• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Family Disapproval - what do I do?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Why?

Brett

Ok, ok, so "convict" is a bit of a stretch. Point taken.

On a serious note to the OP, I agree with most everyone's advice here, but I think A4s put it best. Don't unnecessarily burn bridges with your dad, but don't let his disapproval stop you from doing what you want to do.

flyeagle111

I know I will probably regret telling him off, but I get closer and closer everyday of saying something to him because he's a shitty father and never supports me on anything.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I know I will probably regret telling him off, but I get closer and closer everyday of saying something to him because he's a shitty father and never supports me on anything.

Seriously, do NOT tell him off. I stand by what I said before about your dad just being worried about your well-being, and A4s gave excellent advice on how to handle the situation.

You can handle this one of two ways: 1) be mature and attempt to be understanding about it, even though it's difficult or 2) succumb to your feelings and handle it like a child.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot

Dude that won't get you anywhere..just take the high road, when you're older you'll realize you did the best thing. He's your dad, anything you do to "tell him off" won't go well for you at all.

Some day down the line you're going to appreciate him even if it's as a reminder of how you DON'T want to be when you become a father one day. Just focus on keeping your grades up, get/stay involved in sports or extra curriculars and keep your eyes on the prize..a commission in the United States Navy.

If anything, stay busy ..where your time at home is minimal anyway, then you don't have to deal with him. Get a gym membership, go study at the library. Something.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Take the high ground, do not do something you will regret later. People can be taken away from you at any moment. Don't say something you'll regret later.

Stick to your guns, prove you're right, but do it in a manner that reflects what you aspire to become.

Raptor2216

Its a sad fact that you just can't change some people, no matter what you do. Luckily for you though, It sounds as if you aren't dissuaded by your father false convictions about the military so I'm sure you'll achieve your goals. I would say that its probably better to just let this one slide and go on with your life. The silent treatment is the harshest when it comes to people such as your father.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
The best thing you can say to your father is a hearty goodbye as you head off to pursue your own dreams. The best way to tell him off is to achieve them.

exhelodrvr

pilot
flyeagle,

You haven't mentioned how your mother feels about this. Is she supportive of your ROTC goal?

brownshoe

Contributor
Take the high ground, do not do something you will regret later. People can be taken away from you at any moment. Don't say something you'll regret later.

Stick to your guns, prove you're right, but do it in a manner that reflects what you aspire to become.

Young man, heed this advice, as well as the other sound advice given to you on this matter here at this site. I refused to attend my father’s funeral and he was buried at Arlington. I’m ashamed to say that I was in the Navy at the time, asked to participate in the ceremony, and wouldn’t. I’m 61 now my young friend, and I regret, on almost a daily basis, that decision I made as a young man years ago. He’s your father and deserves your respect, even though you two disagree on you wanting to join the Navy.

But as others have said, it’s your life you’re a man now. If being a Navy man, and an aviator is what you want, do it! But ask your father for his blessings in your endeavourers.

Steve

TailDraggar

Ehh. I know it's good to vent, but I wouldn't go there. If you do want to talk to him about your differences, there is nothing wrong with that, just be the mature one. At this point in your life you don't need a single person, other then yourself, to make YOUR dreams come true.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Young man, heed this advice, as well as the other sound advice given to you on this matter here at this site. I refused to attend my father’s funeral and he was buried at Arlington. I’m ashamed to say that I was in the Navy at the time, asked to participate in the ceremony, and wouldn’t. I’m 61 now my young friend, and I regret, on almost a daily basis, that decision I made as a young man years ago. He’s your father and deserves your respect, even though you two disagree on you wanting to join the Navy.

But as others have said, it’s your life you’re a man now. If being a Navy man, and an aviator is what you want, do it! But ask your father for his blessings in your endeavourers.

Steve

Sage advice above. Always respect your father's point of view. In today's words...old school dudes respect you when you respect them. There will be many times in your life/career where you will agree to disagree even when it hurts you to do so. Some of those people will become your friends. Hopefully, once your father sees you are happy, he will come around. Do not distance yourself. Keep him up-to-date and always take the high road. You'll be better for it in the end.

FWIW, I had to deal with a similar situation in 1987/88.

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
I'll just be among ex-convicts

If it helps, I was never convicted

WILLING.JPG