• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-4 tail hook specs?

pilotevans1

pilot
I recently acquired an entire F-4 tail hook that's been sitting in the desert for 20+ years. It's going in the squadron bar since we used to fly the mighty phantom. I want to paint it the same way it was back in the day. Anyone know the color and size of the stripes on the shank for Navy F-4s?

Renegade One

None
Don't recall that they were painted at all…left natural metal. Probably numerous fleet variances, but that's my recollection. You'll find many "museum birds" painted with several stripes near the hook point, but I believe that because it's what the museum public "expects" to see. Remember…these things had to live right between two GE J-79 after burning jet engines…and paint was not your friend in that area of the aircraft. Big, heavy mo-fo, for sure…here's a pic of what I remember from my 6 years in Navy Phantoms:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ouglas_F-4_Phantom_Midland_Air_Museum_(2).jpg

I'd say clean it up, bead-blast it, or whatever…be happy. Check your load-bearing capacity wherever you intend to hang/mount it! Nice find! ;)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone know the color and size of the stripes on the shank for Navy F-4s?
I searched, but couldn't find TH paint specs for the Navy F-4B/J aircraft. As R-1 says, some units may have kept the metal finish, but I recall during the VN air war mid-'60s, our Phantoms (VF-142/143), had the standard black/white circumferential stripes. Check with CatMando, the other AW perpetually low state,:eek: Phantom-driving, gas guzzling, tanker draining expert (VF-151), for his take on the hook paint scheme.;)

Hasegawa also puts out a 1:48 plastic (Navy F-4 kit #07206), a quick peek inside at the decal sheet may give you a good lead on the hook paint scheme, whether dull dark metal or b/w striped.:)
VF-96 PHANTOM.jpg
BzB

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
This is the only pic of a Phantom hook I could find.

Attachments

• 6922904272_bb8d636761_h.jpg
    6922904272_bb8d636761_h.jpg
    856.3 KB · Views: 108

CAMike

None
Contributor
Blackened with hundreds of hours of JP or DFM.

I'd go with Satin Black on a base of light silver color. A PM to Catmandu would be appropriate.

pilotevans1

pilot
Thanks everyone. Just removed all the years of grease and BFM. Talked to my neighbor old F4 Rio. Sounds like it was just silver with lots of grease and dead dinosaurs. Next project is figuring out how to hang the heavy SOB. It's no hornet hook. Let the size jokes begin.

pilotevans1

pilot
Picture what it looked like Before I ripped apart the box, removed the actuators, and shined her up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 136

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
also, OP should have some wings. Thanks for lending us your RR and keeping me off the ramp last summer :)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
section 5.2.2.10.4 (spec excerpt attached) .
Good dope BzB Jr, guess that about nails it. Problem was, with all the foul smoke roaring out of the twin pipes, plus the required continuous grease job on the hook point, the white stripes didn't last long!;)
BzB Sr :cool: