• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FAA Exam Gouge

Nomar116

pilot
You might check out the other thread. Jeppesen states that the FAA no longer releases all of the questions and that it is possible that a question can appear on an exam that has never been released before.

I was surprised that there were a number of people that have posted that seem to be unfamiliar with IFS.

UMichfly

pilot
None
IFS is a relatively new program and a lot of the people on here were around before salt was salty.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
As I understood it (ERAU is big on Gleim for test prep), Gleim has every known question. The FAA tests out one or two new questions but they don't count against your score. This only applies to the computer-based testing, I have no idea how it works if you do it in paper form.

Nomar116

pilot
Perhaps Gleim is different, I have no idea. In the Jeppesen "Question Bank" book issued to us it reads:

"The FAA has changed the way questions are published by including only selected questions from their entire database. Therefore, you might encounter a question on the exam that has never been published by the FAA."

Hence the reason for this thread.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was surprised that there were a number of people that have posted that seem to be unfamiliar with IFS.

It's not a matter of being unfamiliar. Read your original post:

After my experience with the FAA test today I saw some questions that Jeppesen didn't really cover all that well. I thought I would start a thread for anyone that reads this place to post questions they think are obscure enough to point out but good for a student to look over.

No where in there does it mention IFS. It just happens to be in the API section. There's actually a FAR test you take in API, hence the confusion, as well as an equivalency test you can take when you get winged. My point before was that IFS is NOT a civilian program. It's a Navy program utilizing civilian regs. As such, the Navy is going to take care of giving you what you need, ie the Jeppsen stuff mentioned that was issued.

HuggyU2

None
When I graduated USAF UPT, a guy came around and offered a 1-day Mil Competency course for a small fee. He did it for every class that graduated. Do y'all have that at your Navy pilot training bases when you graduate? If not, ask around: I'll bet someone is trying to make money on it. It was almost painless.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When I graduated USAF UPT, a guy came around and offered a 1-day Mil Competency course for a small fee. He did it for every class that graduated. Do y'all have that at your Navy pilot training bases when you graduate? If not, ask around: I'll bet someone is trying to make money on it. It was almost painless.

Yes, same, same. In my class, it was all of us HT guys, a bunch of guys from Meridian, and maybe even a few from Corpus coming through, but I can't remember.

MasterBates

I did it both at the HTs when I winged to add on Instrument-Airplane and Instrument-Helo ratings, and when I finished the prop-VTs to add on Multi..

It was worth the $100 both times to lessen the ass-pain of dealing with the FSDO.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I always used Dauntless Aviation's software. Check it out at checkride.com or http://www.dauntless-soft.com/
Has some good features for how you can be shown and tested on the material. I was able to memorize the entire question banks in a few hours and then go take the exams. Back when I was in training someone gave me some good advice and I took the similar exams same day to save on studying such as instrument airplane and instrument instructor and instrument ground.
Anyone else ever use this? I downloaded the trial software and it looks pretty good, they offer the entire question bank for $29.99...much less than Sheppard.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Try this. I have not used this for anything more than IFS studying, but for that its legit, and FREE!

ETA: I have not signed up, and it works just fine.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Solid thanks. In case anyone else uses it, the Mil Comp is linked under the FAA Commercial Pilot Exams

Scerio

Try this. I have not used this for anything more than IFS studying, but for that its legit, and FREE!

ETA: I have not signed up, and it works just fine.

That is an excellent resource, thank you for sharing that. The breakdown of where the information is very nice to have (especially studying for the FIA written).

I used SheppardAir software for my CAX exam, and would highly recommend it if one is seeking that particular FAA certificate. SA does not offer a PPL course however.

EDIT: Be advised that the FAA has been changing and adding more questions to the FAA test blanks, if no one has heard that yet. I believe this started sometime around 2011 and has continued.

Also, the FAA has practice questions posted as well:

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/

Last edited: