• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fallen Angels - Admin Seps for all?

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Is that on the pilot side your talking about? In my experience from the FO side, Non one cares.
I wasn't saying that every IP I flew with or heard of was awesome, but their goal was to make you better and to get you through rather then fail you. But, yes, that is from the pilot side. I thought that to be common since that is the first I have heard differently regarding the NFO side of the fence, but like I said, I wouldn't know first hand.

Jeff29

Science Project
Whenever I hear of a situation like that though, it begs the question, what are they doing to their JOs that makes retention so difficult?
Not paying them $100K+ a year :)

Actually, I don't think their retention numbers are down. I think it's a matter of not recruiting enough CE's 4-5 years ago to keep up with the current demand that the Navy is placing on the CEC and the Seabees. I may be wrong, but this has been my impression.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
What about for people who DOR (did OCS) while in A-pool? Can they walk without any strings attached?

As of right now, if you want out, they'll help you do so. Whether you get out altogether or do the SELRES/IRR thing is up to the redes board. But Academy/ROTC types have been walking out no problem lately.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
As of right now, if you want out, they'll help you do so. Whether you get out altogether or do the SELRES/IRR thing is up to the redes board. But Academy/ROTC types have been walking out no problem lately.

I heard the Skipper at NASC came into a muster one morning a couple months ago and basically offered anyone who wanted out a free discharge...any truth to that one? It sounded a little bit outlandish...

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
I heard the Skipper at NASC came into a muster one morning a couple months ago and basically offered anyone who wanted out a free discharge...any truth to that one? It sounded a little bit outlandish...

Yup, it happened. If you're YG09/YG10 and want out of the Navy, they can probably make it happen.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
It looks as if you are possibly interested in lat transferring then you can throw your name in the hat without DORing.

Good if you want to lat transfer, bad if you want to stay active. It's the exact same board I went to.

The other problem is they are moving people into these communities and sending them reserves without the active time to complete the PQS for their designator. At the stash job I have now I have been told good luck trying to get the required PQS for IWO done, even with the extra time they give reservists.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
The Skipper had a meeting about this today. Basically there are a limited number of "slam dunk" transition spots open to SWO/IW/Intel/IP/OceanO/CEC/AMDO/MSC. If you meet the qualifiers, you are pretty much in. No board per-say. If you attrite from API/Primary, you are still going to the old redes board. They shared the outcomes of the last few, and they weren't pretty. Most people got sent home (sorry to hear about your situation H20Man). So sticking it out to fail API and then hoping to catch onto this program isn't really an option. You gotta volunteer before June 1. Now is quite a shitty time to be in A-Pool/API.

Spoonman

Your odds of successfully completing API if you DOR = 0 %. You'd have to pry me out of API with a crowbar. Work your butts off, study hard, and go down swinging. "Don't give up the ship", or the dream!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy Freeing up Aviation Training Pipeline

Straight from Big Navy:

By Wm. Cullen James, Navy Personnel Command Public Affairs

MILLINGTON, Tenn. (NNS) -- In an effort to reduce and stabilize the current wait time for training, the Navy is seeking to decrease the number of officers in the Aviation Preflight Indoctrination (API) student pilot pre-load.

Reductions to aviation fleet requirements and recent material challenges with training aircraft have caused the student pilot population to exceed the optimal preload by approximately 200 personnel.

"Typically, time from commissioning to API start should be three months. The current delays have increased this time to six months," said Capt. Mike White, director, Aviation Officer Distribution.

To assist in reducing the number of students in the pipeline, Navy officials have planned to offer redesignation to qualified volunteers.

"Qualified volunteers from the existing API pool will be solicited through June," White said. "Community managers and detailers will be available to answer questions and make assessments of volunteers' qualifications and affinities toward alternative paths. Following an administrative review board, those selected will be removed from training status and administratively redesignated. If an individual is not accepted, for whatever reason, they will continue aviation training."

Navy officials are also planning to offer delays or deferments via internships, graduate education, and other temporary additional duty options, prior to moving to Pensacola, Fla.

"We have been pursuing internship opportunities through various agencies in the Washington, D.C. area for our U.S. Naval Academy graduates," White said. "In addition, several newly commissioned officers will go directly to Naval Postgraduate School to pursue a graduate degree while graduates from Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) units around the country will have the opportunity to work locally with their unit or perhaps in recruiting."

Beginning in December, some Navy ROTC graduates may be assigned to the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) until their API start date.

"The length of time spent in the IRR will be dependent on their API class start date," White said. "Nominally, this period will be about three to six months."

-ea6bflyr ;)

H20man

Drill baby drill!
The Skipper had a meeting about this today. Basically there are a limited number of "slam dunk" transition spots open to SWO/IW/Intel/IP/OceanO/CEC/AMDO/MSC. If you meet the qualifiers, you are pretty much in. No board per-say. If you attrite from API/Primary, you are still going to the old redes board. They shared the outcomes of the last few, and they weren't pretty. Most people got sent home (sorry to hear about your situation H20Man). So sticking it out to fail API and then hoping to catch onto this program isn't really an option. You gotta volunteer before June 1. Now is quite a shitty time to be in A-Pool/API.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Interesting, thanks for the info.

Makes sense... the people who moved on to primary are no longer part of NASC overage of bodies, and therefore are somebody else's problem. Seems like this program is designed to alleviate the backup in API.