• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Why do Marines needs to buy C models? The Marine Corps doesn't get much out of a Squadron that is part of a CAG in our MAGTF. Some old guys around here have enlightened us that the Marine Corps presence on carriers is pretty much because the Navy wants more squadrons but doesn't want to pay for them. The Corps buying C models will create huge costs in training, maintenance, parts etc.... You would essentially be creating a whole new airplane. No other service is going to operate two versions of the airplane. Why should we?

Reconjoe

I highly doubt Big Red will ever purchase the C model (and I've yet to read or hear anything anywhere official to even suggest this). While they will most likely operate from amphibs, I've heard good arguments going both ways about big deck Carrier ops too. The biggest challenges would probably be with the Navy having to rework/change how they've done aircraft recovery operations as they would then be mixing conventional and VTOL landings together...and unlike a helicopter landing, the JSF might not be able to hover over the deck for more than a brief moment as exhaust temps will eat away/soften the deck eventually causing additional maintenance chaos for the Navy. I'm sure they're going to hate having us aboard pretty quickly.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Or just buy some Echos. I'm sure Boeing would love to sell you some.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
No other service is going to operate two versions of the airplane. Why should we?

Because we give up significant capabilities for the ability to perform STOVL?

I highly doubt Big Red will ever purchase the C model (and I've yet to read or hear anything anywhere official to even suggest this). While they will most likely operate from amphibs, I've heard good arguments going both ways about big deck Carrier ops too.

I recall reading something several months back in the Marine Corps Times, Gazette, or Combat Aircraft (can't recall which), that we were considering purchasing a number of C models. But who really knows...

Or just buy some Echos. I'm sure Boeing would love to sell you some.

I'd fly that thing in a heartbeat.

From all the sources I've seen, The Marine Corps seems to be committed to an all STOVL force. Just one more thing to differentiate themselves from the other services and highlight their unique capabilities and they tend to get what they want. I'm all for that, though i'm interested in how this'll all play out since big Navy isn't necessarily happy at the thought of losing the Marine squadrons from their integrated airwings. Maybe they'll find a way to operate the Bs off of aircraft carriers. I can't imagine we wouldn't be able to figure out some way of accomplishing that.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The Marines say they are committed to an all STOVL force. However, everyone I have talked to who is "in the know", including those at the very top of the decision making process have said that they expect to wind up with a mix of B's and C's. We will see, as there is still a lot to play out.

SoloDaNINJA

From all the sources I've seen, The Marine Corps seems to be committed to an all STOVL force. Just one more thing to differentiate themselves from the other services and highlight their unique capabilities and they tend to get what they want. I'm all for that, though i'm interested in how this'll all play out since big Navy isn't necessarily happy at the thought of losing the Marine squadrons from their integrated airwings. Maybe they'll find a way to operate the Bs off of aircraft carriers. I can't imagine we wouldn't be able to figure out some way of accomplishing that.

As a Wannabe Marine Aviator, I find the prospect of Marines no longer flying off super carriers depressing. (Even if they continue to fly off of them, but in STOVL mode only) Is it wrong to WANT to be able to land on a moving runway that small? <:O

Probably not. I'm sure just about everyone that joins the Navy to fly shares your enthusiasm for the boat. Besides it'll probably be a long long time before the Corps phases out every one of their hornet squadrons.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
As a Wannabe Marine Aviator, I find the prospect of Marines no longer flying off super carriers depressing. (Even if they continue to fly off of them, but in STOVL mode only) Is it wrong to WANT to be able to land on a moving runway that small? <:O

If you want to fly off the boat, why not go Navy? It's what they do.

SoloDaNINJA

If you want to fly off the boat, why not go Navy? It's what they do.

I dont mean to start a Navy vs. USMC debate, but I prefer the planes USMC flies, I love the idea of PLC, I love the idea of getting to do stuff like FAC. I prefer the USMC rank system and general way of doing things. Since I have no love for boats, I would much rather be trained to do Infantry things in addition to flight, instead of having to learn stuff related to sailing. I dont want to join the Navy, not get a flight school slot, and be assigned to soemthign related to sailing. Above all else, its as simple as I want to be a Marine. I have nothing against the Navy though.

Sonog

pilot
I'm more interested to see how/if they plan on using the F-35B for the EA/EW mission when the Marine prowlers go away.

SoloDaNINJA

That was going to be one of my questions, I dont see how 1 guy can manage to fly the airplane (even if its on auto-pilot) and complete the complex EA/EW tasks that normally require 3 men, not including a pilot.