• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Failure of Leadership..

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...“Frankly, I think he was protecting me. You know, that’s a characteristic of leadership.”Stockdale exhibited several noteworthy characteristics of a great leader that day. He stayed focused on the POWs’ agreed-upon mission, he chose his battle carefully and — without fear of personal consequences — he sacrificed himself to protect those under him. He asked nothing of his followers that he would not first deliver himself. When pain was on the agenda, Stockdale didn’t delegate. He led.Even today, Mr. Johnson found Stockdale’s actions a model for himself and others in challenging leadership positions: ...When we honor the legacy and values of outstanding leadership like Jim, America will win.”
Nice R1... although the late VADM Jim Stockdale was at heart, a trained Fighter Pilot, he went down in an A-4E Skyhawk, as CAG, leading a CVW-16 strike.

His indomitable spirit, and his "replica-on-a-stick" A-4E Scooter, guard the new Stockdale Main Gate at NAS North Island in San Diego, CA.
VADM Stockdale.jpg
BzB

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I believe it is a failure of leadership when we have decided that CBTs and annual training on staying fit, not smoking, not beating your wife/dog/husband/kids, not burning yourself while grilling, etc... is more important than teaching (outside of commissioning sources) about our history. The Marine Corps is big on the "Warrior Monk" idea, but other than the Commandant's reading list I haven't seen anything to work toward that goal. New aviators today don't know much about Adm Stockdale and the Hanoi Hilton or Bug Roach or any of the air battles in Vietnam and Korea, or hell, even the Gulf War 1. Part of that is on us, but it also rests on our leaders who feel it is more important to ensure we read about not going to strip clubs in Asia.

Renegade One

None
I believe it is a failure of leadership ...Part of that is on us...

1. Yes. Sadly, the life and times of "Bug Roach" is never going to be a lecture subject in any Navy schoolhouse. That's sad…but, as you say... it's on you to "teach your children well".

2. Stay out of strip clubs in Asia.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I believe it is a failure of leadership when we have decided that CBTs and annual training on staying fit, not smoking, not beating your wife/dog/husband/kids, not burning yourself while grilling, etc... is more important than teaching (outside of commissioning sources) about our history. The Marine Corps is big on the "Warrior Monk" idea, but other than the Commandant's reading list I haven't seen anything to work toward that goal. New aviators today don't know much about Adm Stockdale and the Hanoi Hilton or Bug Roach or any of the air battles in Vietnam and Korea, or hell, even the Gulf War 1. Part of that is on us, but it also rests on our leaders who feel it is more important to ensure we read about not going to strip clubs in Asia.

You should try the EWS seminar. Depending on your instructor, a lot of good history/gouge/mentorship can be had.