• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Failure of Leadership..

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Strained by a decade of intense operations? Bet your ass. Filled with budget cuts? Not so much...

csbachartmon.png

Some good points, certainly...but nothing really new no?

Renegade One

None
This article is written by an anonymous LCDR...perhaps somebody from AWs?
Maybe…but the "nom de plume" of W. T. "Water Tight" Door says SWO to me…not that there's anything wrong or mutually exclusive about that.

Don't know how widely read the web site is, and don't know if USNI Proceedings takes anonymous articles for its "Nobody Asked Me…But" column…probably not…but agree with one commentor on the site that says this post likely won't reach the right audience.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Maybe…but the "nom de plume" of W. T. "Water Tight" Door says SWO to me…not that there's anything wrong or mutually exclusive about that.

W.T. Door is an Academy-ism. He's kind of like a "Joe Schmo" or "John Q. Public." Basically a filler name to refer to an abstract concept or hypothetical situation. He should be extremely familiar to anyone who attended the prestigious Leadership Laboratory in Maryland. I don't think it's use implies SWO-dom at all.

BigRed389

None
Strained by a decade of intense operations? Bet your ass. Filled with budget cuts? Not so much...

Yeah but some services/communities saw more of that money than others. The budget environment between being on a ship (SURFOR) and expeditionary (NECC-OCO "War Money") was completely different. I went from waiting months to restore mission critical capabilities to being able to collar the nearest Suppo or his credit card holder to buy whatever I needed off the shelf. As long as I could justify it I got it.
And considering what we were doing at the time, not at all wrong.

However, if he is in fact a SWO, from his perspective, while "budget cut" may be taking it too far, underfunded would still be an accurate description over that decade.
And if moving forward, with the strategic pivot and realignment, we don't realign priorities to a new national strategy and reprioritize (ie more selective than a slice off the top of every service), then it will never get better.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They find rank based on time in service, not competency or job performance. Every O-1 will be promoted to O-2 at the exact time their entire year group pins on. No exceptions are made for the best- or worst- of the bunch. The same process occurs through the mid-grade field officers, where still upwards of 80% are promoted to O-5.

BS flag is up.

What frickin' community is this guy in??? 80% to O-5, must be a helo bubba.

Yeah you can make O-2 or O-3 but that's about it if you're a shitbird. But it won't get you to 20 unless you got some prior time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

csbachartmon.png

Concur. I noted several fallacies in the article, this among them. Seems like the same recycled talking points. As happens so often with pieces like these, there's a whole lot of "The Navy should do X, Y and Z," but not a whole lot of thought goes into the implementation of any of those ideas. That's always the hard part, and also the factor that's going to relegate an idea to the JV realm vs. what a decision-maker is really going to take note of. As is typical, these guys try to cover too wide a swath. They get so caught up in pointing out all of the deficiencies that they lose focus in solving any of the individual problems. Standard.

jtdees

Puddle Jumper
pilot
Maybe it's just me, but...

All the bureaucracy is an attempt to respond to the development of a ginormous organization serving an even more ginormous nation and world, with a lot of moving parts, any of which can create a failure. Removing controls will allow a lot of creativity and innovation, but a lot of it could also be called unleashing loose cannons and chasing rabbits down trails.

Perhaps it's just based on my recent experience in the training commands, but a lot of young officers don't show up motivated and idealistic about the new Navy they're going to create, they show up shy and quiet, not wanting to rock the boat, and bored with all the bureaucratic process, the purpose for which they don't understand, always hoping to get time for either doing the one awesome thing they're there for, or do any leisure activity that doesn't involve the busy work of peripheral operations. They don't get stifled, they get kept in place for fear of losing the opportunity to do that cool thing that they do, be it flying, or blowing stuff up, or whatever. Enlisted folks come in pretty similarly, being nearly the same age and of similar personality that chooses to serve and join the adventure. In any case, those who don't get the "whole picture" need to be managed, lest they destroy the mission or their ability to take part in it.

Leadership is definitely needed, but not to start building an agile, optimizing, paradigm-shifting, buzzword-bingo-winning organization from the ground up. What is needed is vision and communication. Sobering. Honest. Apolitical. Inclusive, inspiring, and fair. And leadership mustn't always start from the top. We should each ask not what our country can do for us, but what we can do for our country. I could show up and be a really good stick, and be a pretty good GSO, and nobody else would be too sympathetic if I didn't get that awesome tour that will guarantee me a path to being a CAG and beyond, just because I think I have ideas.

One of the best leadership traits, one that is not often focused upon, is humility. The Peter Principle will hit everyone someday, and without humility, without knowing one's role in the grand scheme, it will hurt really bad and lead to the disgust that this article describes. Certainly some get the shaft, not all who are humble get their just dues, and not all who enjoy wild success are unhumble, but each one can always benefit from a humble, objective view of their world. I just can't help thinking that each of those creative JO's described who gets disgusted at the lack of opportunity and gets out, just gave up on some future chance at opportunity. Why else would it seem that there are only "average" candidates available for leadership? Taking opportunity for personal enrichment when it arrives is great, but if the goal is enriching the organization, then one should hang in until their turn comes. One cannot have his personal cake and eat Big Navy's cake, too.

There are a lot of facets to this, and I agree with or understand a lot of the sentiments of hope for improvement or dissatisfaction at its absence. But accusing the "system" and all the lazy, average, marginal leaders who seem to get all the top jobs of being the only problem is a little short-sighted. I'd like to see a few more articles about "what are YOU doing to improve YOUR Navy?" to go with all the ones about what's wrong.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BS flag is up.

Yeah you can make O-2 or O-3 but that's about it if you're a shitbird. But it won't get you to 20 unless you got some prior time.
This guy apparently needs to check the results from last year's O-4 board. Goal was 70 percent overall; SWOs and sub guys promoted at 80 percent whilst aviators hovered around 60, IIRC.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
BS flag is up.

Yeah, that was about where I stopped reading. I'll go back to it and see if there are some other interesting points... I would try to pull up the precept and see what the numbers are for this years boards, but NPC is having none of it right now.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
First, I think he was kind of a punk to use a pseudonym. He wasn't exactly blowing anyone's doors off laying down the TRUTH, or blowing open Watergate.

Second, it was really just a lot of problem identification with no concrete solutions. It was well suited for a post on an Internet forum or on one's own personal blog, but not article-worthy.

I think our thread at AW had more good solutions than this piece did.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...One of the best leadership traits, one that is not often focused upon, is humility. The Peter Principle will hit everyone someday, and without humility, without knowing one's role in the grand scheme, it will hurt really bad and lead to the disgust that this article describes. Certainly some get the shaft, not all who are humble get their just dues, and not all who enjoy wild success are unhumble, but each one can always benefit from a humble, objective view of their world. ...
Any newbies or wannabes stumble across this post, read that again, rinse and repeat.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok....WTF? This article is filled with hyperbole, contradictions, generalities, repetitiveness, and mindless jibber jabber. And yes, the person who wrote this is a SWO. I'm 99% sure of it. There are certain subtleties throughout his/her writing that scream SWO. Nothing really earth shattering new here and much of what this person talks about applies to the civilian side as well. There are piss poor leaders everywhere. Yes, even at Google and Apple. And last time I checked, the U.S. military isn't competing against either of those organizations as the author suggests.

Sub King

SWO? Maybe. Frustrated SWO NUKE who's tired of all the nuclear administrative BS. I'm probably wrong, but that's my guess. BTW, W.T. Door......unless someone mentioned it, couldn't that be "Where's The Door?"