• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fallen Angels - Admin Seps for all?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I have a buddy that I went to Junior High/High School with who graduated from the Academy in 04 and was an SNA. He got an 84 on his NAV test in API and they gave him the option of changing communities or running with his free education. He got out and got into real estate and did really well for himself down in San Diego.

Fast forward to now and he is eating ramen noodles and sleeping under a bridge. I hope for his sake that he got out of San Diego real estate at the right time. All my buds who own (and now are landlords) houses there are around $50K in the hole.

It is all based on the current needs of the Navy. If they have holes for the bodies, then they are retained. If not, they are let go. It wouldn't make sense to flood these communities with extra bodies who are not needed or desired. The education costs are sunk, the Navy is not getting them back, but payroll and benefits cost good taxpayer dollars that could be spent on something else. When I first got here, everyone was out of the Navy, it didn't matter what the commissioning source. Now, most are redesignating as long as they are recommended for it. People with OLQ issues or crappy attitudes are given walking papers.
As far as advanced attrites/DORs go, I don't know. Jet attrites used to be sent to other communities if they were attrited in later phases of training, I don't know if that is still the case. Everyone else was generally redesignated. I don't deal with that end of the pipeline, so I just don't know.

phrogpilot73

I know of a guy who tried to DOR AFTER getting winged.
It's doable and not unheard of. I know two guys that essentially DOR'd in the fleet. One realized he had reached the pinnacle of his ability, and that he'd never go above HAC. He's a PAO now. The other guy realized that he reached his pinnacle of ability a while back (he was only a 2P), and it was only a matter of time until he had a mishap/was FFPB'd. I think he's a Logistics Officer...

I respect both of them to this day, no matter what anyone else thinks.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I've known two people that have DOR'd after wings. One of them did so when he realized he didn't want to be a HAC (?) and is now a PAO in Europe. Not bad. The other had a breakdown after Advanced and DOR'd before her first flight (or even sim) in the RAG. It happens. What I have not seen or heard of yet is a FNAEB in HSC-2, which I find interesting from a law of averages perspective.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Fast forward to now and he is eating ramen noodles and sleeping under a bridge. I hope for his sake that he got out of San Diego real estate at the right time. All my buds who own (and now are landlords) houses there are around $50K in the hole.

Yes, you are exactly right. He was in real estate at a good time, but things went down hill quickly. He has since gotten out of real estate and moved back home to the Seattle area.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I have a buddy that was attrited from flight status while in the fleet as well....basically had a nervous breakdown after his parasite wife, (not THE Manatee) had taken him to the cleaners after being married for about 3 months and then his father passing away. I was very worried about him for a while... But he has really excelled at everything he's done since. He's done a couple tours on several boats and his enlisted guys love him. He was allowed to keep his wings.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a buddy that was attrited from flight status while in the fleet as well....basically had a nervous breakdown after his parasite wife, (not THE Manatee) had taken him to the cleaners after being married for about 3 months and then his father passing away. I was very worried about him for a while... But he has really excelled at everything he's done since. He's done a couple tours on several boats and his enlisted guys love him. He was allowed to keep his wings.

Something which needs to be emphasized is that the FNAEB instruction specifically says that pulling wings is apropos if you bring discredit upon the Naval Service or willfully violate rules and regulations. Not if you bust your ass and come up short.

I know from personal experience; I got a FNAEB with a B(1) decision and am on my way back to flight school on the NFO side. But I never lost the right to wear single anchor wings. It is more likely that you be removed from flight status than outright lose your wings, provided you're not an assclown or guilty of heinously bad judgement.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Well, a friend of mine, STA-21 type, dor'd during IFS. He realized that flying was not his cup of tea, just got the word that he is being separated. So, no one is immune at this point it seems.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Something you might want to look into is FTS. My roommate who just attrited was told that was her best chance to stay in.

Jeff29

Science Project
A few months back the CEC was throwing wads of cash at their JO's to get them to stay in beyond 4 years. If they are still in the same situation, it seems that anyone with the right degree would have a fairly good chance of a redes to 5100.

CEC is one of the best deals in the military.

BigRed389

None
A few months back the CEC was throwing wads of cash at their JO's to get them to stay in beyond 4 years. If they are still in the same situation, it seems that anyone with the right degree would have a fairly good chance of a redes to 5100.

CEC is one of the best deals in the military.

Whenever I hear of a situation like that though, it begs the question, what are they doing to their JOs that makes retention so difficult?

magnetfreezer

Whenever I hear of a situation like that though, it begs the question, what are they doing to their JOs that makes retention so difficult?

Probably money. Don't know about CEs but many of my electrical engineering classmates were being offered 60-70k out of school. CEC officers with a tour or 2 would be even more marketable since they already have proven leadership/project management experience.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
One of our Marine instructors at the Academy told us about that option, but I think it was only for people that wanted to lat transfer to the Marines and made it successfully through flight training, not people that attrited. Like you said, it was get winged first, then go to TBS. Any Marines know what the process is for blue to green once winged?

A good frend that used to be at ST-1 with me went half way through the HTs (as an ENS), got offered to go green, went through TBS then back to Kingsville(?) and is now flying AV-8s at Cherry Point. Might've been around 07 but his case was purely wanting to fly jets.

MR-

I've known two people that have DOR'd after wings. One of them did so when he realized he didn't want to be a HAC (?) and is now a PAO in Europe. Not bad. The other had a breakdown after Advanced and DOR'd before her first flight (or even sim) in the RAG. It happens. What I have not seen or heard of yet is a FNAEB in HSC-2, which I find interesting from a law of averages perspective.
Care to expand? I just finished at 2 and am curious about that statement.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
just my 2 cents

Why aren't they sending DOR's and attrites on IA's? Seems like the perfect pool to draw from.

^^ I'll refer you to the SME:

I personally wouldn't want to send an Ensign here on an IA, especially where I work... where there are so many birds colonels. You'll just end up being the coffee officer. Its bad enough being a LT here.

Except the Navy learned from it's mistake in the past and is now requiring people to pay their educations back.
"Your fired...you have no income...now give us back the $150,000"
As far as thats concerned BUPERS has some major planning issues if they cant adequately mange the community.

It's hard to attrite. Really hard. No one wants to see you fail and as long as you give 100% and listen to your instructors you should be ok. If not, you not being in an aircraft is probably a good thing for yourself as well as the Navy.
Is that on the pilot side your talking about? In my experience from the FO side, Non one cares.