• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Failure Rate at TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Force Admin

I have heard a lot of scuttlebutt about the attrition rate at TBS. How many people actually fail. Is it just because they are a total S***bird, or cause they didnt study. What is the most common reason for being dropped or failed?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
We didn't have any attrites from our company that I remember of. As a matter of fact I remember a guy who failed almost every written test and a few physical tests and he still graduated.

Each company will have their fair share of injury-induced drops and a few drops because of personal reasons (family member die, etc) and every now and then a legal drop.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
E5B said it... the great majority of drops are physical. I would expect 1-2 people per platoon to break their foot or tear an ACL and get recycled. Each company tends to have 1 or 2 legal drops (DUIs, drunken disorderly, etc). My company also had 3 or 4 leadership drops (integrity, just plain stupidity). At any rate, the vast majority of people graduate with the company they start with. When you show up, expect 1 or 2 people from your platoon to have to not graduate with that company.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
E5B said:
We didn't have any attrites from our company that I remember of. As a matter of fact I remember a guy who failed almost every written test and a few physical tests and he still graduated.

Each company will have their fair share of injury-induced drops and a few drops because of personal reasons (family member die, etc) and every now and then a legal drop.

Was it "Creature" by any means?

thepilot33

I am currently in C Company at TBS and will graduate 7 OCT 04. As of now, we have only lost one that I am aware of, maybe two and our company is somewhere around 240 2nd Lt’s. He was recycled for leadership ability in month 4.5 and will have to completely start over with a new company. On average the attrition rate is very low…one to two percent is the number used by SPC’s around here. TBS is easy, its leading your fellow 2nd LT’s that is the challenge; that and waiting for the word!

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
waiting for the word

That's got to be the single most difficult part of TBS. Student Company Staff runs around with their heads in their butts. Until it's your turn, then you run around with your own head in your butt.

airwinger

pilot
as squad leader I'd send the squad home, wait for the word then use a phone tree and the fire team leaders. As company gunny, as soon as the Staff gave me the word, I'd make the platoon sergeants release their platoons...THEN we'd run around like headless chickens

Raptor2216

So the student staff also has to fill the enlisted billets at TBS? Does that mean I might get stuck drilling the platoon from one spot to another as we did at OCS?

KBayDog

Drilling from one spot to another? No. Those days are over. If the platoon has to be at, say, the obstacle course at 0700, you just show up there at the course a little early for a "formation." At the most, you will form outside the BOQ and run to a PT event. There is no marching to/from classes, armory, etc.

Forming the platoon for PT, for hikes, and for liberty formations? Yes. Again, if the CO has a formation at 1100, you just show up - early, of course, for accountability. Unfortunately (I say that as a former staff sergeant), drill is a non-event at TBS, except for a little sword manual.

But then again, drill is not the domain of officers. (That is why we have motivated staff NCOs!)

Winger, our student company staff finally "got it." As soon as the libo flag is up, we pop smoke, then the company staff does their thing. (BTW, our libo flag is awesome - it is a USMC standard, with guidon letters that say "Company: Go the Hell Home!")

Clux4

Banned
KBayDog said:
But then again, drill is not the domain of officers. (That is why we have motivated staff NCOs!)

Officers have no snap and pop.

I long for the days where I don't have to be in formation 30min. prior. :D

Crowbar

None
Just wanted to update this with how things are running for our company.

This week is our first set of command evals, and we are little more than halfway done. So far from our platoon (started with 45) we have had 1 medical drop, 1 drop for 'lack of self-confidence', and 1 academic drop. We also have 2 more academic drops and 1 leadership drop pending. There's a good chance that all 3 of those Marines will be going to Mike Company. So we are down to 42 and will more than likely be at 39 by the end of next week.

Maybe someone else can fill you in on how their platoons are doing, that's just a quick snapshot of one platoon. Don't know if this is going to be a new trend or policy or mindset, just something I'm throwing out there for general information.

Status
Not open for further replies.