• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35C Mishap CVN-70

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
from an old guy's perspective, how different is it from auto-throttle? basically, auto let's you point the nose (within reason) and it kept you on speed right? <put the velocity vector on the 3wire> does PLM also make it's own inputs to the control surfaces as well, based on where you tell it you want to go? how does it differ from flying the ball 'manually' without PLM or Auto?

if your answer is "go google PLM" that's ok too :)

At a very basic level (F/A-18 knowledge only here), PLM uses auto-throttle and direct lift control through automatic modulation of the trailing edge flaps, which yields an immediate lift response and eliminates the spool-up time of the engines for all but very large corrections. PLM helps dramatically with glideslope management, and effectively decouples lineup corrections from nose/power changes, meaning that in general, fewer pilot inputs are required while flying the ball. It's much easier and more precise than auto-throttle only approaches.

The best analogy I can come up with is it's like the difference between manually holding distance behind traffic on the highway, and using adaptive cruise control. You still have to steer, but a lot of automatic things are happening in the background to help you out.

johnboyA6E

None

really hope we know exactly where it is, and China doesn't.

i'm assuming China can get recovery assets there quicker, and they'd love to disassemble an F-35

maybe we have the right assets in Japan?

Tumbleweed33

really hope we know exactly where it is, and China doesn't.

i'm assuming China can get recovery assets there quicker, and they'd love to disassemble an F-35

maybe we have the right assets in Japan?
Is there a SOP for this kind of situation? maybe having a Large surface combatant monitor the area until the proper assets are brought in to recover? just speculating at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.