• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fallen Angels - Admin Seps for all?

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
are they "administratively separating" everyone who DOR's or NPQ's now? before it was just OCS people at risk but ... ?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got the impression that it's all case by case. I have two friends that are academy grads that were NPQed, one's getting admin-sepd, the other (who was anthro'ed out of pilot) is being offered NFO if she wants it, and if not, is being encouraged to submit a package for her preferred community.

red_ryder

None
We were told that as of just a couple weeks ago they're only keeping ~15% of DOR's and NPQ's in the military.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Amazing what decisions the new FY brings. No more redneck parasail, if you suck you're out, whats next, the geedunk being run by civilians?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back in the 04-05 timeframe you had to have a 90 percent plus average to pass API as an SNA. It was a rolling average to consistently attrite the bottom X percent. Why? Increase the attrition rate for pilots because they let too many SNAs in the door. Message traffic said if they failed to get the requisite number in API, they would raise the minimum NSS in Primary. If it still didn't work, in Advanced.

That same timeframe (Early '04-mid '06), you were pretty much screwed if you attrited for any reason. They basically said "thanks for your service" and gave you a few months to find a job and separate. I knew a girl in API who went to Annapolis, got down to P-cola, and found out she was in fact anthroed out of everything. Bye bye. Shoulda put SWO down for selection, I guess.

It's all in the manning. If other communities are full, they have nowhere to stick you. And GENAV is a holding bin, not a career path.

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
And GENAV is a holding bin, not a career path.

I remember hearing about general aviation in A-pool, but never asked about it since they more or less scared everyone about it (maybe as motivation to study/work hard, or not just DOR). Anyone know what kinda work is actually involved?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember hearing about general aviation in A-pool, but never asked about it since they more or less scared everyone about it (maybe as motivation to study/work hard, or not just DOR). Anyone know what kinda work is actually involved?

As a genav, you get jobs like, CVN Fuels Officer. Measure, track & store all JP onboard. Plenty of other fun jobs avail too. Just do a search for shitty jobs on a carrier.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a genav, you get jobs like, CVN Fuels Officer. Measure, track & store all JP onboard. Plenty of other fun jobs avail too. Just do a search for shitty jobs on a carrier.

GENAV is "aviation jobs no aviator would touch with a ten-foot honey pot stick". Fuels officer and ATO are perennial favorites.

Believe me, you'd rather go flip burgers than suck up that hate. So study!

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Message traffic said if they failed to get the requisite number in API, they would raise the minimum NSS in Primary. If it still didn't work, in Advanced.
There's a minimum NSS? When I was going through flight school (same time frame) I didn't see one guy or gal attrited for low NSS, to include at least one 22.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
^^ I'll refer you to the SME:

You're misunderstanding the role and purpose of IA's. It's not simply to be a ppt jockey. Though that's what some folks wind up doing (eg, yours truly), it's usually because a staff is overstaffed, or the original purpose of your billet has eroded but the billet still exists, etc.

Very, very few IA reqs come down which say "hard-charging young 'un needed in Baghdad, skills not required". The whole point of IA's is that you have some skill which will contribute to the fight on the ground, even if it's just knowing how to speak Navy. You, as a raw, unrefined Enswine, do not even know that much yet (though you may think you do). I'm not talking "port" and "starboard," I mean really understanding how the Fleet does its business.

NIACT and other enroute training is theater-specific combat training, or how to adapt your particular skills to be useful in wherever you're going, and how to speak Army (just say, "hooah, Battle" a lot). It's not to train you from the ground up to do something new.
[/salty lecture]

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why aren't they sending DOR's and attrites on IA's? Seems like the perfect pool to draw from.

Case by case basis. I was on my IA with a flight attrite LTJG. He picked up SWO while he was in the sandbox and headed to his ship after the IA.

-ea6bflyr ;)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a minimum NSS? When I was going through flight school (same time frame) I didn't see one guy or gal attrited for low NSS, to include at least one 22.
At least on the jet side, 35 was the minimum without a waiver from the Commodore for Navy types or HQMC for Marines. I knew of one Marine who never failed a flight, qualled at the boat, but was attrited when it became a mathematical impossibility for him to raise his NSS to a 35+. Apparently the Marine Corps just about never gives that waiver.