• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-4 tail hook specs?

Renegade One

None
Good dope BzB Jr, guess that about nails it. Problem was, with all the foul smoke roaring out of the twin pipes, plus the required continuous grease job on the hook point, the white stripes didn't last long!;)
BzB Sr :cool:
MIL-STD-2161A - DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE STANDARD PRACTICE: PAINT SCHEMES AND EXTERIOR MARKINGS FOR US NAVY AND MARINE CORPS AIRCRAFT (01 MAY 1993)
section 5.2.2.10.4 (spec excerpt attached) :)

Spec reference for download: http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-STD/MIL-STD-2000-2999/MIL-STD-2161A_24653/

BzB Jr, Engineering Nerd.
Was there a Navy or Marine F-4 flying in 1993? I think not. So…those regs seem not to apply. Bead-blast it to natural metal, paint the "attachment housing" however you want in squadron colors w/your zap, etc. White and black stripes is not, I don't think, representative of your squadron legacy. Heck, chrome-plate the whole thing if you want...:cool:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone know the color and size of the stripes on the shank for Navy F-4s?
This photo from our 1967 Connie jaunt, a VF-142 Phantom comin' aboard. Can one of you with eagle-eye vision tell if the tailhook is painted or no? Afraid my eyesight has deteriorated, I can't tell.:(
F-4 Phantom VF-142.jpg
BzB

maxsonic

Was there a Navy or Marine F-4 flying in 1993? I think not. So…those regs seem not to apply. Bead-blast it to natural metal, paint the "attachment housing" however you want in squadron colors w/your zap, etc. White and black stripes is not, I don't think, representative of your squadron legacy. Heck, chrome-plate the whole thing if you want...:cool:

MIL-STD-2161A was "Revision A" to the original spec...cannot find a reference for the date the original MIL-STD-2161 spec was promulgated. However, this Navy History web site indicates that the Ring-tailed Lemur markings on arresting hooks began as early as 1948: http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq2-1.htm (see Paragraph for May 01, 1948)

BzBJr

Renegade One

None
...Navy History web site indicates that the Ring-tailed Lemur markings on arresting hooks began as early as 1948...BzBJr
Okay.

This is just what I remember during 6+ years and 1350+ hours flying in three USN models of the beast:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3293/3305440387_47bc307292_z.jpg?zz=1
3305440387_47bc307292_z.jpg

maxsonic

Picture of a 60's Era Scooter with Lemur hook paint next to Phantom II with...looks like one hell of a lot of turbine engine soot back there. I imagine the maintainers said to hell with the paint spec, especially during combat ops...

Attachments

• midway-1088b.jpg
    midway-1088b.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 42

jmcquate

Contributor
F-4 was bare metal (including the hook) from the burner cans aft. Even the inboard half of the horizontal stabs were bare metal.

pilotevans1

pilot
Thanks for all the feedback. She's just a shank and a hook point shined up nice and silver already hanging from the squadron bar. F4 maintainer and aircrew are saying silver and soot. So silver it will remain. She didn't have a lick of paint on her when I pulled it.