• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There have been rumors circulating around the jet VT's about this recently. Something about the first round of IP's being selected this coming year. It's good to see that the rumor mill is still alive and well.

Well, they're most likely not going to take guys from the VTs for that. If it follows the G transition, they'll take guys already at the VFA RAGs, VX and NSAWC/TG.

Brett

Waldo

Harrier Bubba
pilot
The first CO and six IPs of VMFAT-501 were selected last year. The CO is a Harrier pilot and the six IPs are a mix of Hornet and Harrier bubbas. Last I heard they had to report to Eglin by the end of the year. There is another F-35B transition board that should conclude within the next few months.

Best Regards,
Waldo

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Just like the V-22, I imagine you'll have a small group of developmental test guys, who will train the operational test guys. Those OT guys are going to be some of the board selected transition guys that have been picked recently. Between all those, they'll train the first FRS instructors, who will all be 2nd/3rd tour aviators.

Renegade One

None
I might as well be the first to ask...

Doing something way fun and cool after my 7 years of college has always been a dream of mine. I'm passing enough of my courses to not get kicked out, and have 23 arrests, but NO convictions. I plan to start a workout program some day as well. So what are my chances of getting F-35s? Can anyone help me?
:icon_smil

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
12.369875%... but that could go up depending how much beer you've consumed while in college and if you can get arrested again. :p

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

Doing something way fun and cool after my 7 years of college has always been a dream of mine. I'm passing enough of my courses to not get kicked out, and have 23 arrests, but NO convictions. I plan to start a workout program some day as well. So what are my chances of getting F-35s? Can anyone help me?

You forgot the part where your 27th birthday is next week and the recruiter hasn't returned any of your phone messages about age waivers... :D

jcj

But are you a private pilot?

beaverslayer

pilot
Does it bother anyone else that the acronyms "JSF" and "IP" aren't capitalized?

I actually capitalized those when I first wrote it, but when I published it they went back to lower case for some reason. It bugged the crap out of me, but I couldn't change it back. Thanks to whoever fixed that.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice vid. I especially liked the "Cinemax After Hours" soundtrack.

I've always wondered - why does the AF stick with the boom system when pretty much everyone else (us and foreign) uses probe-and-drogue?