• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18 Bases

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
as much as i want jets... i dunnnno. the navy REALLY needs to put them in some better duty stations!

I personally wouldn't mind spending a good part of my career at Oceana, that area has grown on me a lot but I guess I'm biased being a Virginia boy. I'd much rather be there than stationed at Norfolk myself, but I guess if I make it to the fleet one day I don't really have too much say in that :icon_tong

GMan1976

Banned
I'm faced with a tough dilemma. I really want to fly jets. But I know that my wife (soon-to-be) would be MISERABLE in Lemoore. As would I. Neither of us want to live in Japan either. Oceana is great but it's a big gamble to hope to get it. The lifestyle and location of helos is very appealing to both of us (we would really be stoked on San Diego or HI). It's a huge decision. I def don't want E2/C2, but what about Maritime?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude, pick your platform based on mission. Not where you may be stationed.

GMan1976

Banned
easier said than done. it's a complicated situation. this isn't just about "me". when you get married, your wife marries into the navy and a lifestyle. This decision is more about family and making the best for them. i want us to be happy and living in a place that we will both love....

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So find the best compromise.

Don't be the guy who picks San Dog helos "for the family" and then bemoans not being Joey Jet Guy the rest of his career.

GMan1976

Banned
So find the best compromise.

Don't be the guy who picks San Dog helos "for the family" and then bemoans not being Joey Jet Guy the rest of his career.

what about to the million-plus posts on AW that promise "you'll be happy whatever you end up flying"?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's ALWAYS the one bitter guy in the squadron who either didn't get his first choice or "settled" for his family.

You have all the platforms to choose from, break down where they're located versus mission versus how happy is the fam.

I'm not trying to come down on you or anything, but your family's happiness is going to be directly affected by your job satisfaction.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
The lifestyle and location of helos is very appealing to both of us (we would really be stoked on San Diego or HI).

Aside from just SD and HI, for helos there is Mayport, Jax, Guam, Atsugi, Norfolk and Corpus... take those into consideration as well if you go and pick the pipeline.

BTW... its not like your going to have much of a say in things anyways. Put down what YOU want, and the Navy is going to give you whatever THEY want- no matter what kind of compromises your trying to make for your wife.

GMan1976

Banned
Aside from just SD and HI, for helos there is Mayport, Jax, Guam, Atsugi, Norfolk and Corpus... take those into consideration as well if you go and pick the pipeline.

BTW... its not like your going to have much of a say in things anyways. Put down what YOU want, and the Navy is going to give you whatever THEY want- no matter what kind of compromises your trying to make for your wife.

understandable. but it's nice to have a variety to cross my fingers over. the prob w/ jets is that Oceana is really the ONLY semi-cosmopolitan, nice place to be stationed. we went to visit lemoore last month and i was in total shock at how desolate that place is. definitely not what we expected.

by the way... thanks so much to everyone for their comments! keep em coming!