• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did you Tomcat guys ALWAYS fly with a camera?

Deployed, they give them to us. Ashore, it's not required, but I always flew with at two (one slide, one print and sometimes one with Kodachrome) during the day, but that was before digital cameras. I only take one with me these days.

Deployed, they give them to us. Ashore, it's not required, but I always flew with at two (one slide, one print and sometimes one with Kodachrome) during the day, but that was before digital cameras. I only take one with me these days.

What's the story of the photo? We have a simular one up here with F-4 blowing canopies.

Conaway

What's the deal with the whole camera thing? I see videos and pics all the time, but are you allowed to bring one with you on flights from day one or what? I assume you just are not allowed to film anything in the cockpit because of sensitive material, correct?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's the story of the photo? We have a simular one up here with F-4 blowing canopies.

During Air Wing Det to Fallon, the Flag Chief of Staff jumped in backseat for appreciation ride of sorts. During negative G warm-up, he floated off the seat having not cinched his lap restraints. He CLAIMS he didn't grab the handle between his legs to pull himself back onto the seat, however the yellow and black painted handle was pulled and the seat performed as advertised. Luckily the ejection command handle was forward leaving the pilot to return to Fallon in his "convertible". The SWO Captain didn't volunteer for any other rides after that.

Word to wise, don't yank on anything painted yellow and black unless you know what you're doing (an experienced aviation flag officer from A-6 community blew a Tomcat canopy on deck by pulling the jettison handle for unknown reasons...he was AIRLANT so it was "his" airplane).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's the deal with the whole camera thing? I see videos and pics all the time, but are you allowed to bring one with you on flights from day one or what? I assume you just are not allowed to film anything in the cockpit because of sensitive material, correct?

Like I said, I always flew with a camera and after I proved myself somewhat proficient, the ship supplied me with film as they always need good pix for VIP purposes, etc. it's even easier in current digital age. Every squadron has procedures/guidelines for what can be photographed and what can't.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
During Air Wing Det to Fallon, the Flag Chief of Staff jumped in backseat for appreciation ride of sorts. During negative G warm-up, he floated off the seat having not cinched his lap restraints. He CLAIMS he didn't grab the handle between his legs to pull himself back onto the seat, however the yellow and black painted handle was pulled and the seat performed as advertised. Luckily the ejection command handle was forward leaving the pilot to return to Fallon in his "convertible". The SWO Captain didn't volunteer for any other rides after that.

Word to wise, don't yank on anything painted yellow and black unless you know what you're doing (an experienced aviation flag officer from A-6 community blew a Tomcat canopy on deck by pulling the jettison handle for unknown reasons...he was AIRLANT so it was "his" airplane).

I thought it was the BG AW, an Aegis CO.

Either way, some of my squadronmates were down there when it happened and the jackass was walking around the club saying he deserved free drinks because he punched out safely........Not if you are a moron you don't.........:(

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Either way, some of my squadronmates were down there when it happened and the jackass was walking around the club saying he deserved free drinks because he punched out safely........Not if you are a moron you don't.........:(

Maybe you're right...I do know he was an Aegis CO at some point and met him when he was working requirements at CFFC. I also talked to AMSO who ran MR and he confirmed his cockiness in denying he pulled the handle. Nobody who ever flew believed that one. He's lucky he was in proper position and walked away from that one.

Entropy

I know I'm new on this site, but I'm putting my 2 cents anyway. Last I heard, F-35 will be operational by 2011. But that doesn't really mean anything. I posted a similar question, but I have no responses, mine was just asking for updates. The thing is, it needs to be more about being a Marine and more-so a Marine OFFICER, than a pilot. The pilot should come a distant 3rd from the other two. I want to fly too, but being the Marine is more important to me. So if flying is all you care about, you're looking in the wrong side of the fence.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I agree, but WTF does that have to do with the F-35? Did I miss a rant where somebody was saying something about joining the Marines for the sole purpose of flying? I don't see where you're aiming....

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know I'm new on this site, but I'm putting my 2 cents anyway. Last I heard, F-35 will be operational by 2011. But that doesn't really mean anything. I posted a similar question, but I have no responses, mine was just asking for updates.

Your question was merged into this thread because it indeed so similar and was already being addressed realtime in another thread. Reread this thread and you'll see the updates you asked for and answers to your post. Also see the Marine Aviation Plan, which was just signed out although there are rumblings about a two year slide to right. You'll have to monitor the action on the hill to see what transpires with the four defense related committtees out of their conferences for next update.

When you have a question, please use search first and you may find it's already been addressed or even being discussed at that moment. Duplicate or similar threads will likely be merged.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor

He was the skipper of the NORMANDY. He was lucky he had both femurs still intact. He landed face first in a yucca bush though, and had some nice scratches on his face. In the club that night, he never seemed to figure out that everyone was laughing *at* him, not with him....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He was the skipper of the NORMANDY. He was lucky he had both femurs still intact. He landed face first in a yucca bush though, and had some nice scratches on his face. In the club that night, he never seemed to figure out that everyone was laughing *at* him, not with him....

Isn't that always the case with the Shoes?

Brett

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
He was lucky he had both femurs still intact.

Jeez, how fast were they going?

Your comment reminds me of an incident that happened a couple of years ago about the Viper guy from Shaw that was on an IP upgrade, G-LOC'd and came to going about 1.4 mach, pointy end towards the water at an unrecoverable altitude. He punched out and lived, but he compound fractured both femurs, broke his right wrist in 4 places, I believe it dislocated his elbow or shoulder on the left side and he cut his face up pretty bad. The rescue swimmer couldn't safely put him in the basket, so he stayed with him for about 45 minutes to an hour before a Navy boat came and got them.

Last I heard he is back flying though.