• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Failed Depth Perception...

spaniard87

Dec 2012 SNA Pro Rec
So a few weeks ago I get the great news that I have been pro recommended for SNA and it's the only designation I marked. Yesterday my dreams were almost shattered. I get an email from my recruiter with an attachment of my N3M letter saying I was disqualified because I didn't make it past "C" on the depth perception test at MEPS. I almost lost it.

After doing a ton of research on threads here I realized that this is pretty common and that a lot of people don't pass that exam at MEPS. I have never had any issues with my eyes whatsoever. In fact, when I took the Class III Flight Physical for the FAA a few months ago I got 20/15 on distant and 20/20 on near. I also spoke to the doctor yesterday who did the exam and he said they also did four depth perception exams. Esophoria, Exophoria, Hypophoria, and Hyperphoria. I passed all those perfectly as well. I have an appointment with the optometrist this Friday to get further exams done. I'm confident everything will go well.

Once I see the optometrist and get the letter from him how complicated is it to get things sorted out? Any specific steps I need to do? Is there any chance they won't take it? Also, I've read here that they perform alternate DP tests if you fail one. Is there any truth to that?

NavyOffRec and Feddoc, you are more than welcome to shed some light. Your advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

exNavyOffRec

So a few weeks ago I get the great news that I have been pro recommended for SNA and it's the only designation I marked. Yesterday my dreams were almost shattered. I get an email from my recruiter with an attachment of my N3M letter saying I was disqualified because I didn't make it past "C" on the depth perception test at MEPS. I almost lost it.

After doing a ton of research on threads here I realized that this is pretty common and that a lot of people don't pass that exam at MEPS. I have never had any issues with my eyes whatsoever. In fact, when I took the Class III Flight Physical for the FAA a few months ago I got 20/15 on distant and 20/20 on near. I also spoke to the doctor yesterday who did the exam and he said they also did four depth perception exams. Esophoria, Exophoria, Hypophoria, and Hyperphoria. I passed all those perfectly as well. I have an appointment with the optometrist this Friday to get further exams done. I'm confident everything will go well.

Once I see the optometrist and get the letter from him how complicated is it to get things sorted out? Any specific steps I need to do? Is there any chance they won't take it? Also, I've read here that they perform alternate DP tests if you fail one. Is there any truth to that?

NavyOffRec and Feddoc, you are more than welcome to shed some light. Your advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I have seen people get ok'd with civilian depth perception, but to be honest most I have seen have then failed at OCS and then redesignated, just be prepared.

spaniard87

Dec 2012 SNA Pro Rec
I only listed SNA so what would I redesignate to? Are there alternate exams available? Obviously I don't want the civilian doctor passing me if there is something genuinely wrong with my eyes because I don't want to go down the road and fail later.

spaniard87

Dec 2012 SNA Pro Rec
That would really suck. Would that mean that after I get the doc's letter I would have to reapply and go through all of the hoops again?

spaniard87

Dec 2012 SNA Pro Rec
Excellent. Thanks a lot for the comments. I'm going to fight this. I don't think there is anything wrong with my eyes as I stated above. I've taken off and landed over 1000 times and I'm sure I can judge the runway from the ground before flaring and rounding out.

exNavyOffRec

Excellent. Thanks a lot for the comments. I'm going to fight this. I don't think there is anything wrong with my eyes as I stated above. I've taken off and landed over 1000 times and I'm sure I can judge the runway from the ground before flaring and rounding out.

I have had several that failed depth say the same thing.

spaniard87

Dec 2012 SNA Pro Rec
Did they go on to be Navy pilots? I actually didn't completely fail. I made to line "C." I think line D is the minimum for SNA's. Thinking back on it, at MEPS the lady said I passed so I didn't think of much of it. A lot of people on here say how it's pretty common to not pass at MEPS because the machines are old an outdated and the people at MEPS are just rushing everyone to get through with the process. They say there are also alternate tests that are given. Something about books.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!

Thanks

I'm not a doctor but I do know the test you need to do is for stereopsis

Depth perception in real life (whether it is driving, flying, etc.) is separate from what they are looking for. The most common test people will use from civilian docs is the booklet test which goes to least 40 arcseconds of difference in the dots. Hence the dots get tougher and tougher on the test. You being able to see row "C" and not "D" is what is in question... you have stereopsis but can you see the tougher circles?

I'd go see an ophthalmologist (an actual eye doctor, not an optometrist) and have them do a comprehensive exam

spaniard87

Dec 2012 SNA Pro Rec
I have an appointment Friday morning. Fingers crossed.

I found this in NAMI that may be useful for some of you:
1. Valid tests of stereopsis include:
a. Armed Forces Vision Tester (AFVT)
b. Verhoeff Stereoptor
c. Stereoacuity Plates used with polarized viewers such as the Stereo Optical or Titmus Optical Stereo Fly or Randot. A randomized version of these tests may be used if the examiner deems it necessary.
2. Although the devices test stereopsis at optical infinity, intermediate or near distance-respectively, a pass of any one test meets the stereopsis standard. The tests must be administered and results recorded as specified in MANMED and elsewhere in the ARWG.

So I guess you only need to pass one of the three.

dfred

pilot
PM me if you would like some insight on how to go about this. Happened to me and I'm sitting in A pool as a SNA.

I have an appointment Friday morning. Fingers crossed.

I found this in NAMI that may be useful for some of you:
1. Valid tests of stereopsis include:
a. Armed Forces Vision Tester (AFVT)
b. Verhoeff Stereoptor
c. Stereoacuity Plates used with polarized viewers such as the Stereo Optical or Titmus Optical Stereo Fly or Randot. A randomized version of these tests may be used if the examiner deems it necessary.
2. Although the devices test stereopsis at optical infinity, intermediate or near distance-respectively, a pass of any one test meets the stereopsis standard. The tests must be administered and results recorded as specified in MANMED and elsewhere in the ARWG.

So I guess you only need to pass one of the three.

exNavyOffRec

Did they go on to be Navy pilots? I actually didn't completely fail. I made to line "C." I think line D is the minimum for SNA's. Thinking back on it, at MEPS the lady said I passed so I didn't think of much of it. A lot of people on here say how it's pretty common to not pass at MEPS because the machines are old an outdated and the people at MEPS are just rushing everyone to get through with the process. They say there are also alternate tests that are given. Something about books.

no they didn't, some made it to OCS with civilian depth perception passes but failed at OCS.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I've taken off and landed over 1000 times and I'm sure I can judge the runway from the ground before flaring and rounding out.

Depending on what you fly, that might not even be necessary (or recommended for that matter). Good luck.

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
I'm not a doctor but I do know the test you need to do is for stereopsis

I'd go see an ophthalmologist (an actual eye doctor, not an optometrist) and have them do a comprehensive exam

Don't ever say this to an Optometrist as you'll get chewed out. Optometrist go to college for four years to be a Doctor of Optometry. They're eye doctors who specialize in refractive error, but are more than capable of diagnosing diseases. To be more accurate about depth perception, an Optometrist is more of an expert than an ophthalmologist as the ophthalmologist specializes with eye disorders.

In response to OP, just get a depth perception test from the Optometrist. You don't need to see if you're 20/20 or get a refraction. If they do more than just depth perception you will get charged for that other stuff. Get him to write a letter stating that you have depth perception, what test he administered and what your score was.