• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Failed DP at meps and selected NFO

Ironstar

Hi all, I tried looking all over but couldn't find an answer.

I was recently prorecd for the March 3rd OCS date as a NFO. No FINSEL yet because waiting on fingerprints.

Anyways, my dream was to be a SNA, and I was a Mechanical engineer and I got great scores on the ASTB, was an auto-qual. But then I failed the DP test at MEPS. I brought this up with my Recruiter at the time but he said it was not a problem. Anyways, come to find out they immediately ignored my first choice as SNA because of the DP test. What I am wondering, is can I get the test Re done at OCS or right after OCS and then get my job changed to SNA? Or is my best bet to push off going to OCS, and try to retake the test at MEPS. I am also going to a civ doctor to get DP tested next week to be sure. Or is it possible to get changed to SNA before I sign? My recruiter says I can get switched to SNA after OCS, but this is about the 4th thing he has been wrong about so I was hoping for some better information and advice. Thanks in advance.

Bocian

My understanding is that you will show up to OCS accepted as a SNFO and won't be able to change to SNA. There is a way to switch from NFO to SNA later on but i heard it's competitive and only happens for a few people.

You should have just put down that you wanted SNA instead of both because now they accepted you as a SNFO and if you "quit" or don't take it, it looks really bad when you reapply. If you just put SNA you could have just retested and resubmitted to a different board further down the line.

Ironstar

Thanks for your reply. I did tell my recruiter to only put down SNA. I don't know what his problem is but he always forgot what I said and like I said never gave me any good information. He ended up putting down SNA, SNFO, SWO in that order without telling me. I didn't hear about this until I got news that I was selected as an SNFO

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi all, I tried looking all over but couldn't find an answer.

I was recently prorecd for the March 3rd OCS date as a NFO. No FINSEL yet because waiting on fingerprints.

Anyways, my dream was to be a SNA, and I was a Mechanical engineer and I got great scores on the ASTB, was an auto-qual. But then I failed the DP test at MEPS. I brought this up with my Recruiter at the time but he said it was not a problem. Anyways, come to find out they immediately ignored my first choice as SNA because of the DP test. What I am wondering, is can I get the test Re done at OCS or right after OCS and then get my job changed to SNA? Or is my best bet to push off going to OCS, and try to retake the test at MEPS. I am also going to a civ doctor to get DP tested next week to be sure. Or is it possible to get changed to SNA before I sign? My recruiter says I can get switched to SNA after OCS, but this is about the 4th thing he has been wrong about so I was hoping for some better information and advice. Thanks in advance.

Either go to OCS and ship as an SNFO or decline and pretty much risk never getting selected for an OCS program period.

Sucks for what your recruiter did but sometimes shit happens.

Ironstar

Can't you get a Civ doctor to check your DP?

Ya that is my current Plan but I don't know If there is an actual process for getting switched from SNFO to SNA at the point. I haven't heard that you can switch after being accepted in a different designator until after OCS, and from what I hear it is really Difficult, one person I talked to said he knew people who tried but no one who succeeded, granted that was 8 years ago about.

exNavyOffRec

Ya that is my current Plan but I don't know If there is an actual process for getting switched from SNFO to SNA at the point. I haven't heard that you can switch after being accepted in a different designator until after OCS, and from what I hear it is really Difficult, one person I talked to said he knew people who tried but no one who succeeded, granted that was 8 years ago about.

They no longer accept civilian exams, @RUFiO181 has put that out many times.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Any idea why that is the case or if there is a memorandum or instruction that puts this in writing?

People were shopping around eye doctors until they could find one who would “pass” them. They would then go to OCS and straight up fail the NAMI DP exam, causing re-designation headaches.

Ironstar

They no longer accept civilian exams, @RUFiO181 has put that out many times.

Ya I know. I also want to take the test from civilian just to know for myself. At least then I know if I somehow get switched to sna I won't get disqualified later. Or then I'll know I really don't have dp and my mind will be at ease.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want to be an SNA, don't go to OCS as an SNFO. Look at the posts in this thread and compare it to your experience: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/eye-exam.45546/post-901771
Let us know if you have more questions.

You shouldn't be at fault if the recruiter is jacked up or being untruthful. "Sorry he screwed up, but take what you can get" is an unsat refrain. That said, if you really fail all the DP tests as laid out in the references, then SNA probably won't ever be an option.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
People were shopping around eye doctors until they could find one who would “pass” them. They would then go to OCS and straight up fail the NAMI DP exam, causing re-designation headaches.
Have you ever thought that maybe that DP exam given by NAMI is flawed and might be the actual problem? If people have actual doctors telling them their DP is fine but then fail the NAMI test it sounds like the NAMI exam is where the problem is.

someone else agrees

I've said it before around here, I failed the DP test at NAMI. I was given an NFO spot, which I didn't want, because my shitty recruiter didn't care about me. I went to a civilian doctor who said my depth perception was fine and resubmitted to pick up SNA. I've since had no issues, even landing on the boat, at night.......

I am curious where the reference is that states no civilian DP exams can be used anymore. And I agree with UInavy, don't go to be an NFO if that isn't what you want. There are techniques that can be used to aid one in passing that stupid ass test.