• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
F-35B Loaded

A look at the Lightning with some beef on the hard-points, and apparently a 25mm gunpod on the center station...you've had a good run Harrier...:cry_125:

0000012333ae8b82de28708a007f000000000001.BF-3%20ordnance%202.jpg

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2009/08/first-look-at-dirty-f-35b.html

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Actually ... I don't know much about the -35, but the more I look at this thing, the more I like it. Looks, that is ... i.e., appearance.

>> I wonder if it will operate under the ol' rules for single pilot/single engine off the ship -- in other words, always in a section ... ???

And a gun 'pod'?? Again ??? I hope this one works better than any that have preceded it -- especially when carrier based. It seems like we just need to keep relearning the same lessons, over and over again ... :)

Lawman

None
One of my classmates is a former boom operator. Apparently its not just about Fuel flow in lbs per minute. When they (the AF) were deciding which to go to back in the 60's when all their fighters still had probe and drogues they experimented and could actually refuel more aircraft faster due to both the increased flow speed and actually increased speed to hook up since it was easier.

Plus honestly does anybody want to be the guy that tries this driving a transport with no chute?
TU-16.jpg

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I’m familiar with the B’s gunpod… I was being a little facetious. Hopefully it’ll work better than the Harriers gunpod.

It’ll be interesting to see how long the Corps will be able to maintain such a high tech & expensive aircraft. The avionics on it is going to be badass, when it’s working… if the way the Corps has taken care of the Hornets radar, ALR, ALE, FLIR over the years is any indication, I wouldn’t count on that “see-through” technology on the F-35B to “check 6”. And what about the special paint? I can’t remember how many times I’ve seen Hornet maintainers use a mallet & ducktape to fix something on the jet… and washing & painting the thing…the Corps has no problems flying a dirty jet with paint peeling off of it.

I just don’t get the point of buying such an expensive high tech jet just for CAS? Seriously, it’s cool to go out and do BFM, intercepts and SES, but that’s not the Corps job in the grand scheme of things... the Corps is going take the F-35B and strap on external fuel tanks & an external gun pod, hang a couple bombs on the wings to go along with the internal bombs and go do CAS. You can do that with a much cheaper & easier to maintain aircraft … or a UAV.

I just hope we don't take the Corps only justification for pointy nose aircraft... CAS & FAC(A) ... and punt it away...

SF

No shit...
I remember being in primary at Whiting and a Navy Hornet flew into to South Field to let guys do a walk around. This jet had just gotten off the first OEF deployment....and I remember looking at port horizontal stab and literally seeing chunks of nickle size carbon fiber/epoxy/composite or whatever coming off of the trailing edge.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
So do I have to give up my center-line tank just to fire a gun? I like my extra tank of gas while being able to fire the gun that I currently possess...

I guess if the guns mounted below the fuselage like that you won't be firing with negative G's at all. Not that I'd ever want to go and do that anyhow...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So do I have to give up my center-line tank just to fire a gun? I like my extra tank of gas while being able to fire the gun that I currently possess...

I guess if the guns mounted below the fuselage like that you won't be firing with negative G's at all. Not that I'd ever want to go and do that anyhow...

The normal mission configuration for the JSF is no drops.

Brett

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Thread derailing, if I might...

A4sForever[/B said:
>> I wonder if it will operate under the ol' rules for single pilot/single engine off the ship -- in other words, always in a section ... ???<<

Hey, A4s...Not familiar with "single pilot/single engine" section requirement off the boat...

Have "soloed" over the Caribbean, Atlantic, Med, & South Pacific on occasion...A1's & A4s, 1963-1966...(there's a couple stories buried in there I'll post about later). ;)

Was this a Fleet, CAG, Squadron requirement??

Anyone?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thread derailing, if I might...

Hey, A4s...Not familiar with "single pilot/single engine" section requirement off the boat...

Have "soloed" over the Caribbean, Atlantic, Med, & South Pacific on occasion...A1's & A4s, 1963-1966...(there's a couple stories buried in there I'll post about later). ;)

Was this a Fleet, CAG, Squadron requirement??

Anyone?

Hornet/Rhino almost always operate as a section - just how it's done.

Brett

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Pill_Hacker said:
For closer inspection:
mail

Thanks, PH...copy that. When I have time to relate my "Spad" stories, I'll detail this one:

My a/c suffers an in-flight structural casualty...lead is way the hell off my starboard side...I'm heading for the boat...#2 starts to slide in my port side ("Gonna look you over, Banty")...and lead says (I'll never fail to LOL whenever I recall this)...eight immortal words:

"I WOULDN'T GET TOO CLOSE TO HIM, BILL"