• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FAA Exam Gouge

Nomar116

pilot
After my experience with the FAA test today I saw some questions that Jeppesen didn't really cover all that well. I thought I would start a thread for anyone that reads this place to post questions they think are obscure enough to point out but good for a student to look over.

I should preface this by saying that the Jeppesen material provided is great. Read the book and especially use the "Jeppesen Test Guide" FAA Question/Answer booklet and you'll do fine. As most people say, Sportys is also a great resource for practice tests. Never-the-less, there are still new questions (apparently) that don't show up too often from these sources.

Question 1: When convicted of a DUI, according to FAR 61.15 what procedure should be followed to report the incident?
Answer 1: A written report should be filed to the FAA Civil Aviation Security Division (AMC-700) not later than 60 days after the motor vehicle action.

Question 2: Which sign would designate the runway on which an aircraft is located?
Answer 2: A runway location sign has a black background with a yellow border and inscription. (Be able to identify the sign visually)

UMichfly

pilot
None
Wow, good timing. I'm taking mine in the next two days. I've seen the first one on Sportys and in the Test Guide I think but that second one is out of the blue (at least as far as the test prep material is covered. It's in the textbook for sure).

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Sporty's pre-tests repeat the same questions way too much. I also saw really off the wall questions on the FAA. I can't think of any specifically now.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
+1 on Gleim. Great stuff. For the oral test, ASA makes a great book as well.

UMichfly

pilot
None
I may be mistaken but you have to pay for everything from Gleim (yeah, this is obvious but it differentiates it from Sporty's which is nice and free for all of us poor Ensigns ;)). We are provided a full kit from Jeppesen which IMHO is more than adequate to pass any of the tests we'll see in IFS. I can't justify spending any money when everything I need is given to me by the Navy. Maybe later when I try to get fancy on my own dime and go for my multi-engine etc. Gleim will make sense. Just my $.02

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I may be mistaken but you have to pay for everything from Gleim (yeah, this is obvious but it differentiates it from Sporty's which is nice and free for all of us poor Ensigns ;)). We are provided a full kit from Jeppesen which IMHO is more than adequate to pass any of the tests we'll see in IFS. I can't justify spending any money when everything I need is given to me by the Navy. Maybe later when I try to get fancy on my own dime and go for my multi-engine etc. Gleim will make sense. Just my $.02

Ahh, then you see, it's for the Navy, not the FAA. Sure, it's an FAA exam (I assume), but if it's for the Navy, then the Navy is going to take care of you and give you what you need. By the way, there was once a time before the interwebs and you bought a thing called a "book" that you studied from, which is the way I studied w/ Gleims. Only a one time purchase and a pass the first time.

Nomar116

pilot
Man, who uses this board??

Yes, this was intended for IFS. The entire IFS curriculum is civilian, the Navy just writes a check and watches over your shoulder as you push through their curriculum. They issue us an outfit of Jeppesen study material that is more than adequate. But the FAA doesn't release everything so if there is any info people think is important for the exam post it here.

We should really have a sticky or seperate section for this kind of stuff.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I always used Dauntless Aviation's software. Check it out at checkride.com or http://www.dauntless-soft.com/
Has some good features for how you can be shown and tested on the material. I was able to memorize the entire question banks in a few hours and then go take the exams. Back when I was in training someone gave me some good advice and I took the similar exams same day to save on studying such as instrument airplane and instrument instructor and instrument ground.