• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Failed Depth Perception...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depending on what you fly, that might not even be necessary (or recommended for that matter)...
Amen to that, the term 'flare' is a dirty word in carrier aviation "They who flare...bolter bolter bolter", or worse!:eek:
BzB

spaniard87

Dec 2012 SNA Pro Rec
[/FONT said:
armada1651]Depending on what you fly, that might not even be necessary (or recommended for that matter)...

I guess that's true. I never really thought about but it makes complete sense. I guess DP is more concerned about formation flying and aerial refueling.

jbweldon04 said:
Don't ever say this to an Optometrist as you'll get chewed out. Optometrist go to college for four years to be a Doctor of Optometry. They're eye doctors who specialize in refractive error, but are more than capable of diagnosing diseases. To be more accurate about depth perception, an Optometrist is more of an expert than an ophthalmologist as the ophthalmologist specializes with eye disorders.

In response to OP, just get a depth perception test from the Optometrist. You don't need to see if you're 20/20 or get a refraction. If they do more than just depth perception you will get charged for that other stuff. Get him to write a letter stating that you have depth perception, what test he administered and what your score was.
Yeah I got an appointment with an Optometrist. The Opthalmologist wanted $350 for an eye exam where as the former was less than half for the same exam. Like you said, I only need the depth perception one. I know my vision is 20/15 far and 20/20 near from my last checkup. I have the appointment tomorrow morning. Hopefully all will go well and I'll be on my way. Thanks a lot for the advice guys.

speeddypat

None
For what it's worth, I had the same issue where I failed at MEPS and then got a letter from out in town that my depth perception was ok. I was able to get SNA but then when I got to OCS I failed the depth perception again and was then offered NFO which has worked out extremely well. This was 7 years ago but hope things work out and PM me if you have any other questions.

spaniard87

Dec 2012 SNA Pro Rec
Update:
I went to the optometrist this morning and I have 20/20 vision borderline 20/15. They performed the Stereo Fly test and I got them all correctly without guessing the first time. I took my time and didn't rush like at MEPS. While the doctor was writing my letter for NRC I looked at it again and this time blinked rapidly and they stood out much easier. That may work for some people in the future. Thanks everyone for your advice and hopefully this will work.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Update:
I went to the optometrist this morning and I have 20/20 vision borderline 20/15. They performed the Stereo Fly test and I got them all correctly without guessing the first time. I took my time and didn't rush like at MEPS. While the doctor was writing my letter for NRC I looked at it again and this time blinked rapidly and they stood out much easier. That may work for some people in the future. Thanks everyone for your advice and hopefully this will work.
That's good to hear. I'm in the same sort of situation, I only got a Pass B at MEPS instead of D, but at the time I was somewhat dehydrated and running on a half hour of sleep (long story). I went to the civilian eye doc, who gave me....I think it was the Randot test. It was the one where it had the sets of four circles in a baseball-diamond setup, and you put on these 3D glasses and say which circle from each set of four stands out. I got 9/9 no sweat, so hopefully I fare as well during my rematch with the AFVT once I go to OCS.

spaniard87

Dec 2012 SNA Pro Rec
pat_ryan said:
That's good to hear. I'm in the same sort of situation, I only got a Pass B at MEPS instead of D, but at the time I was somewhat dehydrated and running on a half hour of sleep (long story). I went to the civilian eye doc, who gave me....I think it was the Randot test. It was the one where it had the sets of four circles in a baseball-diamond setup, and you put on these 3D glasses and say which circle from each set of four stands out. I got 9/9 no sweat, so hopefully I fare as well during my rematch with the AFVT once I go to OCS.
It sounds exactly like the same test I did. It tests up to 40 seconds of arc which is what is required for SNA. I think it's called the Stereo Fly Test the circle portion. I had to think on the last one though. I took my time comparing each circle. I think this happens more often than not. I wish the recruiters would warn us about this and simple tips such as being well hydrated and the importance of this this test. I had no idea it even mattered until I was disqualified for it after being selected for SNA. I'm hearing horror stories too about how people pass it at the civilian doc and fail it at OCS. But if what I read is right, there are three different versions that test DP. Passing any one of them satisfies the requirement and the good news is that the one we took is included in there.

mataron

Naval Aviator, VP-46
pilot
The AFVT at MEPS is flawed, and unfortunately, people's careers/dreams depend on it.

I failed the AFVT at MEPS. I saw a civilian optometrist, and I got a letter from him stating that my depth perception was good. I got a retake of the same AFVT at MEPS, and that time, I passed. (The fact that taking the exact same test can produce two very different results indicates the AFVT is not a very good test of one's depth perception.) Later on, I passed the depth perception test at OCS.

I was lucky to come across Airwarriors and threads like this one, as I'm sure not everyone gets gouge on this issue.

delta215

Just back from the civilian optometrist. Passed with 25 seconds of arc. I'd say the machines at MEPS need to be calibrated.

exNavyOffRec

Just back from the civilian optometrist. Passed with 25 seconds of arc. I'd say the machines at MEPS need to be calibrated.

I would say it is more to the lack of time a person is given at MEPS and the lack of sleep, the reason I say this is the number of people that fail at MEPS, pass a civilian test, then fail at OCS is higher then the guys that pass at MEPS, the common factor between MEPS and OCS is lack of sleep. The machines at MEPS are cleaned and calibrated every year.

delta215

I would say it is more to the lack of time a person is given at MEPS and the lack of sleep, the reason I say this is the number of people that fail at MEPS, pass a civilian test, then fail at OCS is higher then the guys that pass at MEPS, the common factor between MEPS and OCS is lack of sleep. The machines at MEPS are cleaned and calibrated every year.

In my case, definitely due to lack of time. Had plenty of sleep the night before.

rchris4

I too only got a pass C on the AFVT, but I passed the Titmus Fly Test with an optometrist and I am now PQ'd for SNA. If you fail the AFVT at OCS, which back-up tests are administered afterwards? I feel I can pass the AFVT my second go-round because I thought there was a time limit my first time, and I guessed on the last lines. Although, I would feel much better if I knew it was true that you can take back-up tests if you fail the AFVT again.

delta215

I too only got a pass C on the AFVT, but I passed the Titmus Fly Test with an optometrist and I am now PQ'd for SNA. If you fail the AFVT at OCS, which back-up tests are administered afterwards? I feel I can pass the AFVT my second go-round because I thought there was a time limit my first time, and I guessed on the last lines. Although, I would feel much better if I knew it was true that you can take back-up tests if you fail the AFVT again.

Interested in this as well.

MGoBrew11

pilot

The depth perception tests at OCS are easier than MEPS. They do more than the AFVT, including one where you wear 3D glasses and answer questions about images on a tablet. Same thing at NAMI.

Don't sweat it.

rchris4

The depth perception tests at OCS are easier than MEPS. They do more than the AFVT, including one where you wear 3D glasses and answer questions about images on a tablet. Same thing at NAMI.

Don't sweat it.

Thanks. This puts me at ease. I hope for a better result at OCS.

Good luck to everyone else as well!