• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18C Down Near Fallon

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Prayers to those involved and that the pilot got out OK.

Recommend we combine these- there are already 2 threads about this.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Thoughts and prayers to the family. Never a good sign when they don't add "pilot ejected okay". Fair winds shipmate...

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Another update from CNAF: "The Navy has determined that the U.S. military pilot whose aircraft crashed Saturday on a training flight for the Naval Strike and Air Warfare Center at Naval Air Station (NAS) Fallon, Nev., was killed in the mishap." Awful news. My deepest condolences to the family and friends.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Friendly reminder: Please don't post "s/he was an XXX driver out of XXXX." The press release will come out shortly; let's let the CACO do their job.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Good reminder. Please make sure your significant other knows how to treat these events as well. There were some misleading rumors circulating on Facebook on Sunday (which were removed due to OPSEC.)

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Friendly reminder: Please don't post "s/he was an XXX driver out of XXXX." The press release will come out shortly; let's let the CACO do their job.

Anyone who has dealt with a CACO case knows how shitty of a job it is, and how frustrating it is when NOK finds out through Facebook.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Good reminder. Please make sure your significant other knows how to treat these events as well. There were some misleading rumors circulating on Facebook on Sunday (which were removed due to OPSEC.)

Every time that happens, I always think of the Blue Angel mishap in SC. For anyone that's been to ASO school and has heard it, it's probably one of the most messed up things ever. The short of the long is that the media started reporting that the #5 Angel crashed (all the families were there) when in fact it was the #6. Imagine what everyone was going through at that moment.

busdriver

None
Similar story happened to my community in 03. Two squadrons were deployed to separate locations supporting OEF, both got launched for the same mission and one aircraft crashed killing all on board. The spouse's network knew a crash happened and did the math based on who had checked in, end result was at least one wife was 100% positive her husband had died when in fact the crash was in the other squadron all together.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I'm in a Facebook group where there is a wife who lost her husband in a helo crash. She found out about the crash via the airwing's (or maybe the ship?) official Facebook page. CACO contacted her a few hours later, and told her they'd keep her updated on the search. And then she found out the search was called off from a friend's Facebook page. Her visiting in-laws got the news the same way.

Even "thoughts and prayers" posts, well intentioned though they may be, can be disastrous.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm in a Facebook group where there is a wife who lost her husband in a helo crash. She found out about the crash via the airwing's (or maybe the ship?) official Facebook page. CACO contacted her a few hours later, and told her they'd keep her updated on the search. And then she found out the search was called off from a friend's Facebook page. Her visiting in-laws got the news the same way.

Even "thoughts and prayers" posts, well intentioned though they may be, can be disastrous.
Wow. That's just absurd and horrible. I can even wrap my head around it getting screwed up via unofficial means like a personal Facebook page. But some PAO (community or collateral duty) should have been fired for that.