hanging ends of each towel and pull yourself up by them. It's pretty damn tough.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I was just wondering if anyone out there would like to share their workouts.

Once I got to 20 I stopped doing them as much and focused on the weight room more but usually do a couple sets, just to make sure I'm still there if not better, if I'm not working my upper body out that day.

I'm 6'3 with pretty long arms so it was hard for me to get to 20, but what I did was sets of 7 with a set of 10 20lb hammer curls inbetween. Then when I couldn't do any more sets of 7 I would bridge up from a set of 1, then 2, then 3, etc etc until I maxed out then work it back down. Then I would just do some weighted pullups just for fun. By the time I got to 20 I was doing around 14 sets of 7

Doing it with a partner helps alot, and you wont feel as dumb as I did sometimes just doing pullups in the weightroom hahahaha

badger16

None
Or, just drape two towels over the bar about shoulder width apart. Grab the hanging ends of each towel and pull yourself up by them. It's pretty damn tough.

Actually you can do one towel and do uneven pull ups. Start more towards the top of the towel and work your way down as you get stronger with it. This helps towards being able to one handed pull ups.

Lawman

None
Ive always been a fan of using pullups like a stretching excercise at the start of a workout session.

I do my weight training 4 days a week resting on weekends and Wednesday. I find that doing 30 pullups split into 3 sets of 14, 8, 6 really helps me stay in the 20+ club. But then again I also weigh nothing so its not hard for me to get good at pullups fast and even if I take a long break from doing them I dont go down too bad. Big thing is to alternate the form based on the target muscle group of the day. When Im doing chest or shoulders I do them palms away from me to work the back. When its Arm day its all palms in to help kill my biceps. Other thing I like to do is keep my grip where my inner most part of my hands is just outside the shoulders when I do them palms in, mostly because I find it uses more of the arm (same as with a curl bar) and allows me to do more without tiring out the biceps and running out of steam.

Rasczak

Marine
Armstrong work really nice, with a pyramid thrown in at the end. I've switched over to doing the workouts and www.crossfit.com. You'll find yourself doing a lot of pullups. Since I started crossfit, my numbers have gone up quite a bit. I'm at 16 right now. I started off this year not being able to do even one... I'm aslo a very heavy guy. I'm almost 200lbs.

Ground&Pound

I'm 6'1 239lbs. on a good day and have been able to get 21 pullups in front of my OSO before. For some reason i'm always scared i'm going to lose them so I work really hard. It was a lot of work to get there. I like the towel idea...do you think that it would help with the rope climb too? Also for any of you guys out there that have been to OCS....is having a hundred crunches really enough to prepare you for whatever workout involing abs the DIs put you through?

Lawman

None
I'm 6'1 239lbs. on a good day and have been able to get 21 pullups in front of my OSO before. For some reason i'm always scared i'm going to lose them so I work really hard. It was a lot of work to get there. I like the towel idea...do you think that it would help with the rope climb too? Also for any of you guys out there that have been to OCS....is having a hundred crunches really enough to prepare you for whatever workout involing abs the DIs put you through?

Having a max on crunches isnt going to help or hurt you with the ab routine you do at OCS. Problem is they set it up so you do 3 sets for time and depending on what week it is you'll actually do a good 4-5 minutes when you add it all together. The problem is while your holding the other guys legs and doing your set your muscles arent getting a chance to rest they are actually stiffining up and so while you may have done 100+ on the first 2 minute set you'll drop down for the 1:30 set and feel like crap after 25-30. Really its not about a number its about effort, if they see you cheese dicking it or using a cheat form they will stay there and chew on you for a while. Mostly they arent worried about your number they just want to see you not stop for the workout. Also keep in mind this workout is usually (unless your the last group to run) staged after whatever other PT events so you could have just done Fartlek which inolves a good bit of abs and pullups, then done UBD's which involves Abs and pullups and now your doing Push/pull and abs to finish out PT before you finally get into the cool down circle. Its all a smoke check dont let anybody tell you otherwise.