• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Failed DP at meps and selected NFO

ATIS

Drinking the night before your first ever flight physical, I would avoid that (technique item only)...at least on your first. My eyes had gone 20/60+ by my senior year in ROTC so I was NFO-bound regardless.
Stressing over your physical, when you are a 20+ year old, is this really a thread?
ATIS

papacarter

College Student
It kinda sucks that the only depth perception test at MEPS is the notorious and unreliable AFVT. Whereas you get a chance at 3 different DP tests at OCS and NAMI. I feel silly studying Magic Eye pics just to pass this part of MEPS. One evolution at a time I guess.

@Ironstar it was my dream for as long as I can remember to be a Naval Aviator. I never gave much thought about the NFO community until I, too, failed the bullshit DP test at MEPS. I was so depressed after getting NPQ'd for SNA after my visit at MEPS. That was September 2017, and now a year and a half later I'm an SNFO in Primary and I couldn't be any happier. If you want to go jets, you have a far greater chance (>50% chance) than if you were an SNA (~15% chance AT BEST). Also, if you struggle at any point in training, the tolerance for SNFO Pink Sheets (academic failure) is greater than if you were an SNA. Finally, the SNA pipeline is way backed up right now... the SNFO pipeline isn't. Take your failed DP exam news in stride and know that you have a great future ahead of you. Embrace the double-anchor life. DOUBLE THE ANCHORS, DOUBLE THE FUN!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
@Ironstar it was my dream for as long as I can remember to be a Naval Aviator. I never gave much thought about the NFO community until I, too, failed the bullshit DP test at MEPS. I was so depressed after getting NPQ'd for SNA after my visit at MEPS. That was September 2017, and now a year and a half later I'm an SNFO in Primary and I couldn't be any happier. If you want to go jets, you have a far greater chance (>50% chance) than if you were an SNA (~15% chance AT BEST). Also, if you struggle at any point in training, the tolerance for SNFO Pink Sheets (academic failure) is greater than if you were an SNA. Finally, the SNA pipeline is way backed up right now... the SNFO pipeline isn't. Take your failed DP exam news in stride and know that you have a great future ahead of you. Embrace the double-anchor life. DOUBLE THE ANCHORS, DOUBLE THE FUN!

I just threw up in my mouth a bit.

Using a high tolerance for substandard performance is a selling point for the community is really inspiring for those who strive to be their best and a ringing endorsement of your community. With outlooks like that it really shouldn’t be surprising that many pilots dread the idea of dealing with NFOs and discount a lot of what your community has to offer.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Using a high tolerance for substandard performance is a selling point for the community is really inspiring for those who strive to be their best and a ringing endorsement of your community. With outlooks like that it really shouldn’t be surprising that many pilots dread the idea of dealing with NFOs and discount a lot of what your community has to offer.

A little harsh, don’t you think? Sure, I don’t agree with the point about the pink sheets either, but it’s a stretch to take it from there to an indictment of all NFOs.

I’d rather have him (as an SNFO who was forced to become one for reasons outside of his control), motivated for his new job instead of being bitter and jaded about it.

I’m sorry you threw up in your mouth a little bit, would you like a puke bag?

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation

You forgot the emojis, you gotta be hip with the kids you know ????

Ironstar

Hi all, I tried looking all over but couldn't find an answer.

I was recently prorecd for the March 3rd OCS date as a NFO. No FINSEL yet because waiting on fingerprints.

Anyways, my dream was to be a SNA, and I was a Mechanical engineer and I got great scores on the ASTB, was an auto-qual. But then I failed the DP test at MEPS. I brought this up with my Recruiter at the time but he said it was not a problem. Anyways, come to find out they immediately ignored my first choice as SNA because of the DP test. What I am wondering, is can I get the test Re done at OCS or right after OCS and then get my job changed to SNA? Or is my best bet to push off going to OCS, and try to retake the test at MEPS. I am also going to a civ doctor to get DP tested next week to be sure. Or is it possible to get changed to SNA before I sign? My recruiter says I can get switched to SNA after OCS, but this is about the 4th thing he has been wrong about so I was hoping for some better information and advice. Thanks in advance.

*** UPDATE **
just a heads up for anyone who found themselves in this situation. I applied to convert to sna and was finally accepted. I was given the news a week after finishing API. I applied a few weeks after I checked into pensacola. Probably took about 4 months to hear the results. When I went to apply I was told by the A pool officer and the civilians who were processing the package that it would be impossible and trying would just show me that sometimes you can't get what you want sometimes in the navy. Moral of the story is if people tell you something, don't listen to them. Tons of people do back down and never apply because they are told it's a waste of time. If you want it, you need to take it. I worked extremely hard in OCS, was near the top of my class, and same for API. If your in this situation try not to give up. Always hope for the best but expect the worst.