• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

HornyU2

pilot
None
8"x20" MFD, Finger-on-Screen capability, and new Helmet system, Brit-style g-suit and new, adjustable Martin Baker seat are some of the highlights.

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/archives/2006/articles/apr_06/front-office/index.html

f35interface_01.jpg

f35interface_05.jpg

f35interface_07.jpg

f35interface_06.jpg

-jai5w4

Isn't this the girl who does our safety video at Delta - you know, the one who wags her finger saying smoking is not allowed - Deltalina? Seriously, any Delta guys back me up here?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
She's kinda hot. Do you think modeling flight gear is the bottom rung of the fashion model ladder?

HornyU2

pilot
None
She's kinda hot. Do you think modeling flight gear is the bottom rung of the fashion model ladder?

Sweet...........................I think it's somewhere near the rung occupied by the AAFES military clothing models. Definitely near ground level.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Ah, the eternal redhead question,"Does the flight suit match the g-suit?":icon_tong

Reactions: Tom

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
F-35 air-to-air

Encouraging, but disappointing at the same time. You'd think that kind of money would trounce anything. On the other hand, the network and stealth capabilities may be the most valuable parts of the aircraft.

I don't think this is a repost, but I didn't check all 20 pages of thread.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
F-35 air-to-air

Encouraging, but disappointing at the same time. You'd think that kind of money would trounce anything. On the other hand, the network and stealth capabilities may be the most valuable parts of the aircraft.

I don't think this is a repost, but I didn't check all 20 pages of thread.

Yeah, I know the article is about the F-35's air combat capes, but if this were the only article you read about the whole program you would say "That plane isn't very awesome." In fact, it seems like the air to air business is all anybody can talk about, and I don't really understand why. Where are the articles about how it can drop a bomb with the accuracy the size of the spot on a lady bug's nutsack?

UpstateSouthpaw

On to Whiting North
If any one is interested I'm pretty sure there is an F-35 simulator at the P'cola O'Club, the brief they had for it was last Wednesday. Not sure how much longer it will be there.

Rass

Joint Strike Fighter and its impact on the Navy

With the introduction of the f-35 lightning II into the military, how do you expect this to affect the Navy in 2010-2020?

From what i have read from various spots on the internet, the f-35 will come the the AF and Marines first with the A and B versions of the Airframe, and the Navy will receive its C version last (somewhere around 2018??? if i remember correctly). I may have gotten bad info, enlighten me if this is the case.

Well my main questions are; how will this affect the Navy? Will those branches perhaps see a higher need for recruiting pilots and perhaps ask the Navy for some help? Will some NA's get a chance to learn the f-35 while it is under the AF's ownership? Will the huge influx of F-35's to the Air force cause them to have a big heart and slide a few f-22's to the Navy (can you blame me for my optimism)?

Anyway just a question i figured i would throw out there. It just seems to me with a new JSF airframe hitting the skys, there may be a serious game of pilot musical chairs on the horizon.

hendogg311

Nope. The Air Force doesn't have very many F-22's. So they definitely aren't sendung any to the Navy. Even if they did, it can land on the carrier. The Navy is happy with the Rhino for right now. I don't think recruiting will be any different than it is right now. There will be plenty of F-16 and A-10 pilots who will convert to F-35.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is possibly the sneakiest way I've ever seen someone ask "what are my chances of getting jets?"

To answer your question, though: the F-35 will be phased into service just like every other new platform ever. First to transition will be the RAG (or in this case, the Joint RAG at Eglin), which will train the initial cadre of instructors. Then Fleet squadrons will transition, which they do en-masse, handing in their old jets and training as a unit on the new ones. Usually the squadrons with the oldest planes go first, so the first to transition will probably be the last of the Charlie Hornet squadrons. A bit later, they'll begin training CAT I nuggets (new students out of the Jet pipeline). As the RAG's capacity for CAT 1 studs increases, they'll steadily increase their intake while steadily turning off the C-Hornet tap and reducing Rhino intake.

Of coure, that's just a general timeline, and they'll be a lot of swapping airframes and politics, but that's how it's done with any new airplane. The VAW's getting the E-2D and the VP's getting the P-8 will go more or less the same way.

So, no, barring anything weird, there won't be any great uproar when the JSF is introduced. And there's no chance in hell the Navy will get any F-22's.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Definitely a sneaky way to ask what are my chances at jets or what percentage get jets. Don't worry Rass, there will be plenty of helo spots for you if and when your time comes.