• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Favorite Foreign Visits

FlyinRock

What was yours? Mine included the Japanese Alps of Seizan for skiing, Mindanao for scuba with crocs, Ecuador for treasure hunting on the coast and in the Andes, Egypt and the pyramids and Luxor, Al Alamein and its history from WW2, Rhodesia for the gracious people and fantastic hunting, Mozambique for its people and the huge prawns on the coast, South Africa for its people and diversity of attractions. Just some of the places and things ....
Semper Fi
Rocky

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What was yours?
Rocky
My most memorable includes Rio De Janeiro for it' s beautiful harbor, beaches, music, nightlife & Senoritas; Valparaiso/Santiago, Chile (same as Rio) plus great beef dishes & domestic wines. Also easy access to 'world class' Ski Resort at Portillo on Mt. Aconcogua (22,835), highest peak in the southern hemisphere.:)

Unfortunately for Airdales, CVNs usually don't get to hit these ports, except for 'Round-The-Horn transits for home port changes... or the occasional 'Round-The-World cruise (rare since 9/11).
BzB

phrogpilot73

First time I went to this wonderful island, it was for a military event. I've since been on my own, and loved it even more. We're going back for another military event later this year. What island is it? And what military event?

Ireland.

I first went for the Navy-Notre Dame game as a midshipman in '96, and they're playing again in Dublin this year. We've already booked our trip. I can't wait. If you've never been to the Emerald Isle, I will say: 1. You're missing out. 2. You will be a Guinness addict by the time you leave.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'm partial to Sicily right now. Good food, lots of history and sight seeing, nice people and a good night life.

Been there a few times, and I'd love to go back. Optimal place to stay is Catania, as there are alot of good hotels, its easy to get to the rest of the island, and it seems to be the center of Sicilian night life. As I have on the boards already, I'll always suggest taking the hike up the hill to Taormina's shopping area, hanging out in Sircusa and exploring Catania, which also had a very good shopping and restaraunt district. Hiking Mt. Etna is a good adventure, as long as its not erupting.

And it's pretty easy to get addicted to Guiness in Catania as well... just saying.

CAMike

None
Contributor
If you ever want to treat your "significant other" and go somewhere low key and romantic try the hike to the peak of Dominica (island). You can stay and the tiny little hotel near the top as well. Near the peak of the island are two side by side natural springs. One is a 110 degree geothermal spring and the other about 20 feet away is a cool rain/run off spring. Bring a picnic basket and just hang out there as long as you like. It's fairly remote with a couple mile hike up to it. If you're into a little solitude.

phrogpilot73

And it's pretty easy to get addicted to Guiness in Catania as well... just saying.
I've consumed Guinness in England, Ireland, Wales, UAE, the US, Crete, Malta, Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, and Cyprus.

It's better in Ireland.

For what it's worth, I never liked stout before I went to Ireland.

FlyinRock

My most memorable includes Rio De Janeiro for it' s beautiful harbor, beaches, music, nightlife & Senoritas; Valparaiso/Santiago, Chile (same as Rio) plus great beef dishes & domestic wines. Also easy access to 'world class' Ski Resort at Portillo on Mt. Aconcogua (22,835), highest peak in the southern hemisphere.:)

Unfortunately for Airdales, CVNs usually don't get to hit these ports, except for 'Round-The-Horn transits for home port changes... or the occasional 'Round-The-World cruise (rare since 9/11).
BzB
I got to spend a couple of weeks in Rio staying near Ipanema. The thing that struck me was how sexy the women dressed, looked and walked! Wasn't that way in other parts of the country and perhaps it was just near the "touristy" areas near the beach. Was also the first time I had seen volleyball played like soccer and no one used their hands. Was hard to concentrate on the skills when the women players were wearing string bikinis..! This was on Ipanema

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
There are many beautiful places in the world, and I've been fortunate to visit many of them in the Navy & int'l banking. The top 2: Rio de Janeiro & Hong Kong for pure physical, knocked-out beauty. JMHO.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The top 2: Rio de Janeiro & Hong Kong for pure physical, knocked-out beauty. JMHO.

Concur with above, I'd have to add Sydney & Perth, Australia to the list. Didn't manage to get there 'til 5 years after USN retirement. Lived on world class surfing beach at Bondi (Sydney suburb). Beautiful beaches, "Sheilas", harbor; great food, beer/wine & sports. Unsurpassed public transportation...can tour the whole continent on a relatively cheap 30-day railway pass. Spent 3 days each in Perth, Kalgoorlie, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane & Cairns, on a 30 day trip. Fine opals @ great prices. One of the few countries that actually like 'Yanks' genuinely, rather than just for the greenbacks!
BzB

Reactions: Fog

brownshoe

Contributor
I got to spend a couple of weeks in Rio staying near Ipanema. The thing that struck me was how sexy the women dressed, looked and walked! Wasn't that way in other parts of the country and perhaps it was just near the "touristy" areas near the beach. Was also the first time I had seen volleyball played like soccer and no one used their hands. Was hard to concentrate on the skills when the women players were wearing string bikinis..! This was on Ipanema

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think the only person in the world that I would trade jobs with is Anthony Bourdain.......traveling all over the world, eating every kind of food imagineable, and drinking my face off in the process.....now if only they let him fly himself, then it would be perfect

phrogpilot73

Because I visited it during one of the most painful deployments I've ever had. Then followed it up with another very painful deployment.

I want to go back to the provence region of France, and also UAE. UAE would be WAY too much time with my knees in my chest because I don't think that paying for 1st Class is worth it...