• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Far Different than I expected

JohnH

A little about me first as this is my first post. I am an Army Intelligence Analyst, NCO, and college graduate.
I am looking to better myself and advance my career by becoming an officer. I would have chosen to stay in the Army, but they like to impose ridiculous restrictions like age limits of 28. Here I am now, applying to commission in the Navy, either in Information Warfare or in Intelligence.

I took the OAR portion of the ASTB Monday morning. I was immediately caught off guard by the difference in the test and all the preparation I had put in. My study material of choice was the Petersons Commissioning Study guide along with OASC (the DOD program for those who wish to raise aptitude test scores.)
I was caught off guard by how hard the Reading comprehension section was. I pride myself of being well read and the fact that I have always scored near perfect on these portions of the test previously. I am not so confident that I did well there.
The math section was 40 minutes long, though it cut out far sooner in my case. (I am unsure if that was good or bad).
The Mechanical Comprehension portion was almost exactly what I expected and I feel I did ok.

Over all my score on the OAR was a 46. NOT what I was hoping for, but enough to start the application process.
I plan on retaking in 90 days (that was also a change from the information I had received). Is there a better study guide out there that I can set up a study plan for the next 3 months for? How can I better study to improve my score?

exNavyOffRec

use the search to find info on study guides, but that being said while the OAR plays a part what carries more weight is degree, GPA, LOR's, and some other items depending on the community.

JohnH

use the search to find info on study guides, but that being said while the OAR plays a part what carries more weight is degree, GPA, LOR's, and some other items depending on the community.

I am also trying to overcome a very... soft degree program with a 3.02 GPA. I have a degree in Christian Ministry and am trying to commission in Information Warfare or Intelligence. I can spin the Christian ministry as offering me a unique perspective on middle east cultures and history and the stemming instability for this purpose as well as the numerous leadership classes I received. But over all not a very technical program. I also have 5+ years of Intelligence experience in the Army. As well as s far 2 STRONG references.

I think it will be an uphill battle for me to be selected, but I am ready for it.

exNavyOffRec

I am also trying to overcome a very... soft degree program with a 3.02 GPA. I have a degree in Christian Ministry and am trying to commission in Information Warfare or Intelligence. I can spin the Christian ministry as offering me a unique perspective on middle east cultures and history and the stemming instability for this purpose as well as the numerous leadership classes I received. But over all not a very technical program. I also have 5+ years of Intelligence experience in the Army. As well as s far 2 STRONG references.

I think it will be an uphill battle for me to be selected, but I am ready for it.

your degree and GPA is going to be the biggest downfall and the OAR won't really overcome that, the degree is non tech and those are preferred given how tech everything is going, GPA is low, I don't remember seeing anyone get picked with a GPA that close to 3.0 most of the time they are mid to high 3's

depending on how old you are and when your birthday is you may want to look at other designators as well.

JohnH

your degree and GPA is going to be the biggest downfall and the OAR won't really overcome that, the degree is non tech and those are preferred given how tech everything is going, GPA is low, I don't remember seeing anyone get picked with a GPA that close to 3.0 most of the time they are mid to high 3's

depending on how old you are and when your birthday is you may want to look at other designators as well.

I'm getting a little old unfortunately. I'm 30. About to be 31 in about 10 days.

exNavyOffRec

Worst they can say is "no."

True, just have reasonable expectations, IDC has a very low selection rate, the ideal person is a person with a tech degree, high GPA, community service, etc.....

Too many recruiters go "you have a great shot" well does anyone have a "great shot" with a ten percent selection rate?