• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35C Unable to Get Aboard Ship, really?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
ok, but the post in question:

the f-18 is one aircraft that has successfully served multiple services...

Um, OK- If you mean multiple countries sure.

Depends upon your criteria for successful for cross-service use. Lots and lots of a/c over time have served in the various services but the list of them that served with minimal modification is damn short. Anything modern between USAF and USN/USMC you can start with ripping out the a/a refuling system and replacing it with that service's. Not trivial.

In my mind, if you couldn't, in a day, swap the service ID on the a/c and have it full up as an asset (independent of acceptence inspection type stuff) it's not a common platform. IIRC the A-7 was one of the few that had probe and drogue refueling capability at the same time or at least I recall going through Buckley one time and parking next to a Colorado Guard one with the probe out.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
76 and 77 having only 3 wires and 4 arresting gear engines is a significant weight, maintenance cost, and manning savings over the old 4 wire and 5 engine design. The barricade engine (which is almost never used on older Nimitz carriers) doubles as a backup engine for the 3 wire so you have the same number of available engines without having to maintain an engine that almost never gets used. It takes 2 minutes to string a new CDP, so the additional risk in this design is pretty insignificant.
Being able to raise the outboard JBD on cat 2 is a product of the geometry of the landing area and the deck design. It allows you to load and launch Rhinos without fouling the LA. Props are still fouled by any engine exhaust on Cat 2, but that is a whole other issue.
I am still trying to forget all that shooter stuff, apparently not doing a great job.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
If memory serves, MIDWAY came out of her 4-year overhaul/conversion in 1970, with only 3 wires. She had received a new "supercarrier" big deck among other major changes including elimination of her class's unique 3rd (waist) catapult.
BzB
Hmm...lemme look outside my office window...yep, that sounds right!

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
IIRC the A-7 was one of the few that had probe and drogue refueling capability at the same time or at least I recall going through Buckley one time and parking next to a Colorado Guard one with the probe out.

I was just reading a book on the A-7 the other day and I believe that some of the first A-7's delivered to the Air Force did have probes.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Just FYI, F-105 Thunderchief was equipped with both types of air-air refueling. Note the door for AF style boom just in front of the Navy style probe.

f-105-dual-2.jpg

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I was digging for some info on how many "D's" were delivered with a probe - still looking.