• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The F-22 is not going to get cancelled, it is pretty much impossible to do to a fielded system nowadays. A big decision looming though is just how many total they are going to buy. The last I remember it was 189, the USAF has been saying to anyone that listens that they desperately need more, but they may get stuck with what they have.

No, but Gates seems intent on delaying or holding the order - he's sitting on a downpayment for further aircraft, for example, and is quoted as preferring to spend the funds on the F-35.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122584363466799201.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
... my opinions in the matter are less than substantial.

I would disagree with you. I think your comments are well though out and opinions as valid as anyone else's, as no one knows what is coming down the track. It is all speculation. That said, I think the F-22 program, at the end of the day, will encompass the birds already delivered and those in the immediate delivery pipeline. To be sure, the AF has structured procurements for maximum output should the program be halted/cancelled. JSF different animal. Apealing because, like the F-111, it is an advanced aircraft that all services will use eliminating a lot of duplication.:eek::eek::eek: The USS Intrepid also comes to mind, a single flattop to meet all Navy requirements.:tongue2_1

What I do think I know is the mindset of the OTT. Maximum savings in short order. What I do know is that it takes a long time to save $$ by eliminating on-going programs. Years past, an incoming team decided to cut my agency by 25%, saving, by their figures, 1/4 of the annual cost or about $10 millions in round numbers. At their request I had the budget folks run the numbers and the costs for the first year exceeded any savings, second year a bit of savings but nothing near their expectations. After accounting for serverance pay, unemployment compensation to be paid to local Government, termination liability on contracts, cancelled leases on equipment, space and automobiles. We ended up with a more modest agency cut, a significant increase the following year and the year thereafter.

Having said all that you know as much as the rest of us on what will happen. It will be a great parlour guessing game for the next few months, however.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't forget the Beeman's Chewing Gum...

+1 for mentioning BEEMANS (I literally never fly without it!)

beemans_gum.jpg

spinspilot

The visor is what sells me with this guy :D

:eek: Sorta cool...umm, nevermind. I just wish I had one of those instead of a Powerwheels Monster truck. He could have just made an experimental aircraft. Probably mo $$$ but the coolness factor would exponentially increase. I'd have to watch the vid again, but I thought I saw confetti coming out of the jet nozzle, I almost pissed myself.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
^^^No, they might actually take some...they'll need ODOs so that the senior pilots they just took in the transition board can train and do OPEVAL.

I'm sure those guys will finish that tour with at least a couple hundred flight hours...in T-34s once they get kicked back to the TW to finish out their obligations.